Are you happy with your 1020?

anon(27512)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Seems like there is a lot of negativity towards the lumia 1020 and Windows Phone. My primary device currently is a iPhone 5. I was thinking about picking up a 1020 because I have always been curious about Windows Phone. I didn't buy the first round of Windows Phone devices because of the lack of multitasking, copy and paste, apps, etc.

Now that the hardware finally matches the software in terms of quality (Windows Phones have always been kind of ugly to me. Especially the first round of devices-yuck). I wanted a Lumia 900 originally, but it never happened for whatever reason. With the 1020 I feel like I'm finally ready to give it a shot. I've been lurking here since the 1020 event and have seen mixed opinions regarding the 1020. Some people love it and others just seem to complain. I was wondering if you guys (with devices) could provide me some honest feedback, both good and bad. However I ask that if you're going to leave bad feedback, please say why you don't like it specifically. Just saying "it sucks" doesn't really help me any. Thank you all.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Have had mine since launch, I have used all OS's and prefer the WP over everything else, whether YOU will like is up to you, everyone is different with different needs and likes, coming from the iPhone I would advise that you think about which "apps" are a must have for you, once you get beyond the "app" issue I think you will love any WP and the 1020 is a great phone, with a camera that can't be matched on any other phone, not fan boy talk, just plain fact, keep in mind, some people just like to *****, it makes them feel important. The only thing that is important is you, and how YOU use your phone, personally I believe that if you can find the apps you use than you will love windows phones, and we have great apps, don't let the self important folks scare you off, look at yourself, your needs than make a choice that best suits your needs, hope you join our "club" lol and if you do welcome and if not at least I hope you enjoy your stay lol

anon(27512)

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the insight. The apps I use most are Path and Flipboard, both of which are coming. The only app that windows phone doesn't have that I care about is Uber. I've already found a good App.Net client and I don't care for Instagram so I'm all good there as well. I really hope the path app launches soon.

GloriousGlory

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
My biggest priority on a phone is the camera, so it's a no brainer for me to get the 1020. Mine comes in on Friday, I'll let you know how I feel then.

The biggest issues with WP is the lack of apps as far as I've read. I don't even really care for apps on my iPhone. I'm already past that stage of downloading random entertainment/games/social apps. The only apps I use are usually important multi-platform tools (Pandora, Skype, Facebook, Waze etc.).

If you're interested in the Lumia 1020, your biggest reason for wanting it should be the camera. That's the most important selling point... If that isn't your primary reason for wanting it, you may want to reconsider. If that is your reason, then look no further because it's unmatched. The Galaxy S4 Zoom came out recently too and it's completely irrelevant and over shadowed by the 1020. Some called it dead on arrival.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
In a word... Yes.

If I expand on that... Best smartphone I've had to date. Not a big app user, but the situation is improving rapidly this year.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
I voted mixed. I really only have one complaint, and it's not really Nokia's fault. That complaint is notifications...my god it's terrible. Live tiles I thought would be a nice workaround....but they take forever to update! I'm sure this will be fixed in due time though..

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I am happy. But my only issue is, I haven't got a chance to really check out the camera and it's features and experiment with it. I've just been too busy with work and kids. I need to get away for a day to do this.

B1zzle

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
YES

I broke up with samsung after 3 or 4 years for the 1020 and overall I really enjoy Windows Phone; the layout is very unique and completely new, not just a rehash of the desktop computing model of folders and files and apps.
Windows has truly made a GUI that is different; pair this with the insane camera and one has quite a gadget that pushes boundaries in regards to phone tech. Whilst more processors and cores are added to sammy and friends and pixels to fruitPhone, these additions don't do too much to increase the experience we have with our devices. Pretty much any phone today can handle our present tech needs.

Sarah Burgess

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I have had my 1020 for a little over 24 hours. Made the switch from iphone 4s.
I am very happy. There were some call quality issues but att discovered it was the SIM card and they replaced it so all good now.
Camera: functions well, I am not a great photographer and know nothing but these photos are 1000x better than what I've seen on any other phone.

Only complaint: please move the ',' or comma away from the space bar...takes getting used to and some of my texts show up with so many commas. Also, get a better facebook app. :)

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Only had it for several hours now coming from the 920 which I got on launch day. Excited to use the camera. The screen is more vibrant. The 920 screen looks dull in comparison. So far I'm happy I upgraded. Camera bump takes some getting used to. I'm liking the lighter weight , even though I liked the feel of the 920.

Tim Dearden

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Yes. I have had mine since July 25th. The camera is amazing obviously especially with close up shots. I came from an iPhone 4 and windows 8 seems much more fluid and personalized to me. I am not a huge app person so I am happy with what there is. I love the other camera apps along with the Nokia pro cam. The map apps are great and they all work very well together. The whole experience seems much more integrated together than I am used to. The only negative is the inability to get at the full size image on the phone itself. When sharing pics you are unable to choose if you want to use the full size or the over sampled 5mp image. It uses the 5mp image only. This is fine and good for things like texting or uploading to Facebook but I would like the ability to email the full size image if I wanted. The only way to do this is to hook up to the computer, get the full resolution image off the phone and then email it from the computer. Seems a little silly to me. There should be an option to do this on the phone email itself. It would be much easier. I love the phone though.

Last edited:

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Welcome deadp1xel, glad to see you posting and lurking ;) I've had my 1020 for almost a week now and am still getting used to it. It's certainly an improvement over my previous phone in every regard (except for screen size which I've gladly sacrificed). Nokia has really put together a first class experience with this phone: my call quality is *significantly* improved, their attention to customized apps for their phone and WP8 platform, and of course, the camera (I'm still getting used to it). The ability to have a "live" screen vs static icons is a huge plus from other platforms I've seen although if there is one downside I'm going to have to say that it's the way apps have to be closed: press the back key until the app either closes or you're prompted with a quit/exit option from the app. That's neither intuitive nor useful: ever logged into a website and wanted to close it after you were done? MS has made it a huge PITA to do that. It should either be a requirement to make it an option on the "ellipsis" window or they should treat them like "cards" in Palm's webOS, and just "flick-up" to close... <sorry, /rant>. Other than MS's lil shortcomings, this phone has been a great experience so far and the community here has been a lot of fun and very helpful! Welcome!

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Regarding closing a web site or browser session: bring up the tabs and 'X' out every tab. Then you can hit back once to close the browser. Yeah, it sucks, but it's better than trying to hit back a hundred times with it trying to load previous web pages at every turn.

jeffaz76

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Regarding the ability not to be able to email the full size image on the phone: I haven't looked to see the actual file sizes of the full size images, but it sounds like they would be too large to email, as in they would be rejected by most email servers. My feeling is that most people would not be too excited to get a 25MB or larger email attachment of one picture anyway. Apparently there is no option to upload the full size images to skydrive from the phone, but I have read that it can be uploaded to the AT&T locker and possibly shared from there.

Regarding the closing website tabs, my preference is to set the address bar button to tabs. In IE go to Settings, and change "Use the address bar button for" to tabs. Makes managing sites easier.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Actually you can't even email the 5MP image. For me anyway it shrinks it down to 2MP, which ends up being around 650KB. In general this is a good thing, but it would be nice to have an option to send the original 5MP image (typically around 2.5MB) when the extra detail is desirable. If there is any such option, I can't find it...

aggie

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I honestly can't say I've been happier with a phone, even with the 920.

I'm almost right there with ya and it takes a lot for me to say that being an Android guy. There's quite a few apps I still miss and just like on my 920 I still miss a true notification center but the device and OS are a joy to use. Not a fan of IE, really wish we could get chrome or firefox browser but that's just a minor complaint. My biggest issue is my fear of scratching up the camera bumpout as it absorbs the most contact every time you set it down. Going to have to find some kind of skin to cover it up with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12