I wrote this to Microsoft.

Parteek Agnihotri

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I am a Windows Phone 8 user on my Nokia Lumia 920, great device?.it was. Lately, I?ve been concerned about this ecosystem, all the bad press and customer anger it?s getting and rightfully so. Let me just jump to the point here. I was skeptical when Nokia announced a strategic partnership with Microsoft; however I jumped from a Nokia N8 to Lumia 800. The change was fine, I knew that the Lumia 800 was a first generation product and I was convinced that things would only get better. It did get better with Lumia 920, a lot better. Better hardware, new OS, new apps and all other bells and whistles. Things have stagnated since then. Been almost a year and my Lumia 920 hasn?t added a single consumer usable feature since then, when there?s a lot of improvement that needs to happen. I hope you guys know how annoying it is to use a Windows Phone device laying down on your bed; in doing one task, let?s say installing an app, the phone display orientation switches about 3-4 times. I can?t scrub my song to a definitive location, I can do that with videos though. The capacitive buttons shine in my face while I am watching a video at night. I miss a notification, it?s gone. These are just the ones I can remember from the top of my head right now, believe me, there are more, much more nuances.
I don?t blame Nokia at all; they have done their part by providing superb hardware to accompany this promising OS. Microsoft however, continues to be a drag. Now I know it?s a giant mega corporation and it takes time to get things done but I am tired of ?it?ll be awesome after the next update? jargon while competitor OS?s are improving by the tick of the clock. Microsoft has been late to the party, and now they are being slow; that?s just asking for a death in tech industry. I understand Windows Phone Blue is allegedly being prepared to fix but do customers really deserve to wait for over a year for such mundane functions, no they don?t. Apps, I understand takes time to get developers on board but even there, Nokia, a corporation much smaller and less influential than yours is doing a better job at getting exclusive apps and getting developers on board. To be quite honest, I tried Windows Phone because Nokia went for it and there are many others like me, you guys should thank Nokia, not just by signing cheques every quarter but by helping them with development of the ecosystem. Mobile is the future and if Microsoft needs to be a player, you guys need to get your act together.

kaybee327

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
And I for another have got to agree 100%.

Come on Microsoft PLEASE PLEASE PRETTY PLEASE even if you have to bring out a temporary service pack.

thh25

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I agree too.. Microsoft needs to put more effort in to it.. I'm going to switch back to my Galaxy S II because the lack of features - especially a notification center and rotation lock, and a random battery life on the L920 (A lot of times for no reason the battery just drains - background processes have been checked and there are no apparent running apps). I do prefer the look and ease of using a windows phone but at this point there isn't enough that's being done. Hopefully, in the future microsoft will get their act together and i'll get a nokia with windows phone blue (8.1)

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I bet its something like this

"Thank you for contacting Microsoft.
We value your input and thank you for writing us.
Microsoft is committed to their customers, both current and potential.
I forwarded this to the appropriate people, and know we are working hard to improve your experience.
- Billy from Customer Relations"

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The interesting thing is that we all have the choice of using what we compare WP to. After all, iOS & Android are our benchmark. Pretty much every point listed in the OP is old stuff on iOS & Android. Why do we live with what we have rather than jumping ship?

I've half done that. I use a Nexus 4 as my main device, but I also have a WP. I keep hoping things improve so I can totally switch, but no dice so far.

We are not forced to use WP; we do it by choice. We can either sit here, use it, and complain, or we can leave. While some feedback is necessary, we've been complaining since WP7 was released nearly 3 years ago. Maybe Microsoft doesn't see enough users leaving to make it worth putting more effort into development. Most of us would probably advise people to go somewhere else rather than keep complaining in other areas of life, such as a restaurant, store, or vehicle. Is this any different?

WP8fan

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
We are not forced to use WP; we do it by choice. We can either sit here, use it, and complain, or we can leave. While some feedback is necessary, we've been complaining since WP7 was released nearly 3 years ago. Maybe Microsoft doesn't see enough users leaving to make it worth putting more effort into development. Most of us would probably advise people to go somewhere else rather than keep complaining in other areas of life, such as a restaurant, store, or vehicle. Is this any different?

I have a Nexus 4, an iPhone 5, and a Lumia 521, and I like them all. Is something wrong with me?

Yes, something's wrong with you. Get rid of the Nexus and maybe the iPhone. :wink: Just Kidding! I like your post and agree that we have choice and competition is good for consumers. I'm expecting some exciting things from Microsoft. But if I don't see them then I'll try something else.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Yes, something's wrong with you. Get rid of the Nexus and maybe the iPhone. :wink: Just Kidding! I like your post and agree that we have choice and competition is good for consumers. I'm expecting some exciting things from Microsoft. But if I don't see them then I'll try something else.

Yeah I know I'm crazy! My colleagues tell me the same thing! I actually do like all 3 OS's, but at the moment WP is 3rd on the list. I jumped in last winter, but unfortunately I couldn't totally switch. I had a 920 for awhile, but after I saw WP8 wasn't going to cut it for me I got rid of it. Later I bought a 521 so I at least still had a WP8 device. I'm still hoping... someday...

The Nexus 4 is every bit as fast & smooth & stable as any WP or iPhone. I've had it since December 2012 and it's as good as the day I opened the box. So far the only thing I like better about WP is the UI, but it's not enough of a preference to make me put up with the other shortcomings. I'm afraid if I used a WP as my daily driver I would be constantly irritated at Microsoft. I have a much better attitude this way! :wink:

sonic1519

May 7, 2013
Visit site
i agree with some of your thoughts others i don't. yes microsoft needs to do more. i'm not taking up for them in any fashion. but they have been busy with others things like rolling out a complete new os
in windows 8. office 360 skydrive and etc. that being said i think the 920 has 2 updates coming soon in amber and one other. i'll hold judgement until then. i came over to the 920 from an iphone 5s
and to be honest i don't miss ios one bit. how many apps can you load on a phone anyway. imho wp has come further in 3 years than ios has in 6.

MyThIc3LiTe

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Honestly if companies didn't have to abide by PR rules you'd get a response that amounted to "We ******* know, we are working on getting all the things we need into the OS for your benefit so stop the ******* whining and sit it out or you are free to leave." Windows Phone is a game for MS. Lets be honest. Its just a toy. Just like the Xbox division. Both highly profitable and marketable toys yes, but MS has no genuine obligation to them. They can kill both tomorrow and walk away without a scratch.

What that means is that they probably don't have the same level of human resources dedicated to WP8 like Google does to Android or Apple to iOS. That is just a sad and blunt fact. They do what they can with what they have. Do you think they haven't gone through the other 3 OSs and figured out what features are missing? Do you think they don't know what they need to add to give WP8 that edge? Do you honestly think some of the brightest designers and engineers to work in the industry are that stupid? No, they aren't.

I would like all the features under the sun too but do I want them at a rushed and compromised rate? No. I've seen way too much of that particularly from Android to expect better. Android is nothing but features. Many end up being redundant and useless and hastily added just to bolster a spec sheet.

WP8 as it stands has treated me better than iOS has in 6 years. WP8 out does Apple at their own game of brutal simplicity. I can live with that. I go through more phones in a month than most of you do in a lifetime, such is my job, I've formed a solid baseline for how to treat every OS and my own opinion is that I'd have WP8 over Android with iOS just barely edging out WP8 (I've spent far too much on that ecosystem to just cut and leave) and BlackBerry 10 is just too unknown to put stock into.

No one at MS would ever say this to anyone in the public but they'd appreciate it that you leave them be to do what they need to do. They are not idiots, they are not ignorant to the work that needs to be done; how about we get off their *** and stop treating them like a bunch of babbling baboons who don't know how to code an OS?

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
Sounds pretty close to what I'm in the process of writing. I'm tired of being told to be patient and that the updates are coming. 8 months is enough time for a company that cares to fix these small annoyances that take away from a great os.

ktl88

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, pretty much agree. Have not seen any simple improvements on the OS that we're all craving for.
At this stage I ask myself is WP just a raw OS with a nice looking UI skin?

Wadidiz

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
So much I agree with here. When I tried the Windows 8 preview and had been following Nokia's attempt at resurrection with Microsoft, I thought it great that Nokia & MS looked to integrate PC, smartphones, tablets and clouds. Therefore I bought into WP8 starting with a Lumia 620 as an act of misplaced, na?ve faith. Since I am a musician, the low-light video and full-range, distortion-free audio are MAJOR drawing cards for me. Therefore I bought a 920 and am blown away by the gig recordings I now make. But there is a price...

1) The PC interface isn't even as good as the old Symbian suite I had with the Nokia N97. I load videos only to find they don't work, even though they are in a "compatible" codec. Why doesn't the interface offer to convert it or at least tell me it won't work?

2) I haven't figured out how to edit the titles of music, photos & video tracks in the phone. I can't see how to move files from folder to folder. Since my music & video files sometimes function as portable demos, it's embarrassing when I can't even find or play things I've uploaded.

3) The contact syncing is a catastrophe. Should I sync with Nokia Account, Live or Hotmail? I have some contacts with the same entry like 10 times!

4) The Lord apps those that app themselves! The usual app whine but why exasperate us with apps that aren't available at "my store" (UK, not US)?

ad nausem...

I know I risk displaying ignorance as a user. But I'm generally clothed in my right mind, I've been using Windows since it came out in "run-time" and this should NOT be difficult for a user like me.

Now I have a great piece of audio/video hardware with a partially complete OS. I feel like I'm driving a new, high-quality automobile that has specs that kick all the others' butts. Only problem is, it has one wheel missing for some funky reason. Guess I'll have to go back to my Galaxy S2 and only take out my Nokia Lumia 920 when I really need a quality pocket camera. Sorta defeats the ideas I have about having everything I need in ONE device that I carry in my pocket. And I've been drooling for the Lumia 1020. Sigh....

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I hope you guys know how annoying it is to use a Windows Phone device laying down on your bed; in doing one task, let’s say installing an app, the phone display orientation switches about 3-4 times. SO WHAT, USE PORTRAIT ONLY

I can’t scrub my song to a definitive location, I can do that with videos though. YES YOU ACTUALLY CAN, JUST TAP AND HOLD NEXT

The capacitive buttons shine in my face while I am watching a video at night. TURN ON BATTERY SAVER

I miss a notification, it’s gone. IF IT SO IMPORTANT, PIN A TILE

well not to be hating I understand your frustration but do not understand why bother writing to them to change anything, just go to Android and come back when fed up there or to iOS and come back when bored to death... ;)

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
1) The PC interface isn't even as good as the old Symbian suite I had with the Nokia N97. I load videos only to find they don't work, even though they are in a "compatible" codec. Why doesn't the interface offer to convert it or at least tell me it won't work? MP4, H.264, AAC audio?

2) I haven't figured out how to edit the titles of music, photos & video tracks in the phone. I can't see how to move files from folder to folder. Since my music & video files sometimes function as portable demos, it's embarrassing when I can't even find or play things I've uploaded. huh? music is in music, videos in videos... ?! editing on the phone isn't very convenient for more than one at a time anyway, is it?

3) The contact syncing is a catastrophe. Should I sync with Nokia Account, Live or Hotmail? I have some contacts with the same entry like 10 times! sync all of them and pair in people hub like you would at any other platform

4) The Lord apps those that app themselves! The usual app whine but why exasperate us with apps that aren't available at "my store" (UK, not US)? switch geo...

And I've been drooling for the Lumia 1020. Sigh.... buy it then ;)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I swear we should have a specific thread grouping just for "lets whine about what we don't like about Microsoft and WP8 today" - Keep it as a sticky - that way everyone that wants to whinge can - and those of us that haven't got any issues with their phones or the OS can just ignore you all.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)