Debating between getting a 720 vs a 8X. Please help!

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I want a thinner and lighter windows phone. And I've basically narrowed it down to the 8X or 720. I know the 8x is obviously a flagship whereas the L720 is mid range. I put quite a bit of music in my device, so the Lumia is attractive to me for the SD card support and I don't think that the 16 gb of the 8x will be enough.

Also I am curious about the RAM, is the 512 MB of the Lumia 720 that big of a deal? Any recommendations from 8x or 720 users?

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey ozahran, the 8X is a great phone for music, with a dedicated chip and Beats sound. I don't think it has any proprietary music apps, though. The screen is at a higher resolution than the 720 and that's something you'd only really notice when watching videos I think.

The 720, as you know, has a unibody design, SD Card support and while it doesn't have a dedicated chip for sound it supports Dolby filters and has the Nokia Music app, which many people prefer over Xbox Music. Generally speaking the HTC phones have 'standard' support - in that you buy the phone and forget about the support and the app updates. The Nokia phones have above average support in that you constantly get app updates for system and proprietary apps as well as specific firmware updates (like the imminently released Amber Update in GDR 2) as well as fantastic hardware support if you drop or damage your phone.

As far as the RAM goes, there was an article written about this earlier in the month saying that 99% of apps and games can be played on a Windows Phone with 512MB RAM, so I really wouldn't worry about that.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
It should be noted that 99% of apps work with 512MB. And if you're not into mobile games then you have even less to worry about. Between the two I would go for the 720. Aside from just the SD card support, Nokia has their own Amber update planned for the fall while HTC doesn't have anything planned. There's also the Nokia exclusive apps as well. And while the 8X is a great looking phone, several posters have stated that it's prone to paint chipping.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I have an 8x and its great!

One other deciding factor for you is that the 720s camera has better low light performance than the 8x. Add that with sd card support, Nokia support and exclusive apps. Don't forget about the Amber update and glance screen. I'd probably choose the 720.

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
If you're planning on playing games, and/or have an interest in future-proofing your smartphone needs, then a device with 1 GB of RAM is going to go farther than one with 512 MB. That said, I switched to a 920 from a Focus and have been consistently impressed with the frequency and quality of Nokia's updates. Given those considerations, and your reasons for changing phones in the first place, I humbly suggest a third option: a Lumia 820 (unlocked, if applicable).

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
You paying full price?

Well I'm looking to buy off of eBay. Right now the 720's are going for roughly 290 and up. Whereas the 8X has been up for as low as 190. So there is quite the price difference. I just wonder if all the Nokia support is worth the added price.

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
Given those considerations, and your reasons for changing phones in the first place, I humbly suggest a third option: a Lumia 820 (unlocked, if applicable).

I have considered the 820, especially with the removable shells. But idk, I just haven't heard too much about it I guess.

allos autos

Oct 16, 2012
Visit site
I have considered the 820, especially with the removable shells. But idk, I just haven't heard too much about it I guess.

The 820 is a solid phone. It's a step down from the 920 but still very much a well-performing device. Had it been available in Canada, I would have been very tempted.

In another post you mentioned price difference. If you're trying to keep costs down, then the 820 might be too much. The 8X is probably the better bang for your buck (or rubble for your ruble, if you prefer), as you're getting a flagship phone for midrange price. Future-proofing is a big thing for me, and the 8X will be better for that than the 720. Yes, 512 MB RAM will run most *current* apps, but RAM consumption trends aren't downwards.

ozahran

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
The 8X is probably the better bang for your buck (or rubble for your ruble, if you prefer), as you're getting a flagship phone for midrange price. Future-proofing is a big thing for me, and the 8X will be better for that than the 720. Yes, 512 MB RAM will run most *current* apps, but RAM consumption trends aren't downwards.

Thats what it seems to be coming down to now, future proofing vs. Nokia support and Sd card space.

ivanflo

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
If you love your music like I do, between those two, I would go for the 8x. Its a bit different and you can get it at a good price. The body feels really thin and slender. I have a Lumia 920, at the time the reason I didn't get the 8x was because it wasn't on my carrier.

If you love your apps, get the Nokia. If you can wait or have a bit more money 1020, or the rumored next HTC with boomsound?

Sent from my windows phone

michaelbsadler

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
I've *just* been through the same thing myself... I'm a Microsoft Partner, so I should've jumped earlier, but JB was/is pretty good (mostly Samsungs) so it was hard to let go :).

I wasn't even looking at the HTC... I *wanted* a 920, could barely justify the 820 $$$ and was deciding whether to make that leap, go with the newer 720 or go right down-market with 520/620 and get a 10xx later at the right price. The dealer showed me the HTC which was a no-brainer for my needs... The absolute cheapest 4G, 1GB RAM, great sound, great screen. I let my head decide, but a few weeks on, the heart has followed, especially WRT battery life and the awesome in-call voice quality which also translates to being able to take audio notes and dump them straight into Dragon with great results. The front facing camera is the best I've ever used (use it a lot to talk to the kids when stuck at work/away on business) and the rear one is great too.

So, whilst I still envy 920 users *a bit* I wouldn't buy one for 2 x $$$ of the HTC (i.e. my wife and I could both go the 8X for the cost of one 920) and for me the 820 seems a little pass? after experiencing the HTC. I would (now) never go down the route of accepting a 512MB/not 4G capable WP8 device over an ICS/JB Android one (esp. when the Android 3/3.5G one is 50% less).

Downsides... that Nokia app eco-system is pretty hard to beat. Whilst I can (and do) use Google maps on WP8, I'd love to have the Nokia mapping; which is probably great and easy to use. I'm sure there'll be other needs I'll have to spend time/effort satisfying (or waiting for), whereas the Nokia(s) will probably always have that stuff straight out of the box. Even more important at present until MSFT gets the WP8 app-store depth and breadth up where it should be.

I really think the 8X is the 'best kept secret" of the WP8 world and certainly the best value. If you were considering it against the 'best there is' then there may be some quite important features missing, or usage scenarios in which it just wouldn't deliver sufficient functionality for your needs, esoteric or not. But in a 'best of the rest' comparison, its a pretty compelling contender and one which, in the eyes of this 20+ year Nokia aficionado and MSFT Partner, showcases the potential of the WP8 platform as a whole to enable a variety of price/performance/value propositions that *should* auger well for consumers, vendors, partners and the industry as a whole and help keep the previously *cosy* duopoly of IOS and Android on their toes :)

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos