Lumia 720 screen blackout

djay_434

May 19, 2012
Visit site
hey,
i recently purchased a Lumia 720 and have been using it for about 20 days.

4 days back when i plugged in the phone to a wall charger (using the original Nokia charger) my phone display stopped working.

i tried doing the Soft Reset (holding the power and volume key for 10 seconds) but the phone just doesn't vibrate or boot up. However, when i plug the phone to my laptop - it shows the phone contents. I have tried everything - lest taking it to the service centre.

any help would be much appreciated.

djay_434

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Laura for welcoming me to the community.

I went through the FAQ from Nokia page and unfortunately both Soft and Hard reset steps don't work for me.

The screen does not work - im not sure what else to do; will probably have to take it to Nokia Care centre.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Laura for welcoming me to the community.

I went through the FAQ from Nokia page and unfortunately both Soft and Hard reset steps don't work for me.

The screen does not work - im not sure what else to do; will probably have to take it to Nokia Care centre.
I'm sorry to hear hard reset didn't work either. 😞

Yes, I'd recommend taking it to Nokia Care in that case.

Please let us know what happens. I hope Nokia gets it sorted quickly.

muhdalam

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hello. I had this same issue twice on my 720. My diagnosis is the screen stops working but everything else is working fine. My phone even rang when I called it from another. To solve it, I held the power button only for a few seconds and after the vibration I slided down on my screen. The phone then shut off and when I restarted it everything was fine. Just imagine that you are switching off your phone. Hold the power key, after vibration slide down on the screen and it'll turn off. After a minute, turn it back on the normal way. No need for soft or hard reset.

Hope this solves it for you!

Cheers!

djay_434

May 19, 2012
Visit site
thanks Muhdalam.

Finally the device now works -

After about a week of being dead and trying every possible documented way this is what I did -

1. Unplug the charger from the phone, press and hold the power button for 5 seconds. Switch off the phone (even though the screen is blank, swipe your finger down as if switching the phone off)

2. Do a soft reset - normally this is about 10 seconds of long press of Volume low + power button; for me I had to long press for about 15 seconds.

The phone now vibrates and restarts.

Hope it helps for people who face it.

-Djay.

bijendra

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Just in 72hrs Lumia 720 is dead !!
I plugged in the charger yesterday and its boom. There were atleast 5 people at Nokia care for similar or different issuses with Lumia 720.
However they refused to replace the device after a lot of argument. Then I went to the shop from where I bought it as he promised me to replace it with in 5 days.
Now, waiting for the new device. As it comes I am going to sell it to the shop owner or in OLx.
I bought this phone with a lot of expections from NOKIA and TRUST for quality. I am DONE !! They don't deserve it.

Good bye MS and NOKIA

djay_434

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Rein in your horses my friend!

First of all, quite sad to know about your disappointing experience, but then again - try the solutions which I mentioned above in this thread. In all likelihood you will get the phone up and running.

Regarding the experience you had with Nokia Care, I would suggest that you drop in an email to the global Nokia help desk mentioning in detail the entire experience and the event flow. I'm sure they would be able to help you out.

-Djay.

stranger4you

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
when i bought lumia 720 after 2 days its screen goes black ... that time i really disappointed then i tried soft reset (volume low + power button) and finally it started....!!!!!!! again after 2 days same thing happen frm there i haven't got any problem

Cinderella RT

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site

raj2chirp

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Everything said here is just about getting through the problem. Can we know why is this happening and what is the ultimate solution for it. I am quite happy with my phone but it happened twice that it just went blackout and nothing seems to be working. However, it awakened by itself and everything was normal again. Can we try to find the root cause and it fixed once for all..

Lohi Uppalapati

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi,
I have the same problem! But even worse, my touch isn't working and my volume down key isn't working. Only back button, windows button and search button work sometimes. Some one help me out with a solution.

Thanks,
Lohi

djay_434

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Hello Lohi,

I'm not sure how to help you out here - if there hardware buttons itself are not working then I suppose you have no other option than to see the Nokia Doctors (read the service centre).

Hope they can fix the issues! Update the thread on how it goes.

-Djay.

Lohi Uppalapati

Feb 16, 2014
Visit site
Hi Djay,
Thanks! I got it repaired from service center. They say some dust problem. Today the blackout happened again, but i rebooted as i got my hardware keys fixed.

Ullah Ashif

Feb 27, 2014
Visit site
Thanks Djay,

its really help to to solve my issue.
i would like to suggest to every one please do not pull the power cable from mobile charging slot directly.
first switch off the switch and then do it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karyrney