928 GDR2/Amber?

papaduxx

Jul 14, 2013
Visit site
Third quarter is this quarter.. so whats the problem?

I forgot to write she actually mention the 3rd quarter and then said looks like September. I mentioned I have been hearing August but she left it at what Nokia told her. Also that means its not even ready yet like the other carriers, Verizon still in testing ...no telling how long that could be.

Last edited:

Booston

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I forgot to write she actually mention the 3rd quarter and then said looks like September. I mentioned I have been hearing August but she left it at what Nokia told her. Also that means its not even ready yet like the other carriers, Verizon still in testing ...no telling how long that could be.

Typical Verizon 😒

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
Just talked to a Verizon rep about the Amber/GDR2 update, she sad she would call Nokia to ask them what the eta was. i am not sure i believe that she actually called Nokia but she stated that Nokia said 3rd quarter if testing goes well.. That sucks but hopefully it will be sooner.
If you believe that ANYONE at Verizon who spends any amount of time at all talking to customers knows more than 50% of what we know just here in this forum, I've got this bridge I'll let go real cheap...

The phone jockeys are about as reliable for information as your average car salesman. The final stage of testing is carrier testing, so Nokia likely wouldn't be able to tell a customer when an update will come out.

Verizon is notoriously slow to release updates, so don't hold your breath either way.
Nah - used car salesmen are FAR more reliable than phone company support reps. :wink:

awilliams1701

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
On a 928 your phone should already have come with GDR 2 on it, I believe? I know the 925's and 1020's have it on already and the 928 was released around the same time.

Nope that's why the 928 came out first and the 925 and 1020 came out nearly at the same time. We have GDR1.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
On a 928 your phone should already have come with GDR 2 on it, I believe? I know the 925's and 1020's have it on already and the 928 was released around the same time.

No the 928 doesn't have GDR2. I checked mine against the one at the Verizon Store and both have the same version. Verizon is notoriously slow at rolling out the updates. It's primarily due to ensuring it works on Its network without opening up security holes.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
No the 928 doesn't have GDR2. I checked mine against the one at the Verizon Store and both have the same version. Verizon is notoriously slow at rolling out the updates. It's primarily due to ensuring it works on Its network without opening up security holes.

I just hope they plan on fixing Group texting in this update (A quote from a corp rep, was it's finished and will be released on the next major update) as well as all teh GDR2 updates...

preludepunk27

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I've been in a battle with Verizon via the BBB over this. They just say it will be fixed during a "mid year" update. My stance is if the iPhone had this issue, it would have been fixed within 1 week and the entire planet knows that's true. Verizon historically is slow with fixes and historically doesn't like Windows OS. They could care less about us until Windows makes a bigger dent in market share. Until then, this is the garbage we're gonna have to put up with. Honestly, any problem you have with Verizon, instantly should file a complaint with the BBB. Bringing down their customer satisfaction ratings or Microsoft finally dumping money into marketing for the OS (since Nokia seems to be the only one doing this) are the only 2 ways Verizon is going to give a damn.

eao1991

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I've been in a battle with Verizon via the BBB over this. They just say it will be fixed during a "mid year" update. My stance is if the iPhone had this issue, it would have been fixed within 1 week and the entire planet knows that's true. Verizon historically is slow with fixes and historically doesn't like Windows OS. They could care less about us until Windows makes a bigger dent in market share. Until then, this is the garbage we're gonna have to put up with. Honestly, any problem you have with Verizon, instantly should file a complaint with the BBB. Bringing down their customer satisfaction ratings or Microsoft finally dumping money into marketing for the OS (since Nokia seems to be the only one doing this) are the only 2 ways Verizon is going to give a damn.

iOS leads the pack but android updates aren't that fast either. Apple has a lot of pull and which is why they can roll out updates almost instantly across all networks. Meanwhile, Verizon is busy adding bloat to android updates while also not giving a damn about windows phone.

Sent from my GS4

CDiS99

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
My God...:shocked:

What exactly is all that stuff??

The only thing that comes to mind is VZW Navigator, NFL Mobile... and that's really it.

WarDamnEagle09

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site
You don't really think that is Verizon bloat, do you? It's probably the offline maps of the USA or something.

Good point. Totally forgot, when I switched from AT&T Lumia 920 to the Vz Lumia 928 I noticed that the 928 had the maps for USA and something weird like the Bahamas already installed, in looking at my 928 I see that the USA map takes up a whopping 2713.4 MB. Dang. Mystery solved.

Aaron Bateman

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
Good point. Totally forgot, when I switched from AT&T Lumia 920 to the Vz Lumia 928 I noticed that the 928 had the maps for USA and something weird like the Bahamas already installed, in looking at my 928 I see that the USA map takes up a whopping 2713.4 MB. Dang. Mystery solved.

That is exactly what it is.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

I completely uninstalled it, I put Garmin back on....better GPS app anway... Nokia drive is good for A to B but, if you want more of an advanced GPS, you need a better app...I came from Garmin on my Trophy so I was expecting more from ND....and was disapointed.

Let's stay on topic....any new fantasy about Verizon GDR2 this week for our 928's ?

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
iOS leads the pack but android updates aren't that fast either. Apple has a lot of pull and which is why they can roll out updates almost instantly across all networks. Meanwhile, Verizon is busy adding bloat to android updates while also not giving a damn about windows phone.

Sent from my GS4

It's not that Apple has pull, they just have very specific hardware they work with so they don't have to deal with hardware certification, and they typically don't announce anything until the updates are well into the carrier testing phase. By the time they acknowledge a release is coming, it's typically already in the carriers' hands, and being tested. This makes it SEEM like things are moving more quickly, but it's not as fast as it seems.

Google used to announce when they released the code to the wild, so it felt like it'd take forever for an update to hit since it still had to go through hardware and carrier testing. They've tweaked their stance lately and have looped in "preferred manufacturers" during their testing so the hardware testing phase goes more quickly, but we haven't really seen the fruits of that yet.

From what I've seen of MS so far, they're more Google than Apple, but there's no telling how far along testing was when they actually announced the changes in the next update. Considering Nokia was well into the development of Amber, I suspect they push code to the OEMs fairly regularly.

The biggest difference between the three is that because Apple doesn't have to deal with hardware certification, mid cycle bug fixes always make it out. Google has pushed countless security patches and bug fixes that end users never saw because of the headache involved when it comes to pushing an update to thousands of different handsets on different carriers. MS hasn't been slow it seems, they pushed the first update out within months, and by the time 8.1 rolls around (let's say 15 months from 8's initial release), they'll have pushed out 3, which isn't bad at all. Trust me, Android users have it WAY worse than we do when it comes to updates.

I will say this, Verizon is notoriously slow with updates, and they have frequently opted to skip updates because the benefit wasn't worth the effort.

pcsavvy

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Waiting for the Amber/GDR2 update. Does anyone have any idea if these updates are coming or not? There is already talk of GDR3 and Windows 8.1 updates coming son to a carrier near you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss