Battery LIfe and the Lumia 925

vajnorcan

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
I've started the day with 100%, by the end of day I have around 45% which was nearly 30min constantly on the train reading and browsing (3G) with signal dropping out quite often, took 6 phone calls, couple of photos and checking the phone at least 20 times. not sure whether this is a lot or not, but I don't think it's an awesome performance. again, my wife's 720 is rock solid performer in everything and I would've bought that one knowing I'm running into issues like I have... no overly happy with 925. oh.. and btw, I've dropped it on 3rd day and scratched .. how lucky am I? :p

Matt Winward

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Thought I'd add my experience to the mix, just in case it's useful to anyone.

I've had my 925 for four days now. I've found that overnight it uses up a huge amount. So far I've measured it twice. The first night, I switched on flight mode and it used up 20% (compared to the iPhone's 2%). The second night I tried turning on flight mode, and turning off wifi and location services (just in case they still run in the background in spite of not being able to connect) and it used up 30%, which doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.

It's one of the very few disappointing things about the phone.

vajnorcan

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Thought I'd add my experience to the mix, just in case it's useful to anyone.

I've had my 925 for four days now. I've found that overnight it uses up a huge amount. So far I've measured it twice. The first night, I switched on flight mode and it used up 20% (compared to the iPhone's 2%). The second night I tried turning on flight mode, and turning off wifi and location services (just in case they still run in the background in spite of not being able to connect) and it used up 30%, which doesn't make a great deal of sense to me.

It's one of the very few disappointing things about the phone.

yep out of the box it's quite battery hungry. I've turned of "glance", turned off "double-tap wake up", set syncing to my live.com account to OFF, and syncing to gmail account every 30 minuts. in settings -> application -> background tasks, only battery, weather, currency widgets have the background task enabled. everything else is set to block. Voila, starting the day with 100%, ending it with 75% with light to moderate usage (3 phones calls, 7 texts, 2 photos, about 15 checks of emails, then couple of times the weather and currency and that's about it)
and I nearly forgotten.. I've set the 3G connection in my network settings, not 4G as I don't even have that in the service subscription. Reception in my unit is tricky (ihone 3GS could barely get any signal), but Lumia is great in this matter, but switches constantly (hunting 3G, HSPA+, E)

my tips?
- turn off glance,
- turn off double-tap
- make syncing more sensible (turn off syncing off account that you barely use (live.com?) and calendars you don't use)
- change the data connection in network settings to whatever suits you (3G over LTE)

hope that helps. IMHO : Lumia 720 is far better performer in nearly eveything than 925, except the photo and video, which was the top priority reason for my new phone.

and how "lucky" I was... I've dropped my phone on 2nd day ! f..k .. glass survived.. corner bit dented and scratched...

phasar

Banned
Sep 25, 2012
Visit site
The problem is in the OS, WP8 has a defect that causes processes to get stuck in the background. These processes can drain your battery 20% or more per hour, causing your phone to totally drain within 5 hours without any usage at all. That is why I wouldn't recommend WP 8 to a professional or businessman, because it may drain on you at work without your knowledge.

charles_chip

Aug 25, 2013
Visit site
its not background tasks. Its NETWORK. For confirmation, switch to 2g for a day and see the day and night difference.

my 925 on 3G --- 7 to 20% per hour consumption
.............on 2G --- 1% PER HOUR. Amazing battery life !!

Matt Winward

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
its not background tasks. Its NETWORK. For confirmation, switch to 2g for a day and see the day and night difference.

my 925 on 3G --- 7 to 20% per hour consumption
.............on 2G --- 1% PER HOUR. Amazing battery life !!

Interesting. I don't have 3G at work (in fact I barely have a signal) and I don't have 3G at home either. But I still lose 20% to 30% overnight whilst in flight mode. Maybe the fact that it's switched on causes the phone to keep searching for it?

I'll try previous suggestions and turn off glance and double tap and see if that makes a difference, and I may as well disable 3G as well seeing as I'm never somewhere I can use it!

Asleeper2

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Instead of setting the phone in flight mode, run it on battery save. I have found this is the best way to get the most battery life.

mriveaa

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
I've had the phone for 2 days now and today I went 22hrs on a single charge.Unplugged the phone at midnight woke up at 6:20 phone was at 96%.I spend 4-5hrs at work listening to Pandora,a couple of 5min phone calls,fb,txt,and the usual tapatalk forums.Honestly I wouldn't be able to accomplished that with my rooted S3.

FYI I have double tap and glance off.

Sent from my RM-893_nam_tmous_201 using Tapatalk

kendric84

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I've experienced this twice now, both times resorting to a hard reset to try and correct the problem. The second time, it didn't work. After doing some searching I found someone complaining about voicemail not downloading into visual voice mail and it reminded me that I saw the same thing on my device.

I went in to phone settings, switched it off, and restarted my phone and everything was fine. I later called my voicemail to find I actually had four messages, none of which had downloaded to my device. It must be getting stuck in some sort of loop trying to sync voicemail.

I couldn't care less about visual voice mail and I'm super happy I figured out what the problem was.

Jun Roxas

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I am on 4G LTE 24x7, 2 or 3 on the signal bars, internet sharing 24x7. Unplugged, it will only last 2, 3 hours tops. Must be plugged in all the time. I do know that it is like that because cellular 4G radios eat up a lot of power, and add to that the wifi radio used for internet sharing. Worse is the mediocare signal strength, so more power again needed to maintain the connection between me and the 4G cellular base station. But I am ignoring all that and counting my blessings that I have an excellent 4G data connection that saves me money and gets my work done hassle-free.

wpeightuser

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
After 1 week of using the phone, I average about 4-6%/hour battery consumption with light usage. Light usage is text messaging, some web/instagram/yelp browsing, Pandora/podcast (about an hour a day).

T-Mobile, mostly on LTE, with the occasional switch to 4G at the house. Typically strong bars. Glance set to Timed. Double Tap to wake on. Microsoft Account set to update once a day (can't seem to set it to manually sync). All other accounts set to manually sync. I've got metrotalk, bing weather, map program, hero drive set to run in the background. Usually on a strong wifi network most of the day. Battery life seems to be on par with my iPhone 4s. Although I feel it does drop quickly when I use it heavily.

anon(8238064)

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
Just got myself a Lumia 925 last night. Drained and recharged for about 8.5 hours. Started this morning with 100%. After some intensive settings and downloading of apps, battery went down to 75% in just an hour. A bit too much for my experience. Went online on my desktop for comments and recommendations on battery preserving tips. Conslusion, turn off almost everything if you want to get the most of the battery, it seems. Smartphone?
Anyway, I will go go on experimenting with the phone and see if there's a way around this issue. Useful advice from common users appreciated.
Battery status now 61% after being left alone for three hours.
Nevertheless, loving the form factor of the phone. Got to get a flexible PU case though. Got slipped out of my hands a couple of times already in less than a day.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Just got myself a Lumia 925 last night. Drained and recharged for about 8.5 hours. Started this morning with 100%. After some intensive settings and downloading of apps, battery went down to 75% in just an hour. A bit too much for my experience. Went online on my desktop for comments and recommendations on battery preserving tips. Conslusion, turn off almost everything if you want to get the most of the battery, it seems. Smartphone?
Anyway, I will go go on experimenting with the phone and see if there's a way around this issue. Useful advice from common users appreciated.
Battery status now 61% after being left alone for three hours.
Nevertheless, loving the form factor of the phone. Got to get a flexible PU case though. Got slipped out of my hands a couple of times already in less than a day.

Give your phone a few weeks or even over a month so that the battery can properly calibrate. You will see a drastic improvement in battery life in time. This is normal.

Praveen George I X

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I do have the same issues with battery....
u try this one
settings- swipe left-(applications)- disable background running apps.
dont kknow whther it will work.....
but i wish so...

Armin Mhd

Nov 16, 2013
Visit site
I literally get absolutely garbage battery life. If im text for twenty minutes if drains 8% battery life. Like seriously!!! I've had this phone for more than 8 weeks and its really annoying that's like literally the only thing that pisses me off. Like have it connected to LTE and it just can't freakin do anything. If I play a game for 5 to 10 minutes there goes 8%.....WTF I bought it from T-Mobile can I go talk to them or should I go to a windows store? Anyone else who keeps it on LTE and gets crappy battery life or do others get good battery life cuz if I know its me then I'll be pissed and suck it up but if it is specific phone then I'll be pissy and get them to give me a new one

im getting the same too and ive switched the phone 3 times. They say its gonna get better on black firmware. I hope so cuz tmobile is not switching mine again haha!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786