Did the GDR2 Update Break Your Phone?

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Ah, under Settings. Thanks. People keep talking about backup and I had no idea how to go about it.

Still getting used to this Win8 stuff.

ricocchet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
Virgin Mobile unbranded handset here, was listening to XBox Music, i then go to use my phone 10mins afterwards and nadda, nothing completely bricked..............having to send back to Virgin Mobile NOT A HAPPY BUNNY!!

Does this update break all phones or just rubbish HTC trash...........

I used to be a fan of HTC but what with the lack of support and now this crash, I give up!

Why oh why didnt I buy a Nokia............

ricocchet

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
and my brick has now magically revived itself.......way to go HTC, great feature your phone dies for 24hrs then switches itself back on......

Doohickie

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
I haven't received the update on my AT&T 8X. Or maybe I have and don't know it?

I'm on AT&T and I just got the notification that an update is available. I'm gonna go for it. I've back things up and took screen shots of my tiles in case the worst happens. I got my phone at Best Buy and have a warranty through them (not AT&T) and I bet they'll give me a Nokia or even a Droid phone if I ask. We'll see how this turns out.

Patrick Jason Lim

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Unlocked HTC 8x, developer device (Not for resale), Philippines

Mine broke for the first time almost three weeks ago. Broke twice, and breaking happened when I played music. Phone revives after a day or so.

Aren't there any updates whether HTC already brought an software update fix, or any other official statement from them? It sucks so much that I am using another device (Android phone) just to give me a music fix >< My phone is almost always used for my music..and now it's just a plain telephone and developer test device ><

bobpodesta

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Yes... Battery performance plummeted from 2 days to barely lasting a day. After a thorough analysis it turned out to be standby drain - no apps whatsoever; I even performed a hard reset to be extra sure. On top of that, phone heats up from even the slightest use (e.g. 5 mins of browsing). Worst of all, you can't revert a firmware update unless you want to void your warranty. Definitely disappointed by HTC.

Question: If I send it back at the service, will they be willing to revert the firmware of my device - at least until a fix is released? I mean seriously, it's unbearable for a device with no background tasks to drain 30% battery overnight (with 2G on).

mikey2toes

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you have an issue with the phone as mine is fine only a slight difference in battery drain but nothing to complain about as i can live with it as my phone is much more responsive. Have you tried a hard reset? It sounds like you may have a background task stuck if it drains 30% overnight.

bobpodesta

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Sounds like you have an issue with the phone as mine is fine only a slight difference in battery drain but nothing to complain about as i can live with it as my phone is much more responsive. Have you tried a hard reset? It sounds like you may have a background task stuck if it drains 30% overnight.

I did. So far the battery drain issue seems to be gone, but overall battery performace is still down. Does the battery need re-conditioning after a hard reset?

filskov

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
My phone has just been lagging constantly ever since the update and is no where near being smooth and nice as before. What is worse though is the constant lagging and skipping when I stream music - eg. Spotify. I might be able to live with the un-smoothness, but the music problems are really, really getting to me. Music is supposed to flow, but with 3-6 skips pr song it is almost more annoying listening to it than having to go without. When you then combine it with the ridiculous fade-in they have pushed on me (has it not occured to ANY programmer that silence is used in music to create dynamics!? You almost can't listen to classical music for instance, as the dramatic parts after breaks are completely ruined by the constant fade-ins. I really, really, REALLY can not believe they've done something so stupid :(

I've actually been really happy with my WP phone up until the update, but not I am seriously considering getting a new phone - non WP. What's the point of getting a phone that is great at music, but then screws up - without the company trying to fix it!?

Edit: Oh, non branded phone bought without contract in Denmark. OS: 8.0.10327.77

filskov

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
A soft reset (turning the phone off/on, I presume), yes. A hard reset, no. I had it hard reset just a couple of weeks before getting it updated due to some other errors - but that obviously doesn't do me any good now ;) It's a bit of a pain in the ***, but I guess it's worth a shot. I'll get to it next weekend. Thanks for your advice/suggestion :)

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
A soft reset is holding the volume down and power button down for 10-15 seconds or until you feel a vibration. This is like a software reset but keeping your data. Hard resets will wipe your data and do a factory reset on your phone.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Not death, but the update has caused the following issues:

- battery life has significantly decreased. Used to be on 50% at the end of my work day. Now around 25-30%.
- Audio playback is messed up. It will occasionally (read every 5 minutes or so) introduce a little glitch, followed by a drop in volume and then a gradual increase to the original volume.
- Not sure if it is directly linked to the update or not, but it has suddenly become a lot more sluggish. The previously buttery smooth performance is gone. Lagging on many occasions. Interrupted aninmations, etc ... Not good.

Really not impressed with the state of this. I suspect it's more HTC who is to blame, but it leaves me with a phone that is significantly worse performance than prior to the update.

Willyman

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
My phone has just been lagging constantly ever since the update and is no where near being smooth and nice as before. What is worse though is the constant lagging and skipping when I stream music - eg. Spotify. I might be able to live with the un-smoothness, but the music problems are really, really getting to me. Music is supposed to flow, but with 3-6 skips pr song it is almost more annoying listening to it than having to go without. When you then combine it with the ridiculous fade-in they have pushed on me (has it not occured to ANY programmer that silence is used in music to create dynamics!? You almost can't listen to classical music for instance, as the dramatic parts after breaks are completely ruined by the constant fade-ins. I really, really, REALLY can not believe they've done something so stupid :(

I've actually been really happy with my WP phone up until the update, but not I am seriously considering getting a new phone - non WP. What's the point of getting a phone that is great at music, but then screws up - without the company trying to fix it!?

Edit: Oh, non branded phone bought without contract in Denmark. OS: 8.0.10327.77

Ah, I didn't see your post before posting mine. In a way I'm happy to see someone having exactly the same issues. Mine's also an unbranded one, but bought in HK.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb