1020 just rebooted for no reason

GolferChris68

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
Battery life has been excellent for me so far. I posted some details in another thread here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1020/235806-1020-battery-issues.html#post2064065

If I do heavy sustained usage - gaming, browsing, taking pics - sure, it takes its toll, but I haven't had a chance to do any of that for the past couple of days so I've been observing relatively light usage lately. A few minutes here, a few minutes there. Same kind of usage I was doing with my Focus S, and my battery life seems noticeably better, like an extra 12-24 hours maybe. Still kind of early to tell though. Also a new battery vs. one with a year or so of usage on it.

Thanks - very informative!

strikeIII

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
If you get a SIM card error it will cause the device to reboot. I remember seeing a quick SIM card error message then the phone automatically reboots itself to fix the issue. If it keeps happening then you may have a bad SIM card or SIM card tray. This happened on my 920.

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had 3 reboots and 2 freezes in the 2 weeks. All have been while charging except for the 1 reboot. Im not happy about the freezing part.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
So during my 2nd week, I've had two freezes. The first was when launching HERE Maps - it just froze at the splash screen for like two minutes. Completely unresponsive to button presses, I couldn't even power the thing off. I was wondering if it was just going to be stuck like that forever. Finally it rebooted, either on its own or in response to me holding down power + volume down for a while, not sure. Pretty crappy when I was on a city street trying to get directions and my brand new phone became a brick.

The second freeze was this morning. I forgot to disable vibration when I went to bed. Around 4AM it went to do a vibration notification for a new email and got stuck vibrating forever, waking me up. Again, completely unresponsive to button presses. I tried the power + volume down thing sooner this time and it seemed to work, causing the phone to reboot.

Now I'm starting to wonder if this is bad hardware or bad software, and what should I do about it... I never had a single issue like this with my Focus S.

Vinoth Di

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Got Lumia 1020 on Aug 08, since then i had atleast 300 reboots, 2 resets, 1 factory reset, etc.,
Almost 50% of the native apps crash, the screen stops responding for 4-5 mins. Sometimes it reboots itself, sometimes reset only fixes the issue.
Since I paid the full retail price to AT&T, I had to go to ATT Store to replace the device. They showed no interest in replacing the phone though I'm paying the monthly insurance.
Fighting with AT&T to get my device replaced.
Will never ever recommend Nokia Lumia 1020 or AT&T to anyone.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
FWIW I haven't had any more freezes since those two I described before, and haven't had a single spontaneous reboot ever (as far as I can tell). But I've taken several steps that may have helped:

1) Avoid HERE Maps - I've only used it 2 or 3 times in the last couple of weeks
2) Avoid vibration mode
3) Discontinued overnight charging via USB

I now do wireless charging during the day when the phone is in front of me, once every 2 days, and I take it off the charger as soon as Battery Sense gives me a notification that it's done charging. It takes about 2 hours to charge, and the reported battery level no longer hangs out at 100% for 4-6 hours like it used to.

Did this stuff make any difference? I have no idea. But the phone has been stable for me. *knocks on wood*

R0bR

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 1020 for about two weeks and I just experienced my second reboot (that I've noticed), it was just sitting there and BAM! Even the last time it was just sitting there and rebooted on its own. I replaced my 920, which my wife is using now, and it never rebooted on me once since February of this year. I have everything running on it just as I did the 920 but have not found any information to correlate. As for battery life it is at minimum double or more than my 920 with same use patterns and it generates less heat as well. If the reboots get to frequent I'm going to see about getting it replaced, picked it up at the Microsoft store and have the extended warranty so it would be a quick swap.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Well I have always seen new phones rebooting. My new lumia 1020 did rebbot twice soo far.after that no reboot. I have had it for 2 weeks now.it rebooted twice 1st week of ownership. Now no reboot.some of my android and bb have rebooted randomly.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss