Tmobile says 8x is NOT LTE capable

knowname

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Now that T-Mobile has rolled out LTE in my area, I am wondering why I wasn't getting LTE speeds on my 8x. I contacted T-Mobile and they said that this phone is not lte compaitable. Doesn't make sense to me because the 8x IS LTE compatiable with other carriers. Any one getting LTE on their 8x?

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Tmobile is correct, the mobile version 8x does not support lte. Its soc is a Snapdragon 8260A.

Go to Qualcomms website. It shows the 8260A does not support lte.

anon(5928073)

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Ok here is the issue. The Tmobile 8x has the bands to connect to tmobiles lte network. They chose not to give it an update along with the note 2 to unlock those bands.

Their 4g is really fast. You should not have any problems.

So, Technically the 8x on mobile is not lte capable. That is their own fault though. The 8x's on the other carriers are lte capable and I don't see why an unlocked one cannot be used on tmobiles lte. Sorry for the bad news!

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Hello,

I spoke to my carrier over here in the uk (3 uk) before I bought the 8x and they confirmed the handset was LTE compatible, I have to wait until October before I can test LTE as this is when the LTE/4G roll out is happening

Cheers

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I don't get it... Neither of my country networks say 8X is 4G... Maybe my country networks don't work with the suposed 4G frequency 8x? Doenst make any sense... I have an L820 and it works 4G

migueli2

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Maybe because this:

Lumia 820: 4G Network LTE 800 / 900 / 1800 / 2100 / 2600
HTC 8X: 4G Network LTE 700 MHz Class 17 / 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100

Bah... I just bought an 8X from expansys...

MangoGuy

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Think this might be down to carrier dependant, i have seen the unlocked ones which don't mention 4g however i have seen unlocked ones on ebay that say they have 4g so it is very confusing

anon(5928073)

Apr 25, 2013
Visit site
Mango and Migueli,

As I have already stated. Each 8x is branded with certain bands to connect to your carriers network. All 8x's CAN be lte compatible. Most are. T-Mobile's, however, is not. It has the bands to connect to them, but T-Mobile chose not to unlock those bands for 8x users.

Hope this helps.

knowname

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
So I am wondering. If I were to buy an unlocked Verizon or ATT 8x and poped in a Tmobile sim card, would I get LTE access with tmo since the verizon and att version of the 8x is lte. any one give it a try?

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So I am wondering. If I were to buy an unlocked Verizon or ATT 8x and poped in a Tmobile sim card, would I get LTE access with tmo since the verizon and att version of the 8x is lte. any one give it a try?

No. You get H+ but not LTE because uses their CDMA radio to run the LTE on their phones. I own a 8X and get H+ as my max in NYC. You would get wireless charging but lose full group and mms it. It depends whether or not that's a worthy tradeoff for you...

You'd have better luck with the AT&T version for LTE.

Last edited:

knowname

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
Little confusing so let me make sure i have it right. If I got an unlocked att 8x, it will be compatiable with tmo's lte?

No. You get H+ but not LTE because uses their CDMA radio to run the LTE on their phones. I own a 8X and get H+ as my max in NYC. You would get witless charging but lose full group and mms it. It depends whether or not that's a worthy tradeoff for you...

You'd have better luck with the AT&T version for LTE.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Little confusing so let me make sure i have it right. If I got an unlocked att 8x, it will be compatiable with tmo's lte?

So let's try this again. As someone posted above, all 8Xs have LTE capabilities. Because each carrier has asked for its own bands for its network to be turned on only, that's what causes you to not be able to see a VZW SIM in the t-mo 8X and get LTE. Because AT&T & t-mo now use a common frequency, you can put a t-mo SIM in an AT&T unlocked phone, and depending on where you live, may get t-mo LTE. It won't be consistent, but you can get it. The two real reasons why them carriers use different bands is that if everyone used the same bands speed hogging American folks wouldn't get the fast speeds we crave. The other reason is profit...they lose more customers when it is easier to switch between carriers because money is made from both the handset purchase and the monthly service.

knowname

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I was told that the 8x is an lte phone but that the tmobile version was manufactured without the lte radio. Tmobile told me that any unlocked lte phone would work the same as a tmo lte phone as long as it is on the correct band

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99