heres how to get a Nokia Lumia1020 @ the upgrade price if your contract is not up yet?

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same situation. Once you add the data plan, AT&T is not going to remove it, even if you put the sim card on a dumb phone. You HAVE to return the phone. I have to lines (wife and me) and after my wife passed away, a wanted to give her line to my mom, but take the data plan, since my mom can't handle a smart phone. I've tried several times to remove the data plan without success. I am using a dumb phone on that line, and that doesn't make any change. AT&T wants the phone back to remove the data plan.

Yeah this doesn't make sense. AT&T shouldn't be doing this. If you actually change the phone to a dumbphone (call in and tell them you want to put a new phone on the line, they'll ask for the IMEI and change features appropriately, not just swap SIM cards), then you can drop the data plan. There should be no reason why you can't do it unless you just have a silly rep that isn't be nice or doesn't know the rules. They system should automatically recognize that type of phone on the line and suggest the appropriate features. It shouldn't even offer smartphone data plans for a line that has a dumbphone.

I have 2 extra lines on my account which I use just to upgrade to get new phones, then put the dumb phones back on them and drop any data plans. I do this all the time, for myself, and for my customers. If one rep won't let you do it, talk to another rep.

The contract says nothing about keeping the same features and/or device on the line for two years. As long as you are signing that contract, there is no obligation to keep the same phone and the same data plan on that line (unless you bought the phone through a different service that requires it, such as Amazon.com).

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah this doesn't make sense. AT&T shouldn't be doing this. If you actually change the phone to a dumbphone (call in and tell them you want to put a new phone on the line, they'll ask for the IMEI and change features appropriately, not just swap SIM cards), then you can drop the data plan. There should be no reason why you can't do it unless you just have a silly rep that isn't be nice or doesn't know the rules. They system should automatically recognize that type of phone on the line and suggest the appropriate features. It shouldn't even offer smartphone data plans for a line that has a dumbphone.

I have 2 extra lines on my account which I use just to upgrade to get new phones, then put the dumb phones back on them and drop any data plans. I do this all the time, for myself, and for my customers. If one rep won't let you do it, talk to another rep.

The contract says nothing about keeping the same features and/or device on the line for two years. As long as you are signing that contract, there is no obligation to keep the same phone and the same data plan on that line (unless you bought the phone through a different service that requires it, such as Amazon.com).
As i've said, i've tried several times (calling and chatting). Maybe is different in my case since iPhone 5 was on that line. How long do you wait to drop the data plan, after a month, same month?

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
As i've said, i've tried several times (calling and chatting). Maybe is different in my case since iPhone 5 was on that line. How long do you wait to drop the data plan, after a month, same month?

Same day. Right after buying the phone with the exact same rep (or I do it myself a few hours later since I can). This is a really common thing at any AT&T retail store. If someone on the account wants to steal an upgrade, they do this exact thing, swap devices, and put back the original features on the newly upgraded line (whether it be with or without a data plan), while putting the new phone on another line that wasn't upgraded (or is not even eligible for an upgrade).

I'd take it into a store and just tell them to swap it. Talking to AT&T online or calling their tech support is usually a big waste of time. And most of the time going into the store can be as well, but there is better success in store than over the phone/online.

Heck if you were in my area I'd do it for you.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Same day. Right after buying the phone with the exact same rep (or I do it myself a few hours later since I can). This is a really common thing at any AT&T retail store. If someone on the account wants to steal an upgrade, they do this exact thing, swap devices, and put back the original features on the newly upgraded line (whether it be with or without a data plan), while putting the new phone on another line that wasn't upgraded (or is not even eligible for an upgrade).

I'd take it into a store and just tell them to swap it. Talking to AT&T online or calling their tech support is usually a big waste of time. And most of the time going into the store can be as well, but there is better success in store than over the phone/online.

Heck if you were in my area I'd do it for you.
I'll try at store then ... And see what happens ... Thanks

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
FORMER AT&T REP HERE.

This absolutely works and every AT&T rep knows how to do it. I'm only chiming in here because so many people are calling the OP and store rep dumb, but frankly, most of you are speaking from a position of limited knowledge. I didn't read every post after I saw a few misinformed ones, so I apologize if any of this has been covered before.

A key thing to remember here is that it may not be worth it to you to do this if you only have one line currently. Reason being there's a bigger jump from a single line to 2 or more lines than just $10 add. (If I remember right it's another $30 a month)

However, if already have multiple lines, or if you're really desperate to always have a way to upgrade (like me, so i went with a family plan anyway), then this is a good idea. Here's the thing: This phone is around $650 to buy with no contract. If you add a line (if you already have 2) you're looking at +$10 a month over 2 years = $240 + $300 subsidized cost of the phone plus $40ish(can't remember) for the one time upgrade fee. Over 2 years you will have spent about $580 on a phone that would cost you $650 to buy without a contract. It is literally saving you money vs. the other option. (think of it as creative financing)

Now, some of you have the misconception that you have to add and maintain a data plan on the added line. This is INCORRECT. What the reps do is use the new line to access the subsidized pricing ($299) with the new contract. Now that phone is sold to you. It's yours. The rep will then put that phone's IMEI on the line that you want to use. The new added line will then have the IMEI switched to 11111111111 by the rep, which takes off the data plan of the new line. The computer recognizes this as a basic phone, so it doesn't require a data plan. All reps are more than willing to do this for you, because it counts as an add a line for them, which pays more than an upgrade to them.

It's not a scam, it's not a trick. It's a creative way to take advantage of the contract pricing model that benefits both consumer and AT&T. I do this exact thing on my line. I've upgraded for the Samsung Infuse, Samsung Galaxy SII, Samsung Galaxy Note, Nokia Lumia 920, and now the Nokia Lumia 1020. Am I paying more monthly? Yes. But I prefer to spread the cost of all those phones over a few years rather than pay for each one up front.

I hope that makes sense to all of you.

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
1. There is no way how you can buy a smartphone without adding data plan
2. Once you commit to a data plan (sign a contract for adding a line), you can increase the data limit, i.e. go to 3GB/month from 300MB/month, or decrease (3GB /month to 300MB/month), but definitely you can't remove the data plan once you jump into contract. To have AT&T remove your data plan, you HAVE to return the phone, or AT&T will charge you the retail price of the phone the day you've signed the contract.

Those are the rules, and you certainly could get lucky with some dumb representative, who may not keep his/hers job after such a thing

This is just flat out wrong. The two year contract is for the voice plan. You ARE required to keep a data plan on any line with a smart phone, but in the process mentioned in the original post, the line used to upgrade is switched to being a basic phone in the computer (which removes the data plan on the new line immediately), while the smart phone is put on the original line you were already paying for a data plan on.

Nobody will lose their job for this. They are encouraged to do this by their managers.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
This is just flat out wrong. The two year contract is for the voice plan. You ARE required to keep a data plan on any line with a smart phone, but in the process mentioned in the original post, the line used to upgrade is switched to being a basic phone in the computer (which removes the data plan on the new line immediately), while the smart phone is put on the original line you were already paying for a data plan on.

Nobody will lose their job for this. They are encouraged to do this by their managers.

Maybe a stupid question, but why are you REQUIRED to have a data plan when you have a smartphone? What if, you want a smartphone but you only want ATT to supply voice and SMS, in other words you want only basic phone support from the carrier, and for data you have a home or work or public Wifi connection, so you don't need data from the carrier.

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Maybe a stupid question, but why are you REQUIRED to have a data plan when you have a smartphone? What if, you want a smartphone but you only want ATT to supply voice and SMS, in other words you want only basic phone support from the carrier, and for data you have a home or work or public Wifi connection, so you don't need data from the carrier.

Bottom line, they want you to spend more money (which is obvious) but since everyone HAS TO HAVE a smart phone these days, the carriers have the leverage. They make you have a data plan because they can, basically. I wouldn't be surprised if the phone manufacturers have agreements with the carriers to require the data plans as well. It would be long winded to explain, but the more people that have data plans, the more other people are going to say "OH WOW YOUR PHONE CAN DO THAT???" and then that creates more sales for manufacturers. Everyone makes more this way.

I couldn't really think of a better way to describe it.

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
It was at a local small AT&T store in a shopping mall. You deal with manager directly and it is easier to make a flexible deal.

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Bottom line, they want you to spend more money (which is obvious) but since everyone HAS TO HAVE a smart phone these days, the carriers have the leverage. They make you have a data plan because they can, basically. I wouldn't be surprised if the phone manufacturers have agreements with the carriers to require the data plans as well. It would be long winded to explain, but the more people that have data plans, the more other people are going to say "OH WOW YOUR PHONE CAN DO THAT???" and then that creates more sales for manufacturers. Everyone makes more this way.

I couldn't really think of a better way to describe it.

Thanks for the insight. I am glad I managed to get my hands on an ATT GoPhone sim on the 10? /minute pay per use plan without having to show the Rep the phone I use it in. Have it in my non-work smartphone and it has been working for weeks. For data I just use wifi.

kabel_mk

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Thank you for clarifying and basically proving me wrong. I thought I could try to remove the data plan over the chat (after 3-4 unsuccessful attempts), and the CSR said the same as you. Also confirmed that a lot of times the CSR is not knowledgeable enough and is afraid to do something. In the end the agent credited the data plan for five months. Can't complain now :)

Last edited:

cowboy6201

Apr 26, 2012
Visit site
I'll try at store then ... And see what happens ... Thanks

I did this very thing about 2 months ago I added a line and got the 1020 then the store rep put my number on my 920 over to my new 1020 then the new number went on my 920, then last month I shut off the new line and paid the early term fee which was $325. And only paid $199.00 for the phone plus $35.00 tax so I still made out. I saved over $100.0 not bad. And I gave my old 920 away on my business page. I love my 1020 it was worth it and my phone was really free including shutting off the line I used grant money to pay for it so it really was free ya for me.

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Alternatively, you could just buy a damaged iPhone or S4 on eBay. Then, when you receive your broken device, post a few pictures on Twitter with a little story about Apple or Samsung refusing to help you with repairing your phone. It may help to come up with a little story to explain how the phone got damaged.....perhaps you dropped it when diving to save a baby whose buggy had rolled into the road or perhaps it got wet when you saved a dog from a frozen lake.

Get a mate to tweet Nokia about the story, then give it 5 mins and there will be a knock at the door and a brand new 1020 will be in your hands in no time. The PR almost writes itself.

It's a win, win.

giantenemybird

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
It works. I used to work at AT&T and we did this several times. Those of you insulting him need to chill out. I'm too lazy to post the math, but provided you have a family plan, it is CHEAPER to do the add a line option and pay the subsidized price rather than buy the phone outright. You don't need to keep a data plan on the added line after you switch the phone to the line you want to use it on. I did this for customers as an employee, and I've had it done for myself after working there. It's just creative financing. It benefits all parties involved.

EDIT: Didn't realize this was the same thread I had already replied to a while back, Oh well. Take my tongue lashing TWICE!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven