Lumia 1020 Wireless Charging Shell

JustlMe

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Lucky buggers , even after reading about some of the problems stil itching to try :evil: ,been looking to buy the yellow shell, just can't find it anywhere in stock besides ebay~ Wonder whats holding up the production, tons of black shells though xD

samuch

Nov 4, 2011
Visit site
After no consistent luck with 3 from the Microsoft store, my pre-order from Amazon shipped. Out of the box this one worked MUCH better however it's still not 100%. At about 4 in the morning I get that nice "ding-da-ding" sound from the phone letting me know it's started charging.

It seems like once it reaches close to a full charge it struggles knowing what to do and starts doing the unplug/plug thing repeatedly.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Well I finally got one of these things from Amazon on Friday. I've used it a couple of times since then and .... it just works. Simple as could be. Here I was thinking I'd have to maybe monkey with the pins or position the phone JUST RIGHT on the charging plate... nope. Just works, and charges quick too. Nicely done, Nokia.

I am removing the phone from the plate just after it finishes charging though. I've decided to try to give up overnight charging in an attempt to avoid possible long-term harm to the battery. Will see how it goes but so far so good.

I was also surprised by how much better the phone feels in the hand with this shell on it. It flattens it out and this makes it surprisingly easier to hold. The extra edges introduced on the sides aren't terribly comfortable but they seem like they might make the phone a little easier to grip.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Seem that if I position the phone on the dt-900 charging plate with about 1/2" of the bottom of the plate showing I get more consistent results. Try it;)
Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Board Express

drachen23

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones, but I've had the wireless charging sleeve for about a week and it's acted as advertised so far. I just clip it on and put it on the charge pad and it works. I've had no alignment or contact problems so far with the sleeve itself. The charging sweet spot is definitely lower on the phone than the Lumia 920 and the 1020 gets just as hot while charging from the pad. I've had good results aligning the bottom edge of the phone with the bottom edge of the charge plate.

Nabiscuit

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
Okay,

I stopped using the wireless charging shell.

As much as I like it: for me, it doesn't scratch the corners and it always works when i put it on the charger. But my 1020 dropped about 1 foot and hit some concrete. The wireless charging shell flew off the phone and I got a knick on one of the corners. Very sad about this. The old Nokia CC-1403 or whatever case that used to be on my 920 protected that thing like a boss. I was hoping to get protection AND wireless charging, but this thing only looks like it does one of the two things really well.

I bought that cheap one that WPCentral recommended. The $6 one. It showed up yesterday and already I can tell that this case is definitely going to protect it way better than the wireless charging shell.

I really loved the color of that thing and really wanted to use it as my daily driver, but if it can't protect a corner from a 1 foot fall then it's really not worth using. Just my opinion but wanted to share my experience with y'all. Cheers!

JetLife87

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I would just like to comment I am also having trouble with the charging shell. It works randomly, I wake up in the mornings to find out it didn't stay charging through the night. Hopefully we figure out a solution soon.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
@Nabiscuit, yeah I thought that would happen and I took my wireless shell off to. Also agree 100% that the CC-1043 was an amazing case for the 920. Hope Nokia makes a similar case for the 1020. Really should have made the charging case like that, more protection. I'm keeping my charging shell just in case I can modify a better case to use wireless charging.
Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Board Express

Heatnup

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Update: I ordered my Yellow Charging shell first. When it arrived, I ordered my Yellow 1020 from the Microsoft Store. Everything has worked perfectly. I place the phone on the same charging pad as I did with the 920. I do this at random times, but I also set it on there overnight and it works perfectly with no issues. I have n placement issues.

FYI, I much prefer using the phone with the charging cover on. Per the prior comments about using it as a case, I don't understand how ne could expect this little shell to be a case. It offers no meaningful corner or side protection. That said, I am going to use my phone without another case even if it could be used with the wireless shell as I am now using the lanyard cable and often wrap it around my wrist. Works well. Thanks for all your input.

clemgrad85

Jul 20, 2013
Visit site
I have been using the CandyShell case and have not tried the charging shell yet because I'm hoping for a better combination case/charging shell. Is anyone hearing that such an item will exist? Having just moved from the Palm Pre 3 to the 1020, I do miss being able to place it on a charger and forget about it, but I don't want to "invest" in all this charging equipment if there is not much protection at the same time.

Ruslan.al

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I've been having problems with wireless charging. I had to open up the holes on the phone to ensure constant contact with the cover.

Now, I'm getting random lockups when I place or remove the phone from the charger. While charging, the clock and flashing battery charge indicator will be displayed. I can double tap the screen and move around the phone. I'll let it re-lock and remove it from the charger. Now the phone is stuck with the glance screen on and there is no response from any button or screen tap. After a minute or so, the phone reboots. I'll get the same thing when putting the phone on the charger. I finish using my phone, lock the screen and place it on the charger. The clock is stuck on the screen, I don't get a charging notification and the phone becomes non-responsive. It will reboot after a minute or two.

It doesn't happen every time, but it does happen enough to make it annoying.

I having exactly the same symptoms now.. after using wireless cover

Jeebus137

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I was having issues with my 1020 charging cover not working with my nokia charging stand. I took it to the Microsoft Store and they switched it out for me and now it works great. Must be an alignment problem with a few of the charging shells...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786