Couple of Questions About Wi-Fi Calling

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've been going back and forth over whether I should take the plunge and get a 925 from T-Mobile. I currently am using an unlocked Rogers 920 since ditching my 810 but miss the AMOLED screen, lighter weight, etc. and was wondering about Wi-Fi calling on the 925... The other day, I was on T-Mobile.com and made like I was ordering a 925 just to see what the full price would be and saw a page of options that could be added, one of which was Wi-Fi calling for free. Now, my first question is, if I buy a 925 in the store instead of online, would it automatically include Wi-Fi calling? Second question is this - I know I could make calls via Wi-Fi calling in an area where I have no service, but could I get incoming calls through Wi-Fi calling as well?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers! :smile:

tollonodre

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
To answer your second question first, yes - both incoming and outgoing calls can go through WiFi. I have zero bars at home and the primary reason I have T-Mobile is for WiFi calling. It worked great on my old BB, haven't done in actually calling yet (other than a test call) with my 925 though I expect it to be similar. And as far as buying in the store, it will come with WiFi calling. As long as the phone supports it (and the 925 does) it's part of the standard T-mobile 'package'.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been going back and forth over whether I should take the plunge and get a 925 from T-Mobile. I currently am using an unlocked Rogers 920 since ditching my 810 but miss the AMOLED screen, lighter weight, etc. and was wondering about Wi-Fi calling on the 925... The other day, I was on T-Mobile.com and made like I was ordering a 925 just to see what the full price would be and saw a page of options that could be added, one of which was Wi-Fi calling for free. Now, my first question is, if I buy a 925 in the store instead of online, would it automatically include Wi-Fi calling? Second question is this - I know I could make calls via Wi-Fi calling in an area where I have no service, but could I get incoming calls through Wi-Fi calling as well?

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers! :smile:

There was a thread with a lot of good communication about WiFi calling (funny, you posted in it 8 months ago, haha) Although most of it at the start was "does it work yet?" which obviously has NOW been answered.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-810/203336-t-mobiles-wifi-calling.html

The WiFi calling like that is similar to Visual Voice Mail. Some carriers list it as a feature that you have to opt into...but it is still free.

It appears to work for incoming and outgoing calls. Basically, It completely replaces your phone searching for a cellular network as long as it has a WiFi connection.

Last edited:

Zombiai

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi,
1. I don't think it will matter, you may need to set up 911 address before using wifi calling.
2. Yes, you will be able to receive calls, in fact wifi calling will work in other countries, You can go to UK and call or receive calls at no additional cost.

drewsuruncle

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Wifi calling is standard on the 925 so it won't matter where you buy it.

Yes it will receive call on wifi.

I had all kinds of problems at my office with the 810, but since getting the 925 and using wifi calling have not had any issues with call or texts.

The one problem is sending pictures in texts on wifi for some reason doesn't seem to work. Atleast that's my experience so far (1 week).

Fiona M

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I bought the 925 strictly for the WiFi calling and it works brilliantly for that purpose. The only downside to this phone is how incredibly hot it gets at times, while charging and seemingly while online. Otherwise it's pretty great. If you do get it the WiFi app is preinstalled you must always switch over to WiFi calling both on the app and in the phone settings.

brandas

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The free wifi calling feature is not to enable wifi calling, as that always works, but to give people without unlimited minutes an option to have the wifi calls not count towards minutes. As others have stated, wifi calling turns off your cell radio and uses the wifi for SMS and calls in/out. MMS does not work - it's not supposed to according to t-mobile. However, personal experience on other phones say it can work but requires hacking the wifi calling app.

brandas

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you add the free wifi calling feature it give you unlimited wifi calling minutes. I can show you copies of my bill and the description of the 'free wifi calling' option for the phone lines if you like. I have a section for UMA minutes on my phone plan, those are unlimited and do not count toward regular minutes. If you do not have the 'free wifi calling' feature enabled on your line then it does use your normal minutes.

Fiona M

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes, you have to enable WiFi calling with T-Mobile they can do it for you or apparently you can change it online in the account settings. Select enable free WiFi.
For some reason I have found that changing my settings to WiFi calling was not sufficient I also have to activate the WiFi app that came preinstalled on this phone.

WereRat

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I've tried it back-to-back with regular cell calling to the same person (my wife) and I can definitely attest that call quality is noticably better (and it's quite good on cell) with Wi-Fi Calling.

You do need to be cognizant that if you start a call in Wi-Fi (sending or receiving), it *will* drop if you leave Wi-Fi range; it doesn't hand over to cell.

Musicman247

Aug 29, 2006
www.splashblog.com
If you add the free wifi calling feature it give you unlimited wifi calling minutes. I can show you copies of my bill and the description of the 'free wifi calling' option for the phone lines if you like. I have a section for UMA minutes on my phone plan, those are unlimited and do not count toward regular minutes. If you do not have the 'free wifi calling' feature enabled on your line then it does use your normal minutes.
Ah. Apologies. I did not realize Free WiFi Calling was a service on T-Mobile. I thought we were talking about the app. Free WiFi Calling does not show up in the list of options for prepaid accounts, btw.

brandas

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ah. Apologies. I did not realize Free WiFi Calling was a service on T-Mobile. I thought we were talking about the app. Free WiFi Calling does not show up in the list of options for prepaid accounts, btw.
Ah I was unaware that it was not an option for prepaid, will keep that in mind. I have a post-paid classic plan at this point, I suppose I should include that info about the wifi calling. Thanks.

associatedpress

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I think that WiFi feature does count towards your minutes. But also I think you guys are right in that theirs an option from T-Mobile to have it not count against your minutes. The caveat though I suspect is you have to be on a postpaid plan, ir have a plan that meets some sort of minimum cost. I don't see an option online in my $30 prepaid to enable free and unlimited WiFi calling. I'll try calling T-Mobile though later see what I can shake out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven