Lumia 1020: Camera zoom question

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I've stayed with WP7.8 because I felt WP8 wasn't really an upgrade and I was holding out for a device with keyboard. Then the Lumia 1020 with GDR2 was released. The only thing that could trump my desire for a keyboard would be a great camera with lossless zoom. I was this close to getting one until I tried the video zoom feature. It seemed choppy and I didn't like sliding my finger to operate it. I am used to a camcorder that has a nice rocker mechanism for smooth zooms at a few different speeds. I really want this phone. Does anyone know any tricks to get better performance out of the video zoom?

Last edited by a moderator:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
Re: Lumia 1020: Close, but no cigar

I've stayed with WP7.8 because I felt WP8 wasn't really an upgrade and I was holding out for a device with keyboard. Then the Lumia 1020 with GDR2 was released. The only thing that could trump my desire for a keyboard would be a great camera with lossless zoom. I was this close to getting one until I tried the video zoom feature. It seemed choppy and I didn't like sliding my finger to operate it. I am used to a camcorder that has a nice rocker mechanism for smooth zooms at a few different speeds. I really want this phone. Does anyone know any tricks to get better performance out of the video zoom?
Perhaps you could ask your question here.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Steadier hand would be my guess, about the choppiness. Both your movements and the image stabilization movements are intensified on zoom. Side effect of zooming.

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

I think your expectations are way too high. It's not a camcorder, it's a phone. It also takes amazing pictures and video. You will always be able to find an excuse to not buy something... nothing is or has ever been perfect.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

I would like it if you could use the volume rocker to zoom. Pinching/spreading to zoom is just awful at (most) times.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site

I think your expectations are way too high. It's not a camcorder, it's a phone. It also takes amazing pictures and video. You will always be able to find an excuse to not buy something... nothing is or has ever been perfect.

This right here hits the target perfectly.

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

I would like it if you could use the volume rocker to zoom. Pinching/spreading to zoom is just awful at (most) times.

I know it isn't much consolation, but you don't have to pinch. A single finger slide up to zoom in and down to zoom out works, too.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

On the contrary. I was trying really hard to find a reason to buy this phone! I was already giving in to many things about WP8 that I didn't like. This zoom was terrible, not just imperfect, and was the final deal breaker. For $299 it is not worth it to me unless I (or someone here) can find a way to make it work acceptably well.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

That would be better for sure. I don't have the answer; I'm hoping the brilliant people at Nokia come up with a great solution to this!

si49

Oct 27, 2012
Visit site

Considering the zoom is all software and based off touch input on the touch screen, I'd be very surprised if Nokia didn't fix it in a software update.

Kissanviikset

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

That would be better for sure. I don't have the answer; I'm hoping the brilliant people at Nokia come up with a great solution to this!

Microsoft doesn't allow use of volume buttons in still/video mode. If it would be allowed Nokia will implement it for sure. I remember reading this from some hands on article of 1020.

Seriously, why would you want adjust volume of your phone when taking photos or shooting video? Dunno if it is just some silly limitation of OS or just Microsoft being stupid.

lippidp

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site

Microsoft doesn't allow use of volume buttons in still/video mode. If it would be allowed Nokia will implement it for sure. I remember reading this from some hands on article of 1020.

Seriously, why would you want adjust volume of your phone when taking photos or shooting video? Dunno if it is just some silly limitation of OS or just Microsoft being stupid.
In Windows Mobile you could assign hardware buttons to whatever you wanted. 5+ years ago...

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

Something tells me you haven't tried it.

20130731_072614.jpg

The next time you are out with your camcorder, you should call me from it. We'll do lunch.

...Oh, wait. Comparing a camcorder to a phone is just silly.

Last edited:

ParoleGA

Jul 23, 2013
Visit site

In Windows Mobile you could assign hardware buttons to whatever you wanted. 5+ years ago...

Agreed, Windows Mobile was a much more functional OS (customizable, attachments, etc.) than WP, or IOS/Android. I still miss my HTC Diamond. It was not nearly as smooth or as user friendly, though. I wish they revamped it, instead of abandoning it. It was closer to a pocket PC than what is available today.

WPmunkey

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

^^^^ There are people that listen to audio while using the camera
I'd bet more people would appreciate using the volume buttons for zooming than music in the camera. Back out of camera to change volume or make it an option to enable this zoom. Either way the small pause or skip in the music you get when taking a picture is annoying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss