Nokia Lumia 1020 from MSFT store & ATT unlocking [My Experience]

tarpido

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Guys,

I had a GREAT experience today buying a phone at MSFT store. The rep was very nice and matched the ATT price when I mentioned that ATT is selling it for 660. I got the white camera cover free. I also get the $10 app store credit.

After I got home with phone then I started the conversation with ATT. It was long conversation and I end up getting the unlock code from it. The ATT rep was very nice as well and helped me in every way.

FYI, I do not have ATT account but I'm considering ATT Go phone month to month plan as it's very similar to T-Mobile. It's in the same price range too.

So overall My day went awesome, very lucky and now I'm having fun with my new toy.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
tarpido,

I'm glad to hear you had a good experience with the Microsoft Store (price match, camera cover plus store credit) and with AT&T (unlocking your new 1020).

Have fun with your new 1020. :smile:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't stand the use of the word Bro! lol I hate being called that myself. I can only imagine being a female and being called that...How do you feel about that Laura? :)

tarpido

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
See out of excitement I've not paid attention to Name. I'll stay calm and say "Thanks Folks!!" which is more generic and sounds poetic as both words end with 's'. I hope that's better :)))

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Have you actually tried using the unlock code yet? I remember my experience when I had the L900 and asked for the unlock code to use outside the country. At the time I didn't know about the 6 months exclusivity deal Nokia had with ATT: cant unlock phone for 6 months. Anyway, the rep did give me a code and when it was time to use the phone while abroad, it did not work. After a long conversation with them, they determined the code was not available because of the exclusivity. They don't know where the previous rep got the code from.

tarpido

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Laura:

I hope you not have grudges against all those callers....like a Buddhist saying "Holding a grudge is like drinking poison and waiting for the other person to die" :)

Ninjaap:
Yes slide in my Tmobile sim card and entered the 20 digit unlock code. It worked in first try. Then just in 5 seconds I see the Tmobile sign and signal on the home screen.
I remember for Lumia 920, there was 6 months exclusivity period and from what I heard/read at that time no unlock website was able to unlock it in that 6 month period. But sounds like that is not the case for lumia 1020 as we have not heard any news of exclusivity period for it.

Nik:
Yes I’m using it with Tmobile sim after unlocking.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Two Important questions.

1. Does it work with T-Mobile LTE? Do you see LTE sign? Or is it 3g?

2. Did you talk to AT@T in advance? Or did you take your chances? I really want to buy this phone, but don't have any intentions to join ATT. What number did you call, btw? I tried to find the contact number through their website, but it was only for members.

This is a great news! Thank you so much for sharing!

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Thank you! This is a great news! 3 questions

1. Does it show LTE with T-Mobile? Or just 3g? (3.5)
2. Did you talk to AT&T folks in advance? Or did you take your chances? I was getting conflicting info in regards of them unlocking 1020.
3. Why didn't you buy the phone from AT&T? Was it a possibility?

brandoshido

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site

2. Did you talk to AT&T folks in advance? Or did you take your chances? I was getting conflicting info in regards of them unlocking 1020.

I've called several stores in my area, and they said I can't buy from them unless i'm a subscriber. Not a big deal, i'm just gonna get my buddy to buy it for me. But still, ATT is gonna say no to my 600+ dollars I wanna give them? Foolish.

gvp 1995

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
See, the problematic part is the "long conversation with ATT". I just spoke with their rep. She checked with the technical department, and they said: NO. The phone must be registered with ATT, and used with them for 90 days before it can be unlocked. Which, of course, does not make any sense - by that time there will be an international version from Nokia somewhere...

So, it looks you just got lucky...

jaytee0401

Aug 10, 2007
Visit site

1. It shows LTE
2. No I did not talk to ATT folks in advance. I received the unlock code from ATT rep within 5 minutes which include hold time.
3. I didn't get my Lumia 1020 from ATT because they didn't have a white one in stock. MS store did. They pricematched ATT and gave the camera grip for free. I'm also considering purchasing the device insurance through MS versus ATT.

Others can chime in too. I had a lot of internal conflicts regarding this purchse...925 or 1020...but I finally just pulled the trigger and got the 1020 instead. Hopefully there will be updates to add in the wifi calling and data sense.

J

Nik Kunkel

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
So I just picked up my 1020 at the Microsoft store today. Got a free grip along with it, and they price matched AT&T's price when I asked (thanks to the poster here that mentioned that!). I got on the phone with AT&T and had it unlocked half an hour later. Love it to death, practically slacked off at work all day playing with it.

tarpido

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Ok I'll try to fill in gaps left by any answers.

It's better to buy it from MSFT store, and the reason as you mentioned that ATT will "require" you have to have/create an ATT account even if you will buy this phone at off contract full price. ATT rep at store wont be able to just give you phone without entering you in the system and hence has to create a 2 yr or any normal month to month account. So MSFT store is a better option as you will pay full price and you not registering any account with ATT.

Now for unlocking, You just go on ATT "contact us" page and call the 800 number and start your unlocking request with the rep.

Also I want to mention, I looked at ATT go plans and they are not bad compare to T-mobile plans. They are about same in price. So lets say if you not able to get it unlocked you still got two options:

- get it unlocked for $20 or $25 at Unlockitnow.com
- Use ATT Go plans (range from $25 to $60 per month) for 90 days.

T-mobile network:
Yes In my area I can see LTE and get the download speed of about 19Mbps and upload speed of 5 Mbps.

Nik Kunkel

Aug 2, 2013
Visit site
Yes just call the rep and they'll be happy to unlock it for you (as long as you've payed off the phone in full).
I'm in the Bay Area and I'm seeing 36 down and 8 up on LTE for Tmobile.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss