Lumia 928 not getting the love?

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyone else notice that the folks at WP Central seem to consider the 925 one of the better if not best WP device available short of the 1020? It seems that in reviews it comparisons the 925 is usually the device mentioned it even the 920 when you think flagship.

I'm a HUGE fan if the 928 and I suppose that I feel it may not be getting the love it deserves. Anyone else notice a bias or feel the same? I welcome your comments on why the 928 deserves or may not, deserve more love from the WP Nation.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I've only had my 928 for two days now. I haven't noticed much difference compared to my 822, yet. I expect to have a better opinion after a couple weeks.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
The main reason for this is that the 928 is specific to Verizon Wireless. The 920, 925, and 1020 are supported by multiple carriers and are international.

928 is the Nokia flagship for VZW, but that's it. It is a fantastic device, though.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
If you are talking about the comparison shots between the 1020, 925, and 920 then you have to keep in mind that the 920 and 928 have the same exact camera. The only difference is the xenon flash which didn't matter in the comparison shots they took. Shooting aside I agree with Rohanj, why put the spotlight on a device that no one else can use besides Verizon users?

thecaringkind

Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
The exclusivity is a big factor. Just think its a little unfair to call the 928 the '920 on Verizon'. The differences are more substantial however both are very good phones overall. I've had the 920, loved it but like the 928 even more. I suppose that the moral of the story is that exclusivity kinda sucks. :)

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Shooting aside I agree with Rohanj, why put the spotlight on a device that no one else can use besides Verizon users?

Why put a spotlight on a 1080 as it's a LOCKED to AT&T phone ? Why put a spotlight on the 920 when it was released it was also LOCKED to AT&T ? (at least in the US) Verizon does not lock their LTE phones (requirement by FCC) but, AT&T and TMOUS does.

Also knowing people are buying a 928 to use on other networks world wide or other carriers...

Still the fact of the matter WPcentral only noted that was released, Not even a small review or anything on it, even if it is a upgrade in some aspects..

Then we get the comment, just a 920 on Verizon, lets see, it uses a different screen, a new flash and a few other updates(size, case etc).... Let's look at the 925, yep, a slimmer case(because it loses wireless charging) a hair bit better camera but otherwise, it's exactly the same as a 928 (same screen). Oh, let's look at the 1080...besides the 2gb and a better camera....IT"S THE SAME EXACT PHONE AS A 920 or 928....

If we can do different reviews on all the other models, and even though they are close to all the models but, Wpcentral blacklisted the phone and never gave it a review or more than "it's released"...Even though WPcentral is based in the US AND the 928 is on the largest carrier in the US...

Yep, I agree, WPcentral gives NO love to the 928....

Square85

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
Yea, I kind of agree that it isn't getting much love. When I picked mine up recently, the sales rep tried to sell me a MicroSD memory card and I had to tell him the phone doesn't have a memory card but does have 32GB of memory. Then he proceeded to try and tell me that the sim tray on the top was in fact for the memory card and the phone didn't take a sim card. Then the best part, the rep couldn't get the sim card into the tray. Another rep finally came over after watching him struggle for almost five minutes trying to put it in.

No love...

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Why put a spotlight on a 1080 as it's a LOCKED to AT&T phone ? Why put a spotlight on the 920 when it was released it was also LOCKED to AT&T ? (at least in the US) Verizon does not lock their LTE phones (requirement by FCC) but, AT&T and TMOUS does.

Also knowing people are buying a 928 to use on other networks world wide or other carriers...

Still the fact of the matter WPcentral only noted that was released, Not even a small review or anything on it, even if it is a upgrade in some aspects..

Then we get the comment, just a 920 on Verizon, lets see, it uses a different screen, a new flash and a few other updates(size, case etc).... Let's look at the 925, yep, a slimmer case(because it loses wireless charging) a hair bit better camera but otherwise, it's exactly the same as a 928 (same screen). Oh, let's look at the 1080...besides the 2gb and a better camera....IT"S THE SAME EXACT PHONE AS A 920 or 928....

If we can do different reviews on all the other models, and even though they are close to all the models but, Wpcentral blacklisted the phone and never gave it a review or more than "it's released"...Even though WPcentral is based in the US AND the 928 is on the largest carrier in the US...

Yep, I agree, WPcentral gives NO love to the 928....

Your splitting hairs at this point. Some people may be buying the 928 to use elsewhere but there aren't many. The 920 is an international device, so is the 925, and the 1020. The 928 even if its unlocked is a US only Verizon exclusive. There is no point for WPC to use a phone in comparisons that a good majority aren't able to access easily. If you wanted to argue that Verizon isn't showing the 928 enough love I would jump on that bandwagon :) ...so much for the Droid like campaign treatment.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Your splitting hairs at this point. Some people may be buying the 928 to use elsewhere but there aren't many. The 920 is an international device, so is the 925, and the 1020. The 928 even if its unlocked is a US only Verizon exclusive. There is no point for WPC to use a phone in comparisons that a good majority aren't able to access easily. If you wanted to argue that Verizon isn't showing the 928 enough love I would jump on that bandwagon :) ...so much for the Droid like campaign treatment.

I guess to each their own... If WPcentral is giving all the love to all the other models....even though it's a tiny difference between models(as you say, splitting hairs) but, wont give any love to the flagship phone on the largest carrier in the US then oh, well...

I guess it's too late anyway, it's no longer a new phone. I guess WPcentral has proven their point, they could give a crap less about the largest US carrier's flagship WP devices. Really but, god forbid a new model comes to AT&T or T-MO with very minor changes, there is a review up within a few days...it really shows their view... Oh yea, a sprint phone shows up...dam 2 days before a review shows up...and it's a low end model.

Honestly, it changed my view of WPcentral for good....It's no longer my only source for WP news...

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Like Beast of Haeven said, it's not really any more complicated than Lumia 928 simply being on a one single carrier in the world.
Lumia 920, Lumia 925 and Lumia 1020 in a other hand are global phones.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
I guess to each their own... If WPcentral is giving all the love to all the other models....even though it's a tiny difference between models(as you say, splitting hairs) but, wont give any love to the flagship phone on the largest carrier in the US then oh, well...

I guess it's too late anyway, it's no longer a new phone. I guess WPcentral has proven their point, they could give a crap less about the largest US carrier's flagship WP devices. Really but, god forbid a new model comes to AT&T or T-MO with very minor changes, there is a review up within a few days...it really shows their view... Oh yea, a sprint phone shows up...dam 2 days before a review shows up...and it's a low end model.

Honestly, it changed my view of WPcentral for good....It's no longer my only source for WP news...

any other reliable sites

Sent from my mwp6985 using Tapatalk

odin09

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
Like Beast of Haeven said, it's not really any more complicated than Lumia 928 simply being on a one single carrier in the world.
Lumia 920, Lumia 925 and Lumia 1020 in a other hand are global phones.

The 928 may be on a single carrier but has outsold the 920 in the u.s. What really burns me though is the wpcentral promised a 928 review and when it was delayed again promised the review. We can all criticize Verizon for their lack of support but wpcentral also deserves the criticism.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The 928 may be on a single carrier but has outsold the 920 in the u.s. What really burns me though is the wpcentral promised a 928 review and when it was delayed again promised the review. We can all criticize Verizon for their lack of support but wpcentral also deserves the criticism.

Do you have a source for that statement? I would love to rub that info in a friends face.

Even if the 928 outsold the 920 in the US it didn't outsell it worldwide. WPC has to cater to more than just the US so I'm sure it's not going to be a priority for them. The 928 and 822 have done well for Verizon in the US but the US is just one piece of the WP pie, and it's not a big piece.

maevinj

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Do you have a source for that statement? I would love to rub that info in a friends face.

Even if the 928 outsold the 920 in the US it didn't outsell it worldwide. WPC has to cater to more than just the US so I'm sure it's not going to be a priority for them. The 928 and 822 have done well for Verizon in the US but the US is just one piece of the WP pie, and it's not a big piece.
I believe the US is the 3rd largest mobile market in the world. You would think that an exclusive phone on said markets largest carrier would be something you would want to cover.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
What can you expect from a site which treats the majority CDMA like dirt because they prefer GSM (and I include major, regional, postpaid and prepaid). If you think you have been treated bad, check how devices on Sprint and US Cellular are treated.

Fred Flintsone1

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I love mine. Had it 15 days. Great photos, audio , platform Problem is not hardware. Windows store apps is loaded with not ready for prime time apps full of bugs. Company like MapQuest promotes a voice turn by turn navigation app that adjust to driver getting lost. Fiction, total BS . App does no such things(multiple email inquiries to MapQuest customer went unanswered) and MapQuest ain't the only company doing that. Too bad apps that do work do so better than Android, g mail, Pandora, metro tube that runs you tube better than Google did on my android but app reviews on windows store app reviews are pure fiction. That windows store is the wild wild west. Too bad I love Lumia and user friendly very quick ,customizable WP platform but like I said some serious false advertising going on in Windows store tons of not ready apps say otherwise. Lumia 928 is promoted as 17 hrs of battery life with continuous use, 21 hrs standby, also pure fiction. Nav or music eat up my battery up in 3 hrs which is normal, carry car charger

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I love mine. Had it 15 days. Great photos, audio , platform Problem is not hardware. Windows store apps is loaded with not ready for prime time apps full of bugs. Company like MapQuest promotes a voice turn by turn navigation app that adjust to driver getting lost. Fiction, total BS . App does no such things(multiple email inquiries to MapQuest customer went unanswered) and MapQuest ain't the only company doing that. Too bad apps that do work do so better than Android, g mail, Pandora, metro tube that runs you tube better than Google did on my android but app reviews on windows store app reviews are pure fiction. That windows store is the wild wild west. Too bad I love Lumia and user friendly very quick ,customizable WP platform but like I said some serious false advertising going on in Windows store tons of not ready apps say otherwise. Lumia 928 is promoted as 17 hrs of battery life with continuous use, 21 hrs standby, also pure fiction. Nav or music eat up my battery up in 3 hrs which is normal, carry car charger

Battery life will vary but it sounds like you use your phone A LOT.

Sean Miller4

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
Third largest in the world doesnt mean much when the 2nd largest is 3 times bigger than US and the 1st is 4 times the amount of cell phones in use. The 1st and 2nd combined excluding US is almost 2 billion, phones, to US 300 million.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb