I wrote this to Microsoft.

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
well not to be hating I understand your frustration but do not understand why bother writing to them to change anything, just go to Android and come back when fed up there or to iOS and come back when bored to death... ;)

I see posts like this and just scratch my head. A lot of us came from other OS's to give WP8 a try. And we got used to having simple functionality like this. We also got used to separate volume control for pretty much everything, easy to use notification center, not having to go deep into setting to turn off BT and WiFi (and the "pin it" answer is stupid. If I pinned everything to make it do everything my home page would scroll on for ever). Are you guys who respond like that TRYING to get us to leave WP8? Or are you just pissed off that you have never tried another OS and dont know what youre missing? Honestly, repsonses like that are not called for.

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I swear we should have a specific thread grouping just for "lets whine about what we don't like about Microsoft and WP8 today" - Keep it as a sticky - that way everyone that wants to whinge can - and those of us that haven't got any issues with their phones or the OS can just ignore you all.

This as well. Poor response. Wouldnt you guys LIKE to see WP8 succeed and have all the funtionality? Or do you just not give a damn?
I also find it hard to believe that there is NOTHING about WP8 OS that you would change if you could. Not a thing? Sorry I dont buy it.

Last edited:

troldmanden

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
600 & 800 is still in testing and i guess you wont see them till the end of 1st quarter 2014. but 400 could be released this year in a flagship phone for of a major network provider :p

Ohh but I would so much hope Nokia goes with the new Intel chips launching in q1. Only uses half the power. Seems to be the solution to the heavy battery drain...... Me want....

Wadidiz

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
1) The PC interface isn't even as good as the old Symbian suite I had with the Nokia N97. I load videos only to find they don't work, even though they are in a "compatible" codec. Why doesn't the interface offer to convert it or at least tell me it won't work? MP4, H.264, AAC audio?

2) I haven't figured out how to edit the titles of music, photos & video tracks in the phone. I can't see how to move files from folder to folder. Since my music & video files sometimes function as portable demos, it's embarrassing when I can't even find or play things I've uploaded. huh? music is in music, videos in videos... ?! editing on the phone isn't very convenient for more than one at a time anyway, is it?

3) The contact syncing is a catastrophe. Should I sync with Nokia Account, Live or Hotmail? I have some contacts with the same entry like 10 times! sync all of them and pair in people hub like you would at any other platform

4) The Lord apps those that app themselves! The usual app whine but why exasperate us with apps that aren't available at "my store" (UK, not US)? switch geo...

And I've been drooling for the Lumia 1020. Sigh.... buy it then ;)
1) I can load MP4, H.264, etc. but they may or may not work and I can't see why. Like I wrote, the old Nokia Suite offered to convert the files to more phone-friendly formats. This should not be this hard. End of...

2) Music is in music but not under the folders and file names I choose. No file manager. Because I load so many of my own video & audio files, too much gets put under "Unknown". Not copacetic. Many of my videos are my own. Why have one place for downloaded videos and another for ones made with the phone? Not good! Don't understand the editing one at a time comment.

3) I don't have problems with multiple-repetitive-redundant contact entries in Android nor did I in Symbian before. I'm still trying to find a way to sync from one contact list that I can first clean up. The filtration doesn't help much.

4) Change geo? Wish I could. Can't figure out how. The only language settings I can get--which seems to impact this--are Norwegian, Swedish and UK English. That seems to limit me to the UK store, maybe because of EU Windows Store regulations & tariffs.

5) I'll buy a 1020 when a) they add the fourth wheel to the performance car--cause the status quo is un-acceptable and b) it starts selling in Sweden. (Funning we have to wait here, just a ferry-ride to Finland. And for the updates and upgrades released elsewhere first.)

MyThIc3LiTe

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Very true. I some time think Windows Phone is owned by Nokia not MS

Do you think Android is owned by Samsung? SMH.

Nokia, like Samsung, does the best job pushing their respective OSs. That is just a fact. They are the poster children for WP and Android respectively. That does not make it their baby, it just means they have initiative to try new things without waiting for MS to do them. How is that a bad thing?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This as well. Poor response. Wouldnt you guys LIKE to see WP8 succeed and have all the funtionality? Or do you just not give a damn?
I also find it hard to believe that there is NOTHING about WP8 OS that you would change if you could. Not a thing? Sorry I dont buy it.

How is it a poor response I was merely stating that we should have a section of the forum where all these type of threads can be grouped. They appear every day from different people all saying the same thing. If you had bothered to read any further into the thread you would have seen my further arguments and responses.

There isn't a single thing I would change about WP8 OS. The way I have my phone set up it works perfectly for me. If it works why would I want to change it?

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I see posts like this and just scratch my head. A lot of us came from other OS's to give WP8 a try. And we got used to having simple functionality like this. We also got used to separate volume control for pretty much everything, easy to use notification center, not having to go deep into setting to turn off BT and WiFi (and the "pin it" answer is stupid. If I pinned everything to make it do everything my home page would scroll on for ever). Are you guys who respond like that TRYING to get us to leave WP8? Or are you just pissed off that you have never tried another OS and dont know what youre missing? Honestly, repsonses like that are not called for.

Calvin, I have both an iPhone and GS3 mini at work for testing and I would stand my point any day. And yes, we are trying to get you guys leave WP8, better than this living nightmare, right? ;) You gave it a try, didn't like it, no shame in retreating..

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
1) I can load MP4, H.264, etc. but they may or may not work and I can't see why. Like I wrote, the old Nokia Suite offered to convert the files to more phone-friendly formats. This should not be this hard. End of... there's plethora of programs with presets for all devices, pick one, I understand though, loved Zune with my L800

2) Music is in music but not under the folders and file names I choose. No file manager. Because I load so many of my own video & audio files, too much gets put under "Unknown". Not copacetic. Many of my videos are my own. Why have one place for downloaded videos and another for ones made with the phone? Not good! That's actually a good point, however it makes sense to have everything produced by the camera in the "Camera roll", also as with iOS, there's no need for file manager on WP once you have your files properly tagged. You can't even put files on iPhone other way than iTunes and iBelievers will call it an advantage.

Don't understand the editing one at a time comment. I meant it's not very convenient to manage Your whole library on the phone.

3) I don't have problems with multiple-repetitive-redundant contact entries in Android nor did I in Symbian before. I'm still trying to find a way to sync from one contact list that I can first clean up. The filtration doesn't help much.
no shame in checking help section

4) Change geo? Wish I could. Can't figure out how. The only language settings I can get--which seems to impact this--are Norwegian, Swedish and UK English. That seems to limit me to the UK store, maybe because of EU Windows Store regulations & tariffs. online when logged in windowsphone.com, you need to change it for your whole Live account, but it's true it's not easy to do. But honestly don't think it's only WP that limits certain apps for some markets

5) I'll buy a 1020 when a) they add the fourth wheel to the performance car--cause the status quo is un-acceptable and b) it starts selling in Sweden. (Funning we have to wait here, just a ferry-ride to Finland. And for the updates and upgrades released elsewhere first.) I imported my L920 from Germany in November after release, didn't start selling in Czech till March. And for L800 the same, heck I couldn't even go online on 3G because there were no settings for CZ network on DE firmware :)

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Well I just sit here thinking about this and the only thing that comes to mind is what is up with all these placated folks?...That just say it's good enough for me so why don't you go back to android or wherever you came from. My question is how does a platform get better when you make excuses and give a pass to the creator which is MS???? How does a platform grow when you are just satisfied with whatever scraps are thrown your way????? How do you get better hardware to run if the platform is deficient in running on better hardware???? How can you draw OEM's to your platform when you show that you are incompetent creating it and it's hard to make updates to the platform you created?????? I haven't heard too many times that a company has massive problems making updates to a platform they created in the first place. That shows incompetence and lack of foresight. The doesn't give anyone confidence in your platform or makes them want to develop for it.

I brought and still have a L920 and I have written this platform off...because what I've seen will indeed be the death of it. IMO microsoft should have waited and made sure that WP8 was on par with android & IOS by at least minimal 80%. Meaning it came out in 2012 it should have had at least minimal 80% of the features the competition phones had for 2012. MS came to the party late in 2012 still rocking music from the 50's I figured that wasn't going to work. Here we are rocking toward the end of 2013 and MS has yet to adapt to a market that they can't control. They are trying to dictate to the market and failed to just go with the flow. In closing:

IMO if GDR3 and the 8.1 update doesn't produce dividends it is over. If 8.1 is late as in not here by March 2014 it is over. All of us investors and tech market watchers have been saying for a while if MS doesn't take this serious they are going to fail. If WP8 starts to have to many cracks and dents in it's armor it will fail. The biggest predictor in all of this is what happen this month with Nokia calling MS out. That is WP8 biggest OEM and backer, that made a big crack in the platform if you are an investor. If that didn't send chills up MS and put in a renewed and breakneck sense of urgency into place the game is already over. From now till March 2014 what happens will determine the fate of WP8. If MS also pulls the same stunt like with WP7 to WP8 then they will be forever cast out of the smartphone realm and will never recover from that.

gollum18

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
That's because like dish, Microsoft has to many avenues going on to be able to effectively persue them.

What they need to do to succeed, is drop everything but surface, Xbox, and windows phone development (plus windows of course).

They might be a mega company, but even they can't effectively govern over the plethora of projects they have going on right now.

I personally think they should push for the abandonment of the desktop as that's just obsolete tech now. And go straight for laptops/tablets, as that's where the current generation is at. You don't see young adults/teens wanting to sit behind a desk all day. They want freedom to do what they want, where they want.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
That's because like dish, Microsoft has to many avenues going on to be able to effectively persue them.

What they need to do to succeed, is drop everything but surface, Xbox, and windows phone development (plus windows of course).

They might be a mega company, but even they can't effectively govern over the plethora of projects they have going on right now.

I personally think they should push for the abandonment of the desktop as that's just obsolete tech now. And go straight for laptops/tablets, as that's where the current generation is at. You don't see young adults/teens wanting to sit behind a desk all day. They want freedom to do what they want, where they want.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

You have a good point - but hopefully the reorganisation solves a lot of ills otherwise nothing will change with MS.

Getting rid of the desktop is a bad idea at the moment though. Those young adults/teens might not want to sit behind a desk all day now - but they will have to when they get a job. The enterprise user base is massive with many companies and corps still using XP that's years of use from W7 to be had before any shift to W8 or 9 and full metro

Janet010

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
I love the fact that there are people on here defending poor little MS. Yeah poor them. Were asking for features that are basic and from feature phones from 2005 and people are defending Microsoft from our senseless attacks.
Are you saying that there are no improvements at all since 2005?
If you guys are happy with your phones, take your extremely low standards and dance off into the moonlight. Those of us with a little taste and expectation want more, and are paying for more. And we are allowed to ask for it since we are voting with our cash
Speak for yourself. I didn't want to go low-standard, so I have a Lumia 920. For me, it works way better than any Android phone or any iPhone. You are allowed to vote with your cash by purchasing the phone you want. Which doesn't necessarily means a Windows Phone if it doesn't work for you. If you do buy a Windows Phone, than I suppose you look into the features before buying one, instead of buy one first, complain later.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo