Lumia 920 Factory Defects/Imperfections know-how needed

snarkysnickerdoodle

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
So after some time I finally got around to posting this, even though it's been something that I've been well aware of since buying my 920 several months ago. As many have already experienced, my 920 came out of the box with several of the defects others noticed immediately upon release in regards to build quality.

My FFC has dust in it (not a problem for me personally), and the bezel and screen along the right hand side of the phone aren't evenly aligned as they should be, creating a very SLIGHT light leak along the right hand side of the phone's display. I love the phone regardless, but being someone who enjoys DIY projects, I do plan to attempt a self-fix down the line with some replacement parts, which shouldn't cost too much some months from now.

My question to the community is then: what's causing the light leak, is it a problem with the digitizer? And as for the bezel/screen separation, can I simply use electronic adhesives in order to re-glue the two together?

Better yet, since my phone is under warranty (I haven't taken it apart yet), does anyone have experience with Nokia's repair process, and is it possible to have my phone sent in for repair and still have them return me the same phone I sent them (as opposed to a refurbished phone) so I can retain all my data?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know whenever a phone is sent to Nokia care for repair they usually in most cases perform a factory reset of the software and install the latest updates too. So, the chances are your personal data will be deleted, no matter what the repair is. If you do send it in for repair I'd recommend backing everything up first and wouldn't recommend that you do the repair yourself while you still have a warranty because if anything does go wrong you are basically screwed and will end up with a very expensive paper weight.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I've heard horror stories of people outside the US and long turn around times for repairs.

I live in the states and my Lumia 920 developed a 1 pixel line down the screen. I called Nokia support thinking I would be without my phone for a while. The tech walked through some things which of course didn't fix it so it would need repaired. What they do here is they will send you a refurbished phone along with a return shipping label. When I got the new phone I simply did a backup of my old phone, switched the SIM card to the new one, powered up, restored everything, hard reset my old phone, packed it in the box and shipped it back. No muss, no fuss and only without my phone for a couple hours. The phone they ship you will have the balance of the warranty or 90 days whichever is longest.

The only thing the tech does do is make you check the color of the moisture indicator inside the SIM tray to make sure it is white.

snarkysnickerdoodle

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
When you backup the phone does app data and everything else get saved as well? I've never dabbled with the feature, so I'm ignorant of what get saved and what gets reset when backing up.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
When you backup the phone does app data and everything else get saved as well? I've never dabbled with the feature, so I'm ignorant of what get saved and what gets reset when backing up.

All of your phone settings such as apps installed, accounts, settings, theme. The layout of the start screen doesn't get backed up nor does individual app settings. So, when you do the restore you will have to go through and enter the passwords for any accounts you have set up. This is fairly easy as they are all presented on one screen after the restore. The app list get restored but all the apps will be downloaded again and will then need to be set up again, user names, password, location or whatever the app needs.

The only problem I have seen with the restore is that on my L920 about 10 apps show as unknown and never download. These are apps I have installed through LUMIA Pusher app. I have to cancel the download, go to LUMIA Pusher and reinstall them from there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre