925, Here Drive and Car Charging

tollonodre

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
I love my new 925 and I'm liking Here Drive more and more. But as others reported, it does seem to burn though the battery (and to be fair, just about every phone seems to do this when GPS is involved).

At any rate, I want to charge it while driving and using the app but having the charge plug ON TOP makes this less than elegant shall we say.

What are others doing?

aussiedog61

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Last edited:

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I love my new 925 and I'm liking Here Drive more and more. But as others reported, it does seem to burn though the battery (and to be fair, just about every phone seems to do this when GPS is involved).

At any rate, I want to charge it while driving and using the app but having the charge plug ON TOP makes this less than elegant shall we say.

What are others doing?

When I had my 900 it also had the usb port on the top and proclip had a great cradle for it. Just slid it in and the USB plug just aligned and plugged in. Now proclip doesn't have one for my 925 and stated that they may not. I have been waiting for someone to either product a generic qi wireless charger that I can attach to my proclip base or the Nokia one that I could mod to mount to the proclip base.

Currently I had to sacrifice the phone to the cup holder with an usb car charger I had laying around until I can find a better solution.

tollonodre

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site
When I had my 900 it also had the usb port on the top and proclip had a great cradle for it. Just slid it in and the USB plug just aligned and plugged in. Now proclip doesn't have one for my 925 and stated that they may not. I have been waiting for someone to either product a generic qi wireless charger that I can attach to my proclip base or the Nokia one that I could mod to mount to the proclip base.

Currently I had to sacrifice the phone to the cup holder with an usb car charger I had laying around until I can find a better solution.

My old BB worked the same, the windshield cradle had a plug built in and then you could just plug the power into the bottom of the cradle.
I was even hoping the app would just rotate so I could have the plug at the bottom, no such luck! Maybe I'll put in a request...

woodbane

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm told by a representative at ProClip that the charging holder for the 925 should become available this month (August) so personally I'd hold out for that. You won't find a better car setup that the ProClip one - rock solid, I've used them for years with the last 4 cell phones I've had and they've never let me done. Quality products.

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
I'm told by a representative at ProClip that the charging holder for the 925 should become available this month (August) so personally I'd hold out for that. You won't find a better car setup that the ProClip one - rock solid, I've used them for years with the last 4 cell phones I've had and they've never let me done. Quality products.

I hope they design it with the wireless charging back in mind. I would hate to have to take it off to us in the car and then put it back on to charge at home. I just sent a email to their customer support team to support the larger size of the phone with the charging back installed. Lets see what they come back with. It would bad to have to remove the back from the phone just to dock it in the car. I loved my dock for the Lumia 900 and it was "tight" to grip the phone and would not accommodate any type of case or cover on the phone.

Last edited:

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
My conversation with ProClip about Qi charging and USB charging a 925 using their holders:

Me: ProClip, It's been since January when you blogged about qi wireless charging in a mobile mount. Nokia has already introduced theirs but it's not available yet in the United States. I would love to use my new Lumia 925 that has a qi wireless charging back on it in my car. And since I already have the dashboard mount it would be a great combination. When?

ProClip USA Inc.:
The issue we found in our testing is that the current Qi technology will not charge the phone enough to use multiple applications while driving. For example if you are using Pandora or iHeart Radio and a navigation app at the same time the Qi charge will not charge the phone enough while in the holder. We will continue to look into using the technology as it progresses however at this time we will not use it for any of the Qi capable devices being sold. Thank you!

Me: Thanks for the update. I regularly use the navigation app and play audible books while driving and with I had my Lumia 900 your solution keeps the battery topped up via USB and I was very happy.

On the Lumia 925 I have now I do have the Qi charging back for home use. If you do make a holder for the 925 that powers by USB I am fine with that but I would really like to see ProClip accommodate the phone with the charging plate attached. In pervious holders you didn't account for skins or cases but for the Nokia phones it wouldn't make sense to remove the Qi charging back each time I would need to put the phone in the mount. Thanks..

ProClip USA Inc.: We will definitely accommodate the phones in cases and covers moving forward. Thank you!

aussiedog61

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
Can't wait to hear the results!

I finally received my Nokia CR-200 car charger and can confirm that the clip (bracket) does NOT interfere with any of the buttons on the 925 (plenty of clearance). I have only used it a couple of times since installation, but it works great and it's nice not having to plug in any wires. Unless there is a trick that I don't know about, you have to 'tag' the unit every time to activate the app. I wish that it did it automatically. I can't comment on the discharge versus charge rate when using multiple apps (i.e. running Navigon, Bluetooth streaming, and whatever else at the same time) as I have not used it enough yet. I hope this helps anyone that is interested in purchasing one in the future.

Attachments

• WP_000299.jpg
    WP_000299.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 3
  • WP_000303.jpg
    WP_000303.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Aounay

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
I finally received my Nokia CR-200 car charger and can confirm that the clip (bracket) does NOT interfere with any of the buttons on the 925 (plenty of clearance). I have only used it a couple of times since installation, but it works great and it's nice not having to plug in any wires. Unless there is a trick that I don't know about, you have to 'tag' the unit every time to activate the app. I wish that it did it automatically. I can't comment on the discharge versus charge rate when using multiple apps (i.e. running Navigon, Bluetooth streaming, and whatever else at the same time) as I have not used it enough yet. I hope this helps anyone that is interested in purchasing one in the future.

How does it attach to your vehicle? I've only seen the suction cup from the Nokia site.

hcrick

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site

Awesome, very helpful. Yes, it is normal to tag it before launching the app.

aussiedog61

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
How does it attach to your vehicle? I've only seen the suction cup from the Nokia site.

It comes with a round plastic disk that is adhesive backed for use with the suction cup. I just stuck the disk to the dash and then used the suction cup to mount the charger, Easy peasy.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon