How are these 1020s?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Alright guys, pretty simple question. As I'm sure you're aware I've got a 920 atm, but I've had at least 6 repairs already since end of January...And Phones4U want to exchange it for a different phone (if I have any more issues after this repair. They wanted to replace it after the 3rd repair) as they don't stock the 920 anymore. I'm tempted to try and sweet talk my way to a 1020 (so far I'm at 925 but that 16GB storage concerns me). So my question is, are the 1020's generally OK or are they filled with issues? I would be OK with 32GB storage (I plan to take pictures at 5-8MPixel not 38 so will turn that 38Mpixel feature off), but I don't want to end up with another lemon.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
One thing I can say is. The L1020 just seems like it's better built compared to the L 920. Its like they paid more attention to the build quality this time. I really didn't have any complaints about the L 920 it is a really solid device but I think with the LP 1020 Nokia put more effort into making sure everything was done right.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
The 1020 is like an upgraded 920, even without the camera. Nokia seems to have invested a lot of effort to get this phone just right.

As of now, I think it's amazing, no major concerns for now. Granted, it's impossible right now to give any advice on how it holds up for the long term, but for now it's excellent.

lostaggie

Apr 28, 2013
Visit site
It does seem this phone has things thought through a little better. For instance the USB plug side seems solidly in place vs the two piece design of the 920.

redeyss

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
The screen is tighter to the polycarbonate body and doesn't have the frame or gutter like the 920, I like that!! Also, ear mic hole is shallower and looks easier to clean than the deep mic hole on 920. I agree that the design of the 1020 is more thought out, tho I still love my 920;)

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
I never had a 920 but I would be super pissed if I went through 6 repairs! That is the kind of anecdote I saw on numerous occasions and almost made me not give Nokia a try, even though I had great experiences with their non-smart phones. My Samsung Focus S went almost 2 years with no hardware problems. But I gave the 1020 a try and, after almost a week now, so far I'm glad I did. It seems solidly built to me. As lostaggie mentioned, the USB port is particularly solid. The phone is a bit too big and heavy for my tastes but I'm getting used to it, and if you could stand a 920 I'm sure you'll be fine. I still love the screen a lot. It's fantastic.

I was a bit surprised at the low-light performance of the camera. Not as good as I expected, especially when doing video. I'm not talking outside at night, but indoors with dim lighting. Basically if it's not completely dark (like being outside at night), you will see a LOT of very noticeable noise in dim spaces and there isn't a single adjustment you can make for this when doing video. But hey, it's still pretty good. Just not as good as it was hyped up to be. The audio recording performance on the other hand.... just incredible. If you want to record audio, I can't imagine it gets much better than this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon