Gorilla Glass 2 may still get some scratches

Jayson Ragasa

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I wrote to Nokia just this week 20/07/2013 09:53:41 AM

I said,

Hi Nokia,

I bought my 2nd Lumia handset and it's 3 months old now. My first one was Lumia 900 and my new one was Lumia 720. I like them both for application development and fashion.

I want to go straight with the problem because I very upset and disappointed. I like the Lumia so much especially it is equipped with Corning? Gorilla? Glass 2!! But like I said, I was disappointed and upset after I saw my Lumia 720 got a deep scratch.

My phone accidentally dropped 1 and a half meter from my table. My phone was on top of the printer with some papers. My baby boy pulled these papers with my phone on top of it so my phone went with it and fell on the ground. I felt OK at first because I am confident it wouldn't get any scratches because the Lumia 720 is equipped with GLASS 2. After cleaning the dust on the screen, I noticed this little scratch and just by look at it, it looks deep.. and after feeling it with my nail, I get very upset, not with my baby boy, but with the product that claims to have a GLASS 2 that can stand any scratches. It's very disappointing because my Lumia 900 was tougher. My Lumia 900 fell so many times I lost count on it, and the screen was perfectly clean and scratch free! My Lumia 720 fell once and this is what I get.

Please watched them on Youtube and turn on the Caption
Nokia Lumia 720 Corning? Gorilla? Glass 2 - Deep Scratch after it dropped just 1 and a half meter - YouTube
This video is showing my phone and the scratch magnified 50x so you can see it better. By comparing to what I saw from CorningIncorporated's video about the GLASS 2 test here.
How tough is Corning? Gorilla? Glass 2? Corning puts it to the test. - YouTube
It got me thinking that my Lumia 720 does not have GLASS 2 on it. This is not what I expect from Lumia 720 equipped with GLASS 2

My Lumia 900 is made from Korea
and my Lumia 720 was made from China.

Sincerely,
Jayson Ragasa

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Is it the G glass that was actually scratched or that ClearBlack (CBD) they put on top the glass to filter the glare in bright sun?

Jayson Ragasa

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
With that info, now I am not sure.

You can a fit a hair strand on the scratch though.

How thick is CBD from Gorilla Glass? Wasn't Gorilla is supposed to be on top of CBD?

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is not scratch proof, it's scratch resistant. When any object like a phone falls and hits something sharp the resultant force can be far more than the 4 newtons shown in the demo video. A fall is unpredictable and, unfortunately for the OP, sometimes the falling phone lands or hits something in just the right way to exert tremendous forces on the screen. So while I empathise with the OP over the accident, dropping a phone can have disastrous consequences regardless of the toughness of the glass used. Corning have never claimed Gorilla can't be damaged or broken, only that it takes more force to do so than with most other products.

Jayson Ragasa

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
Gorilla Glass is not scratch proof, it's scratch resistant. When any object like a phone falls and hits something sharp the resultant force can be far more than the 4 newtons shown in the demo video. A fall is unpredictable and, unfortunately for the OP, sometimes the falling phone lands or hits something in just the right way to exert tremendous forces on the screen. So while I empathise with the OP over the accident, dropping a phone can have disastrous consequences regardless of the toughness of the glass used. Corning have never claimed Gorilla can't be damaged or broken, only that it takes more force to do so than with most other products.

well you're right :) so right now what I need is a good layer of screen protector. any suggestions?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss