Is there anyway to get rid of that annoying swipe screen?

ChuckOp

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
No, and here is why

The reason is that the phone can power on accidentally in your pocket or bag very easily.

If that happens, then any additional bumps activate apps, etc.

Also, while there is a display time out of 1 or more minutes, the lock screen timeout is much shorter; 5 seconds to dim, then off after 10 seconds.

This saves battery life, because accidental bumps that activated the phone only turn on the screen briefly. Otherwise, if the power button is bumped in your bag or pocket, the display will be on and active for at least 60 seconds each time, with any touches resetting the timer for another 60 seconds minimum.

Anything that bumped the power button is likely to keep occurring and keep the display turned on and the phone fully active.

Without the swipe gesture, the battery would be drained quickly just from being moved around.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
You mean the lock screen?
You can't. The lock screen is pivotal as it also shows pending notifications, and is also a full screen live tile in its own right.

Also, accidental unlocks. You'll have a valid reason to get rid of it once Nokia fully ports their Sleeping Screen to Windows Phone, notifications and wallpaper and all.

Doug Swallow

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Re: No, and here is why

The reason is that the phone can power on accidentally in your pocket or bag very easily.

If that happens, then any additional bumps activate apps, etc.

Also, while there is a display time out of 1 or more minutes, the lock screen timeout is much shorter; 5 seconds to dim, then off after 10 seconds.

This saves battery life, because accidental bumps that activated the phone only turn on the screen briefly. Otherwise, if the power button is bumped in your bag or pocket, the display will be on and active for at least 60 seconds each time, with any touches resetting the timer for another 60 seconds minimum.

Anything that bumped the power button is likely to keep occurring and keep the display turned on and the phone fully active.

Without the swipe gesture, the battery would be drained quickly just from being moved around.

When I had a Samsung Focus S, before getting a case for it I experience near constant pocket activations and really poor battery life because of it -- pushing the button AND it sliding around enough to push the screen up enough to turn on. Heck, just as often I'd turn it off in my pocket. Only because the buttons are stiffer has that not been a problem on my Lumia 920 or 1020. There needs to be more options in how that lock screen functions. I'm never sure there's a proximity sensor on these phones because if there were that certainly should part of the activation process -- something in proximity should prevent a swipe, for instance. An option for either a two-distinct-fingered swipe or a pattern swipe would certainly help. And in the interest of permitting people to use their phone the way they want, allowing there to be no swipe and just directly activate from the button press should be an option as well.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: No, and here is why

What the heck? That never happened with my Focus S and I never used a case for it. I don't think the power button ever got accidentally pushed while in my pocket, let alone a false swipe. I'm in awe that you were able to do that.

I actually miss the power button on the Focus S now. It felt better to me than the one on the 1020 but I can't quite pin down why. Maybe I just need to get used to the different feel.

As for swiping to unlock, after 2 years I'm very used to it but I agree that there should be an option to skip it. I highly doubt MS would ever give us such an option though.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Not a huge fan of the lock screen either, i'd at least like the option to disable it. While i can understand why people like them, I have all my important Apps as tiles on the main screen, so i don't really need the pretty picture/notification side of things.

Or even better, a location aware lock screen..so if i'm at home using my wifi it knows that and disables the lock screen if i've set it like that.

Qtweeder

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
not that it will bug me on the incoming 1020, but this ONE reason i love my nokia n9, i was able to edit a file to dictate that a double tap to wake go straight to home screen, bypassing the usual lock screen, and if i use the power button to wake, it will still show the lock screen! :) the power of meego

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte