My Ativ gps takes a long time to locate me.

dw852

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi dudes,
I don't know my gps is broken or what, it takes a long time and many tries to locate me. My friend has a Nokia 820, his gps locates him at almost no time.
How about you guys? Is that because my gps is not working? It seem there is nothing I could do to do setting.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
How long does it take to locate you? Anything above ten seconds is abnormal for any modern smartphone.

If it really bugs you, try a soft reset to shake things up. If that doesn't do anything, try having it fixed or return it.

dw852

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
It takes at least 15~20 mins and I have to re-try many times. I do turn my mobile off every night. Is that already soft reset? What else should I do before I take it to repair center?
One thing funny. When I turn on the map at home, it would locate me very fast, but not outside. That's why I didn't pay attention to it 'till I used it yesterday outdoor.
Thx.

Last edited:

mms-pc

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
>>Anything above ten seconds is abnormal for any modern smartphone.

Not really, the signal reception sometimes may be interfered by buildings surround, or weather condition in your current location, the location lock time will significantly vary.

Jean_Philippe VERT

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I had the same issue at the beginning. Then I downloaded maps locally which solved all my issues.
It seems it was not the GPS itself but access to the map from remote servers.

dw852

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Thank all.

It is getting better a little bit. I've found that whenever I switched off and on my mobile, the gps takes forever to search for location at the first time. So, I didn't switch off my mobile at night as usual, and it locates me "OK".
But still when I test the gps with my friend who got a Nokia 820, it always pin the locations right away and mine is locating, locating and locating sometimes. So, my conclusion is : Nokia 820 is doing a much better job than my Ativ on the gps. :p

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs