AT&T 920 Unlock - Previous Account Holder "Bad Standing"?

DI77ON

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Need some help, new to unlocking process

Purchased AT&T 920 used on craigslist to unlock for use on T-Mobile. AT&T stated they could not unlock the phone because the previous owner's account registered to the phone's IMEI number was in "bad standing" (unpaid bill). The IMEI is NOT blacklisted or reported stolen, but AT&T would not unlock the phone.

Is there any other way I can unlock this phone, or plead my case to AT&T? Are there other companies that can unlock the phone?

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Humm. Sounds to me you are SoL. Too bad you cannot even go back on the person you bought it from. Technically they have not done anything illegal by selling you the device.

cndspec

May 29, 2013
Visit site
get an unlock code from cellunlocker.net. Have done both of the 920s in our house with codes from them. No problems. Quick service.

DI77ON

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Solution found, for reference

Like the previous poster stated, cellunlocker.net is a viable option, as their unlock codes are not based upon separate providers' account standing. You call them, they check your IMEI. If it checks out, they send you an unlock code for a fee. The only caution their rep gave me was to check with AT&T to make sure they would not disable the phone in the future.

When I called AT&T again to make sure they would not blacklist the phone's IMEI due to its previous owner having an account in "bad standing," they ended up giving me the unlock code. Why they decided to give me an unlock code the second time I called, I have no idea. Perhaps try calling at different times. If that fails, cellunlocker.net is a viable option (and legit it seems, their reseller rating is very positive: cellunlocker Reviews - cellunlocker.net Ratings at ResellerRatings)

spectre51

May 25, 2012
Visit site
I would also ask to talk to a supervisor. Them nit giving out the unlock code to you foe your account because someone else didn't pay their bill is ridiculous and not your fault. I would escalate it before paying for an unlock code.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
When someone doesn't follow through on their contract, carriers consider the subsidized phone not paid for. Because of this, carriers usually won't allow the phone on their networks anymore. I would get an unlock code from one of the unlocking websites. Just know there is a good chance the phone won't work on AT&Ts network anymore.

Word of advice: ALWAYS do craigslist phone deals at a carrier owned retail store. They will be happy to check the phone to make sure you don't have issues. It saved me from buying a bad GS4.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss