Water damaged HTC 8X

Gaffney

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
So I was caught in a thunderstorm and I had to make a phonecall to get picked up. There was no shelter near me and I just covered the phone with my hand. 10 minutes later the phone started to reboot every 5 seconds, it vibrated, the screen lit up with the HTC logo and then it shut off. Pressing the power button wouldn't stop it so I just had to wait until the battery ran out (another 20 minutes). I then put the phone in a warm place (on top of a boiler) and left it overnight to dry.

In the morning the phone came on, it was completely fine and everything worked but the battery was low as I only charged it for 5 minutes. The phone ran out of charge then it started rebooting every 5 seconds again and I've not been able to get it to work since then.

When I put it on charge now (3 days later), the charging light doesn't come on and it reboots every few seconds with the HTC logo coming up. When I take it off charge the phone still reboots for another 10-20 minutes depending how long I put it on for but the screen stays black, the HTC logo doesn't show.

My assumption is that the phone has short circuited and it would be cheaper just to buy a new one. But is there a chance it could just be the power button or the battery that has broken? In the last 3 days I've also got a moisture absorber and placed it in a seal container with the phone.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
That unlucky, it must have been some heavy rain, see if the place where you purchased the device will give you a replacement or get in touch with HTC and see where it goes from there.

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

Did you get anywhere with HTC repairing the phone? The exact same thing happened to me at the weekend - rain, necessary call, infinite reboot cycle.

jibzoiderz

Jan 28, 2014
Visit site
Well it means that IT IS WORKING except it is shutting itself down to protect the internal chips....i recommend not to turn it on again unless repaired, because if you repeatingly turn it on the more the circuits are damaged..........

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo