I wrote this to Microsoft.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
That's because like dish, Microsoft has to many avenues going on to be able to effectively persue them.

What they need to do to succeed, is drop everything but surface, Xbox, and windows phone development (plus windows of course).

They might be a mega company, but even they can't effectively govern over the plethora of projects they have going on right now.

I personally think they should push for the abandonment of the desktop as that's just obsolete tech now. And go straight for laptops/tablets, as that's where the current generation is at. You don't see young adults/teens wanting to sit behind a desk all day. They want freedom to do what they want, where they want.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

This is another issue that is seen. MS wants to be a Jack of all trades but is a master of few. They got so many other things going on that they drop the ball on other pressing issues. But I say it like this, when you do things right the first time it allows for more time to make additions. IF they got WP8 done right with like I said 80% - 90% of the features of the competition they could string the updates out a bit and give themselves some breathing room to do some other things. But seeing that they rushed it out for no other purpose but to have it out created these problems. Patience is a virtue to have most times in the tech world. They had breathing room from how android was updating with minor updates and IOS taking a while to make IOS 7. So why was it so important to rush it out?

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well I just sit here thinking about this and the only thing that comes to mind is what is up with all these placated folks?....

So were placated because we like the OS and are happy with what we have?

I could, today, go and buy an iphone5 and a gs4 and spend all night writing up issues I have with both platforms, why I hate them and why they don't work the way I want them to - why Apple and Android aren't good enough for me. MS has its faults and WP8 does cause issues for some people. But if my phone serves its purpose and works how I want it to suddenly I'm placated by some megacorp?

In under a year and a halves time when im due for an upgrade on my contract there will be better hardware, there will be better software. As an intelligent consumer that researches purchases I would have 14 days to trial that phone and the OS and if it doesn't work for me I will switch. Its why I switched from both apple and android in previous years.

What a lot of you people that bash the OS cant seem to accept is that everybody is different. Were not all asking for notification centres, 6" displays at 1080p and quad core processors. VPN is no use to me or the majority of other people out there. As much as you cant get your tiny minds around the prospect some of us are happy with the way things are.

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
How is it a poor response I was merely stating that we should have a section of the forum where all these type of threads can be grouped. They appear every day from different people all saying the same thing. If you had bothered to read any further into the thread you would have seen my further arguments and responses.

There isn't a single thing I would change about WP8 OS. The way I have my phone set up it works perfectly for me. If it works why would I want to change it?

Its a poor response because you were talking down to us that arent completely satisfied.

ivanflo

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I agree that there are some OS features to be filled out, but I would never switch to ios or android. WP is still far and away the best platform that meets my needs. Its a very solid foundation to build on. MS just needs to be a bit quicker.

Sent from my windows phone

Calvin Cooper1

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Calvin, I have both an iPhone and GS3 mini at work for testing and I would stand my point any day. And yes, we are trying to get you guys leave WP8, better than this living nightmare, right? ;) You gave it a try, didn't like it, no shame in retreating..

Im giving WP8 a try because I like the look of the OS, and love the hardware. So many of the android phones just feel cheap.
Please, living a nightmare? I dont know what else to say. The OS has fantastic potential, and yet so many of you just want it to stay the way it is. Newsflash, if MS doesnt play catch up quick with certain small functionality issues people arent going to buy the WP8 phones. I recently let a friend play with my 928, told him all about it. He went and got one(even knowing the short falls), but after a week he couldnt deal with it like he thought. He returned it for a S4. You can preach all high and mighty all you want, but at the end of the day, if the average every day people wont buy WP8 phones, it will fail.

Janet010

Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
@Calvin Cooper1
Funny, I had a colleague of mine playing around with my old WP7.8 Phone, and - non-tech as she is - she understood th most important features within 10 minutes, so she bought one. Somebody let her play with an iPhone (I think 4 or 4S), which wasn't a success. She can also deal with Android for that matter. To deal with any OS is also about expectations, I think.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Its a poor response because you were talking down to us that arent completely satisfied.

No it was a frustrated "oh no not another one of these threads" The fact you called anyone that's happy with their phones a liar is probably more detrimental and narrow minded than you thinking I was talking down to you.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
No it was a frustrated "oh no not another one of these threads" The fact you called anyone that's happy with their phones a liar is probably more detrimental and narrow minded than you thinking I was talking down to you.

No your response like a few others was to automatically shot someones opinion done as false. First responses have been the platform is fine.......Go back to android as we don't need you saying all this.....Or I'm happy so it doesn't need what you say. Well guess what that happiness is going to be the death of the platform because you are indeed the minority in the thinking of everything is fine. Thats what that placated feeling is...the death of the platform. Happy joy joy of how it is leads to stagnation and no progress....hell even apple figured that out. How do you expect the OEM's to sell phones with no progress and things just stay the same. This isn't the high and mighty attitude....this is plain old reality.

Just having the diehard customers is not progress for the platform, you have to offer more and cater to a wider selection of people. This is the essence of Nokia's call out of MS.....they can't reach a wider customer base if the platform is so poorly done. The platform is nowhere near what it needs to be right now is all I'm saying. The market share, OEM's, and devices sold tell me they aren't doing a good job at all reaching out beyond the diehards that wait around for the next promised update that will put the platform on the same playing field as the rest. People aren't going to keep sitting around waiting and lurching from one update to this update with the ongoing promise of the features will come one day. Updates that get pushed back over and over. A company that has a tremendously hard time enabling features for a platform they created shows short sightedness.

Honestly, I've never seen MS like this.....it smells and looks like pure management failure. No direction, accountability, and no urgency to succeed. If they continue having update and feature problems that can't be solved without messing up the code in the platform they are in purgatory. The news that this is indeed what is happening trying to enable features is not good at all.

Dk92

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
I totally agree with this post. Small ecosystem and extremely slow minor updates, doesn't mix well at all. I jumped from IOS to Windows Phone earlier this year, mainly because iOS was becoming stale and Windows Phone OS just seemed refreshing and new. But the appeal of this OS wears off pretty fast once you realize how many basic features are missing. Orientation lock, glitchy playback when you put songs on repeat in Xbox music(there's other problems with Xbox music but I'll stick to one specific annoyance for now) and Notification Center are just a couple of examples. And the amount of popular apps is extremely low, but I could easily overlook this if the OS itself wasn't missing so many features. Not to mention the recent release of office for Android while google continues to ignore windows phone customers.
If something significant doesn't happen by fall, im going back to verizon and getting the new iPhone. It seems like apple kind of got a few ios7 design tips from Microsoft's metro design, but if it works can you really complain?

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Well i'm just focusing on MS and the decisions it makes. In my heart.....I don't like to think of it like this so I will just explain it to everyone. In my heart I think this is another beta test because I can't just see them acting the way they do. It's like MS doesn't care about the platform and it's a low priority. My thinking behind that is why make the WP8 kernel core so badly that you can't even hardly make updates for it to add feature. Why do you own apps and I mean MS own apps work better on competitors platforms than their own? Google and apple doesn't even do that with their apps. Why does your app store seem so unintuitive and updates are just a shot in the dark? IMO the app store need to be completely redone and Xbox music completely rebuilt from the ground up.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
No your response like a few others was to automatically shot someones opinion done as false. First responses have been the platform is fine.......Go back to android as we don't need you saying all this.....Or I'm happy so it doesn't need what you say. Well guess what that happiness is going to be the death of the platform because you are indeed the minority in the thinking of everything is fine. Thats what that placated feeling is...the death of the platform. Happy joy joy of how it is leads to stagnation and no progress....hell even apple figured that out. How do you expect the OEM's to sell phones with no progress and things just stay the same. This isn't the high and mighty attitude....this is plain old reality.

Just having the diehard customers is not progress for the platform, you have to offer more and cater to a wider selection of people. This is the essence of Nokia's call out of MS.....they can't reach a wider customer base if the platform is so poorly done. The platform is nowhere near what it needs to be right now is all I'm saying. The market share, OEM's, and devices sold tell me they aren't doing a good job at all reaching out beyond the diehards that wait around for the next promised update that will put the platform on the same playing field as the rest. People aren't going to keep sitting around waiting and lurching from one update to this update with the ongoing promise of the features will come one day. Updates that get pushed back over and over. A company that has a tremendously hard time enabling features for a platform they created shows short sightedness.

Honestly, I've never seen MS like this.....it smells and looks like pure management failure. No direction, accountability, and no urgency to succeed. If they continue having update and feature problems that can't be solved without messing up the code in the platform they are in purgatory. The news that this is indeed what is happening trying to enable features is not good at all.

Yay!! Someone else that doesn't get it. At no point did I say my view was correct or that the OP or anyone else was wrong in their views.

If you read through my other posts you would see that I have pointed out MS problems and shortcomings. I have agreed more than once that some people have problems and I understand their problems. I even gave tips on how to complain properly and give yourself more of a chance to get heard.

And Nokia calling out MS is BS. If you want phones out there you don't lock them to carrier exclusives then provide minimal stock to the retailers, giving pre-orders no benefits over someone standing in line in a shop. Making people wait 2 weeks past the release date when they pre-order is ridiculous and helps neither Nokia or MS.

What I have continually tried to get across is that not everyone is the same.

Quite frankly if MS add a notification centre to WP8.1 with no way of turning it off I will be giving up any and all mobile phones - I cant stand the things constantly vibrating, chirping and flashing.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Yay!! Someone else that doesn't get it. At no point did I say my view was correct or that the OP or anyone else was wrong in their views.

If you read through my other posts you would see that I have pointed out MS problems and shortcomings. I have agreed more than once that some people have problems and I understand their problems. I even gave tips on how to complain properly and give yourself more of a chance to get heard.

And Nokia calling out MS is BS. If you want phones out there you don't lock them to carrier exclusives then provide minimal stock to the retailers, giving pre-orders no benefits over someone standing in line in a shop. Making people wait 2 weeks past the release date when they pre-order is ridiculous and helps neither Nokia or MS.

What I have continually tried to get across is that not everyone is the same.

Quite frankly if MS add a notification centre to WP8.1 with no way of turning it off I will be giving up any and all mobile phones - I can't stand the things constantly vibrating, chirping and flashing.

Just give it a rest. Nokia is selling it's phone on the carriers that gives it the better deal and would push their phones more. See how long it took Sprint to even start selling WP8 handsets so that sinks your argument right there. Verizon no better as it won't be pushed like a Droid will. T-mobile's coverage outside of major cities doesn't help it much. And your gripe about pre orders...what you want a cookie with it, maybe a JBL speaker. You don't get something special just because you pre ordered before the release. If there is still a wait to get the phone after the release that is a nokia problem. Thats something to take up with them.

Nokia indeed called out MS for their complacency and slowness. And indeed everyone is not the same but they aren't like you either. Average consumer right now is indeed chasing specs, features, and apps. You can't deny it because the sales show that is to be the case and until MS has that right mixture it will stay where it's at or die off as a platform. Your Average consumer wants a notification center as they don't want to have to open each individual app to see what is going on. They don't all have to be chirping, vibrating, and flashing...on most platforms that can be all turned off as it is a basic feature.

WinDoze

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I'm not sure what you are complaining about. Those "gripes" are all what I would call minor glitches... and, the whole, rotation when I'm laying in bed... Every phone I've ever used does that when held at that axis.

I came over from an Android HTC, and Windows Phone is phenominal! It's blown away my expectations, and to be quite honest, they were quite high. This phone rocks and I don't think iPhone (and certainly no Android) can hold a candle to it. I'm also blown away by the screen quality, the feel and ease of use of the capacative touch screen and the overall build quality of the Nokia. In fact, the only phone that's ever really impressed the hell out of me even close to this was my old Nokia N71 (back in say 2005-2006). Nokia makes the best mobile devices in the world and I'm so glad to see them selling again, thanks mainly to their partnership with Microsoft and extremely glad to see their stock price recover. Should have bought it when it was at rock bottom. Kicking myself now.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Just give it a rest. Nokia is selling it's phone on the carriers that gives it the better deal and would push their phones more. See how long it took Sprint to even start selling WP8 handsets so that sinks your argument right there. Verizon no better as it won't be pushed like a Droid will. T-mobile's coverage outside of major cities doesn't help it much. And your gripe about pre orders...what you want a cookie with it, maybe a JBL speaker. You don't get something special just because you pre ordered before the release. If there is still a wait to get the phone after the release that is a nokia problem. Thats something to take up with them.

Oh yeah that's right - I forgot the US is the only country in that exists to Americans. If you pre- order a device you would expect to get it at least mailed out release day its not about getting cookies with it (although cookies are always good) You shouldn't at the time of release of 920 and even now with the 1020 have to wait weeks after release for your pre-order to arrive.
Putting three to four phones in stock in a shop isn't great for a new phone on release day either. And you are correct that's not an MS problem - either Nokia cant make phones fast enough or they are hedging their bets. Either way its limiting for a new device on an emerging OS which in my opinion is just as damaging as the carriers who really don't give a sh*t about WP8 - I've seen numerous times people asking for a WP8 device to be told they aren't in stock then get pushed into buying either a Android or iphone device. A fair percentage of would be WP8 sales are denied because of ignorant sales people pushing their own agendas onto a customer. Carrier exclusivity means jack when the phone isn't in stock.

Pretty much sinks your retort.

BenGutt

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Looks like I'm not the only one that doesn't want a notification center. Thank goddness.

I came from android and spent half my day removing the seemingly endless notifications I got each day. Family member don't even bother to remove them now.

I much prefer to have my home screen tell me when an app has something for me via the live tiles. That way I can just unpin the ones I don't really care about.

HaibaneReki

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Let's make bet's on how many pages this thread will have before admins close it :)

Or let the OP create a poll to settle this philosophical dispute ;)

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Let's make bet's on how many pages this thread will have before admins close it :)

Or let the OP create a poll to settle this philosophical dispute ;)

Its not a dispute - its a debate - there are valid arguments on both sides of the fence. As yet this thread hasn't deteriorated. Points are being put across and rebuffed on both sides. Its actually quite interesting.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers