Gorilla glass got scratched.

chucky

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: Gorilla glass my ***.

I have a case on my phone, but I don't have a screen protector, I don't like the feel of the screen with a screen protector.

ivanflo

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site

I had an amazing glossy one on, but ripped it off, that screen is so beautiful its worth the risk. Also had a matte one on before and that felt really good too

Sent from my windows phone

xratola

May 9, 2013
Visit site

Don't misunderstand the gorilla glass capabilites, it only "protects" from slight scratches. However it's a different deal talking about drops. As far as I know gorilla glass isn't more than a super glass and only glass that's because it doesn't give you full scratch protection, because is only glass :)

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Personally I found that gorilla glass is what it is cracked up to be - some phones are nearly unscratchable, whereas some just pick up scratches like mad. I guess the creation process doesn't create equal batches. For example my L920 got scratched a deep one at that by a small paper clip - my heart sank when i saw it, however one of my friends phone didn't even scratch one bit when he bent a paper clip and scratched along his L920... he did it to prove me wrong lol.

Furthermore I was speaking to my brother in law about it and he also noticed the same thing, he said that he noticed several GS3's also so scratched up you'd think they had no gorilla glass at all but his still looked brand new. He wanted to trade it for my L920 so he could use it for a day, unfortunately I couldn't say yes I need my phone for work lol as I managed to convince him to try out WP. Hopefully he has managed to get down carphone warehouse to try them out. But knowing my luck the display units will be either dead or shelved in a corner and the CR will know nothing about WP.

Penny_1

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site

2 years of iPhone 4 no case-no marks. 2 weeks with L925, lots of hairline scratches up left side of screen. Its not great glass.

From what I've read, this likely has more to do with the outer clear black coating that provides better sunlight visibility.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

For the 920 (and others that use GG 2) it is either the oil-phobic coating, sun light readability coating, or GG 2 is more scratch prone than the first generation. iirc the 1020 has GG 3 and that is supposed to be more scratch resistant.

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site

For the 920 (and others that use GG 2) it is either the oil-phobic coating, sun light readability coating, or GG 2 is more scratch prone than the first generation. iirc the 1020 has GG 3 and that is supposed to be more scratch resistant.
and is there an easy way to fix those scratches without buying a new screen?

And how about deep scratches that you can feel with your nails?

Corey

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site

I kind of side with the OP. The gorilla glass on my 920 doesn't seem as durable as the gorilla glass that was on my OG Droid. I beat the living crap out of that phone, and while the frame around the screen was scratched up, the glass always looked pristine. I never had a screen protector on it and only a very light Seidio case. By comparison, the frame of my 920 is gorgeous, but the screen is scratched to hell. I wasn't even sure if gorilla glass was on this phone.

Wazzim

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

GG2 scratches fast indeed but the scratches aren't as apparend when using the phone as with regular glass (anocdotal).

Jonathan Piferrer

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Meanwhile i'm waiting for my L920 screen protector arrives... Screen is beginning to get some small scratches :angry:

Be careful with keys, and that kind of things... And FIRST OF ALL PUT A SCREEN PROTECTOR... Gorilla Glass 2 is not as trustable as it looks....!

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't get why people use screen protectors on their phones...screen protectors are made of plastic, and your screen is made of glass. Even normal non Gorilla glass is much stronger and harder than your plastic and ugly screen protector. Unless you're getting a really clear and almost invisible screen protector and you're going to be changing it everytime you get a scratch, i don't see why you would have a really scratched up plastic over your glass than an exposed glass with a few scratches.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't get why people use screen protectors on their phones...screen protectors are made of plastic, and your screen is made of glass. Even normal non Gorilla glass is much stronger and harder than your plastic and ugly screen protector. Unless you're getting a really clear and almost invisible screen protector and you're going to be changing it everytime you get a scratch, i don't see why you would have a really scratched up plastic over your glass than an exposed glass with a few scratches.

Because even though the plastic protector gets scratched up, it helps prevent the screen from being scratched. Like a coat of wax on a car. Cheaper to replace the wax than repaint the car...cheaper to replace the plastic than the glass screen....I would hope...at least easier anyway.

Storl

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
It's not the glass that scratches, it's the Oleophobic coating that's reducing the visible fingerprints and make it easier to clean.
If you want to protect it a bit, be sure to buy a screen protector that's also oleophopic for best result.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It's not the glass that scratches, it's the Oleophobic coating that's reducing the visible fingerprints and make it easier to clean.
If you want to protect it a bit, be sure to buy a screen protector that's also oleophopic for best result.

yeah...noticed my first scratch today...the first is always the worst to take. Anyway...it's not that bad at all. I ran out to the dollar store and bought a GS3 protector for $1 until the armour guard one I ordered off Amazon comes in next week. Looks hideous right now...but better than scratches

chucky

Feb 16, 2013
Visit site
yeah...noticed my first scratch today...the first is always the worst to take. Anyway...it's not that bad at all. I ran out to the dollar store and bought a GS3 protector for $1 until the armour guard one I ordered off Amazon comes in next week. Looks hideous right now...but better than scratches
I have a few scratches on the screen, at this point, I really don't care about protecting the phone anymore.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

and is there an easy way to fix those scratches without buying a new screen?

And how about deep scratches that you can feel with your nails?

I don't know of any way to fix it. The only ways I would think it's possible is buffing them out (probably a bad idea) or some clear lacquer type liquid that could fill in the scratch.

I have to say my HD2 has GG 1 and it had almost no scratches. I dropped it a few times, kept it in the same pocket as my keys, showed off by dragging a screwdriver across the glass. My HD7 had the same GG but somehow it scratched a little easier but very minor, shallow, short, hard to see scratches. My 920 has got some long deep ones that can be seen fairly easily.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Do you think it's because of the black glass? Either the scratches are easier to see or for some reason the clear back is softer? I'll have to take a peak at my 900 again. I know i did get at least one deep scratch...probably from a piece of sand in my pocket...but I can't remember what the small scratch situation was like.

wheresmybeaver

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Maybe because the screen was recessed but I had zero scratches on my HD7 in 2 years of ownership. I've used a 920 since December and I have 3 or 4 very fine diagonal scratches, probably from the buttons by the pockets of my jeans. They can only be seen in the right light but they're annoying all the same. I refuse to put any kind of cover or protector on my phones since they somewhat ruin the design!

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss