Lumia 920 Developer Edition: what is the correct Navifirm firmware?

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I did a "phone reset' on my Lumia 920. Unfortunately, the 920 is now stuck on the "gears spinning" for hours. I did a search and found a bunch of threads like these:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/232106-lumia-920-stuck-gears-after-reset.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-928/231222-hard-reset-nokia-lumia-928-appears-stuck.html
http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/226324-920-stuck-cog-wheels-bricked.html

I've tried everything to get the phone to get past the spinning gears and boot, including -

- Held down power and volume down then tried power and both volume buttons multiple times, but it never goes past the spinning gears.
- Volume down + power, hold for 10-15 seconds. It boots up and gears show again. it does not move on to boot up, so I repeat. I plugged it in to make sure when it starts to boot, the battery doesn't die.
- I input these keys on the following sequence, pressing them one key at a time: Volume up, Volume down, Power key, Volume down. I made sure that I tried this while the phone was charged. The gears continued to spin and never makes back to the "Welcome to your phone" screen.
- I waited for the battery to die, I plugged in the wall charger, I let the phone charge and power on (I did not turn it on manually); no luck stll the "spinning gears of hell".
- I tried all of the above removing the sim and leaving it in.

Does anyone know of anything else I could try?

I would prefer to keep the original firmware, but I'm close to the point where I am going to try to restore the firmware myself using Navifirm and Nokia Care Suite following the instructions in this thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/203979-fix-bricked-920s-after-reset-flash-process-defined-inside.html

This is an unlocked Lumia 920 "Developer Edition" from the Microsoft //build/ conference from October 2012. The only question I have is which firmware I should use, I think it should be this one:

059R4H6: RM-821_ROW_DeveloperDevice_VAR251040_Black_v2_Black

Does anyone know if this is the correct firmware?

If anyone from Nokia and Microsoft is reading this: a 'phone reset' should just work, there's absolutely no excuse for so many people to have these problems and have to spend so much time just to reset their phone! :(

Last edited:

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Completely agree with you, we shouldn't have to combat these issues. Resets should reset. You seem to have tried every trick in the book. When I had the same problem as you I had to send my phone off to Nokia and they reflashed it. (I had to send it in anyway). Your only other option I'm aware of is flashing your device yourself. Given the two options I would try Nokia first if that's an option for you.

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I need this phone for my job, so I'll try to un-brick it myself using Navifirm and Nokia Care Suite - if it doesn't work I'll contact Nokia.

I would feel better if anyone could confirm that RM-821_ROW_DeveloperDevice_VAR251040_Black_v2_Black is the correct firmware - or alternatively, does anyone know what would happen if it is not the matching firmware for this //build/ developer edition phone? Would I completely brick it, or would it still work?

Darren Walsh

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Just checked Nokia care suite with your product code, it is the developer ROM! you will be on FW 1308. so go for it If you feel confident!!

kivancio

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
Soft reset by, volume down and power button. AS SOON AS, you see Nokia logo, Press these keys in order, just one time, vol. Up, vol down, power and vol. Down, you can now see your welcome screen as expected. You can thank later.

(btw im talking about stuck gears)

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
kivancio: yes I tried that, I pressed these keys in order, just one time, vol. Up, vol down, power and vol. Down as soon as I saw the Nokia logo - it did not work, still stuck in the spinning gears.

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site

yukit

Dec 9, 2012
Visit site
I have the Build phone as well.
When the phone got bricked (through the soft reset) I was using ATT & Rogers version of firmware, but eventually settled on RM-821 var euro1 developer firmware. The version is 1232.5957.1308.0002.

Maybe I will try the version you mentioned next time I need to reset my phone. Let us know how that goes.

Darren Walsh

May 9, 2013
Visit site
Right I helped a bit. Can ya,s help me and tell me the difference between a dev rom and an unbranded one, is it less stable? Quicker updates etc.. Please tell all !!!!

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Right I helped a bit. Can ya,s help me and tell me the difference between a dev rom and an unbranded one, is it less stable? Quicker updates etc.. Please tell all !!!!
dev is for developers so it has extra features unlocked for testing apps/games without uploading to marketplace

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Ah cool thanks, but just want to know if its stable as I can flash it right now, will I receive updates faster??

Yeah, in fact in this case (Lumia 920 from the //build/ conference) I actually got updates after everybody else. It looks like Nokia forgot the developers and even though I am an AT&T customer, AT&T branded 920s were getting updates literally months before I got mine! :(

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I found this post on how to download the firmware without using Navifrim: http://forum.gsmhosting.com/vbb/f609/download-official-nokia-firmware-without-navifirm-1656869/ (hope it's ok to post links to other sites, since the sticky thread on the wpcentral forums is out of date).

Using 'Nokia Care Suite' and 'Product Support Tool for Store' when I enter code 059R4H6, I get the 'RM-821 VAR EURO1 DEVELOPER DEVICE BLACK', version 1232.5957.1308.0002 like yukit says.

I'm supposing that if I use this firmware the phone will continue to be unlocked and should work on any carrier, for example AT&T, Rogers, and NET10?

ehuna

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Sweet. it worked - I can now see the "Welcome to Windows Phone" screen!

Nokia and Microsoft: we are developers and pretty advanced users - but I'm still not very happy about the time you made me spend on this. You could probably save a ton of money in support costs if you just made "reset phone" work like it should: tap "reset phone" and after a reboot it should just work.

If will take longer to reset due to larger amounts of apps or data, add a counter to the "gears of hell" informing the user how long until the reset will finish.

Thank you Darren and everyone!

Fade_z

Jun 15, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, in fact in this case (Lumia 920 from the //build/ conference) I actually got updates after everybody else. It looks like Nokia forgot the developers and even though I am an AT&T customer, AT&T branded 920s were getting updates literally months before I got mine! :(
that's an imei-number issue to prevent server overload

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb