from android to New HTC 8X, so far not so impressed :/

ShoryuKENN

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
so i broke my android HTC One X recently and decided to make the leap for a windows phone. I've had the 8X a couple weeks now. Having liked the looks and layout of WP i thought what could be so bad? I'm not here as a troll or a hater but I have to say I feel a little disappointed. I'm from the UK on T-Mobile now known as EE joint with orange. The phone is just not responsive like android was, it's full of bugs and sync errors. My incoming messages display sometime on the live tiles and do not most other times, there is no consistency. When I open an app like kik or whatsapp messages then randomly flood in after a big delay and it's nothing to do with my connection as it's a perfect 3G connection + strong wifi. With android everything was just working on the dot......these are very basic things for an OS to get right. I also noticed whatsapp messages have incorrect received times displayed under, for example: I will send a message then my friends message will display sent at an earlier time even though it's been sent in response a while after my message, this is so bugged. The phone is fully up to date by the way, i've run all the updates available and also with my apps in the app-store. I appreciate the design of the phone, it's beautiful but i'm not sure if i can handle all the ridiculous little flaws. I hope they fix these flaws with more updates but it doesn't seem like it at the moment. I know WP is still a growing concept but whether i have the time to wait around for it to become usable enough, i don't know, it's 2013 ffs. Basically once my screen is locked it's just a dead phone, seems like it doesn't do anything in the background.....even my crappy blackberry would blink for me when messages came when the screen was locked. Opening kik and whatsapp is pretty damn slow too, i was having ONE conversation and it was like the phone was dying to keep up, lag left right and centre. Boot up is slow compared to my previous HTC One X which i wasn't really expecting considering wp8 doesn not require as much RAM and CPU as android.

whatsapp looks rubbish on wp8, you can't even see the other persons display picture when in a chat.....what were they thinking? + all the speech bubbles are the same colour so my group convos just look like im talking to myself, it's annoying on my eyes too and isn't interesting to look at. kik is a bit better though i admit. I hate how connection information and battery level data disappear from the top of the screen and i have to tap it to look at it....as if they are even in the way of anything!? They keyboard is definitely starting to **** me off too, the predictive txt feature sucks compared to how it was on android and the fact there are no other keyboard apps available is a let down. Maybe its my huge fat fingers? i don't know but it was fine on the BB and android HTC i had before :/

The copy and paste feature is also a fail, i cannot select specific parts of a text and highlight and copy it, what the hell is that all about? i can only copy the entire text by holding down on it and selecting copy *facepalm*

most files i try and download through the browser will never download or open as it is not compatible but with my android almost EVERYTHING i downloaded or opened would work.......it feels almost like WP is acting like iOS here and android is the windows computer capable of running everything -.-

The broswer has no forward button, sometimes the back button just exits the browser without even going back a page. I cant kill the apps that are running but just have to keep pressing on the back key over and over meaning i could potentially be clicking it for years......this is so primitive for 2013.

Don't get me wrong im no 'android fan', it had its flaws too. If i was a droid fan i would never have changed but i like giving new things a try (except iphone, i hate apple stuff) and was just hoping WP would be at least as easy to work with. The reason i even chose WP was because it looked so damn easy to work with from the reviews i looked at. Thanks for listening to my rant anyway, if anyone can shed some light on the matter that would be great. Maybe i got it wrong? maybe WP will release updates soon to fix all these little problems? who knows......

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
so i broke my android HTC One X recently and decided to make the leap for a windows phone. I've had the 8X a couple weeks now. Having liked the looks and layout of WP i thought what could be so bad? I'm not here as a troll or a hater but I have to say I feel a little disappointed. I'm from the UK on T-Mobile now known as EE joint with orange. The phone is just not responsive like android was, it's full of bugs and sync errors. My incoming messages display sometime on the live tiles and do not most other times, there is no consistency. When I open an app like kik or whatsapp messages then randomly flood in after a big delay and it's nothing to do with my connection as it's a perfect 3G connection + strong wifi. With android everything was just working on the dot......these are very basic things for an OS to get right. I also noticed whatsapp messages have incorrect received times displayed under, for example: I will send a message then my friends message will display sent at an earlier time even though it's been sent in response a while after my message, this is so bugged. The phone is fully up to date by the way, i've run all the updates available and also with my apps in the app-store. I appreciate the design of the phone, it's beautiful but i'm not sure if i can handle all the ridiculous little flaws. I hope they fix these flaws with more updates but it doesn't seem like it at the moment. I know WP is still a growing concept but whether i have the time to wait around for it to become usable enough, i don't know, it's 2013 ffs. Basically once my screen is locked it's just a dead phone, seems like it doesn't do anything in the background.....even my crappy blackberry would blink for me when messages came when the screen was locked. Opening kik and whatsapp is pretty damn slow too, i was having ONE conversation and it was like the phone was dying to keep up, lag left right and centre. Boot up is slow compared to my previous HTC One X which i wasn't really expecting considering wp8 doesn not require as much RAM and CPU as android.

whatsapp looks rubbish on wp8, you can't even see the other persons display picture when in a chat.....what were they thinking? + all the speech bubbles are the same colour so my group convos just look like im talking to myself, it's annoying on my eyes too and isn't interesting to look at. kik is a bit better though i admit. I hate how connection information and battery level data disappear from the top of the screen and i have to tap it to look at it....as if they are even in the way of anything!? They keyboard is definitely starting to **** me off too, the predictive txt feature sucks compared to how it was on android and the fact there are no other keyboard apps available is a let down. Maybe its my huge fat fingers? i don't know but it was fine on the BB and android HTC i had before :/

The copy and paste feature is also a fail, i cannot select specific parts of a text and highlight and copy it, what the hell is that all about? i can only copy the entire text by holding down on it and selecting copy *facepalm*

most files i try and download through the browser will never download or open as it is not compatible but with my android almost EVERYTHING i downloaded or opened would work.......it feels almost like WP is acting like iOS here and android is the windows computer capable of running everything -.-

The broswer has no forward button, sometimes the back button just exits the browser without even going back a page. I cant kill the apps that are running but just have to keep pressing on the back key over and over meaning i could potentially be clicking it for years......this is so primitive for 2013.

Don't get me wrong im no 'android fan', it had its flaws too. If i was a droid fan i would never have changed but i like giving new things a try (except iphone, i hate apple stuff) and was just hoping WP would be at least as easy to work with. The reason i even chose WP was because it looked so damn easy to work with from the reviews i looked at. Thanks for listening to my rant anyway, if anyone can shed some light on the matter that would be great. Maybe i got it wrong? maybe WP will release updates soon to fix all these little problems? who knows......

The lag and UI issues are more app related rather than OS. Kik hasn't been updated in over a year,and has become increasingly unreliable,as a result. Whatsapp is updated weekly, some updates introduce new bugs while others squash them. It does run much better than it has in the past year and is much better than Kik in this field. The keyboard in WP improves the more its used, the predictive text and word correction features are best in class as they have been built by the office team. Copy and paste you just tap a word and then expand the field with the cursors. In WP there is no need to close apps as they're just suspended in the background and aren't consuming any resources unless they have a background task associated with them and even then they can only run on a limited basis. The forward function can be utilized by using the recent feature or through the different tabs. The status indicators only display if something is wrong (eg no signal or low battery) no news is good news in other words.

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
It seems like a lot of your complaints are app related and not os-related. I always thought the keyboard was amazing. Same for copy and paste. But It seems like android might be the better choice for you.

oscarcanada

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
OP I totally agree. I purchased my 8x back in December because I wanted I try something new apart from ios.
I insisted on the 8x, despite staff in te Microsoft store trying to forces the Lumia 920 onto me, because it was distinctive and different.
As much as I like my 8x, I wouldn't be able to use it as my primary device for many of the reasons you have outlined. I have viber for instance, which I had always used to contact my family back in the UK. Sometimes a missed call won't show until like 2; hours after the event! I tested it once, calling from my iPhone to the 8x and I could hear it ringing through the iPhone but no response on the 8x
It's all well and good saying these things are "app-related", but that doesn't cut it when the same said app actually does work on other platforms.
My advice woul be to stick with the 8x a little longer, an make alter active plans for your messaging etc because I agree, whatsapp and viber are unreliable and the typing experience isn't the best

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ShoryuKENN

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
OP I totally agree. I purchased my 8x back in December because I wanted I try something new apart from ios.
I insisted on the 8x, despite staff in te Microsoft store trying to forces the Lumia 920 onto me, because it was distinctive and different.
As much as I like my 8x, I wouldn't be able to use it as my primary device for many of the reasons you have outlined. I have viber for instance, which I had always used to contact my family back in the UK. Sometimes a missed call won't show until like 2; hours after the event! I tested it once, calling from my iPhone to the 8x and I could hear it ringing through the iPhone but no response on the 8x
It's all well and good saying these things are "app-related", but that doesn't cut it when the same said app actually does work on other platforms.
My advice woul be to stick with the 8x a little longer, an make alter active plans for your messaging etc because I agree, whatsapp and viber are unreliable and the typing experience isn't the best

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

ye you're right. It doesn't seem many people on here are acknowledging or coming to terms with WP's issues and are just blaming the apps instead of confronting the problems. The apps are still WP's problem because the fact remains that they don't work appropriately on their OS and that's that. I have to face it, WP is a primitive OS compared to android or iOS and that's purely because the little tiny features that are extremely basic to work on a smartphone, don't work properly on WP. I'm not asking for anything fancy at all, I just want basic stuff to function as they should.........microsoft, what the hell are you doing?

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Noone is denying there aren't issues. But a little research would've informed you about the things you don't care about before you bought the phone.

MikeLip

Apr 20, 2013
Visit site
Copy and paste - tap a word - the whole word will highlight. There will be two draggable cursors, one on each end of the word. Drag them to cover what you want to copy. Tap copy. Done. Easy. But yeah, now 100% intuitive. Agree - browser needs a forward button. Also agree, there are not many associable apps. For instance, you cannot download Youtube flvs and play them. The remainder of your problems are not WP8 problems, they are app problems.

You don't need to kill apps. Like Android, WP8 manages resources so the app that has focus gets the resources. But yeah, I do agree there ought to be a way to kill it from the running app selection. A major bother for me is the inability to lock screen rotation. What is THAT about? Come on, Microsoft.

Other than these problems, I find WP8 my preferred platform. It's way cleaner than Android, and more elegant and up to date than iOS. It needs work though.

eltawil

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Also, if you tap and hold in a text box, you get to point the text cursor exactly where you want it, for example, between letters in a certain typed word.

ShoryuKENN

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
all my notifications are bugged though, they either appear at the wrong time or they never appear at all.......most never appear. My contacts on whatsapp appear as unknown numbers in the notification pop up instead of their contact names in my phonebook then when you open the conversation you can see the contact name...it's such a fail + everything is up to date so there's no damn excuses

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had five Windows phones now, the previous four were all Nokia, but I can honestly say that the HTC 8X I have now is the best of the bunch. My previous Nokia phones were 710, 800, 620, 820. Never had any issues with the 710 and 800, the 800 especially was a great phone, but I wanted WP8, The 820 was a bit of a brick, too chunky and too heavy. The 620 was actually really nice and I liked it a lot, a little sluggish here and there but nothing major. The thing that prompted me to move away from the 620 though is that the screen would become unresponsive a lot. If it had just been once every couple of days I probably would have lived with it, but it was happening around 8 times per day in the end. Picked up an HTC8X from eBay, easily unlocked and have never looked back, decent/better resolution screen than most other Windows Phone handsets and it just basically works. The only Nokia exclusive app that I absolutely had to have was Here Drive, but that's available on the HTC handset now anyway.

Nokia may be king of the wp8 hill, but don't knock HTC until you've tried it.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
The directions for copy/paste are right on. Unfortunately, the OP is right and the copy/paste doesn't work like that inside the text messaging app - you can't select *part* of a text message and copy it. You have to select the whole thing, copy it, paste it and then edit out what you don't want. You can do it, but it just adds an extra step.

eltawil

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, sorry, but you chose the wrong Windows Phone to switch to. I too chose the HTC 8X since my carrier didn't have any Lumia phones. I wish I waited for the Lumias to arrive. It's quite clear that HTC doesn't care at all about Windows Phone while Nokia is putting 110%.

MilkyTee

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, sorry, but you chose the wrong Windows Phone to switch to. I too chose the HTC 8X since my carrier didn't have any Lumia phones. I wish I waited for the Lumias to arrive. It's quite clear that HTC doesn't care at all about Windows Phone while Nokia is putting 110%.

His problems are all app related, how would switching to a different OEM solve his woes?
Although I agree, if you're getting a WP, get a Nokia, for a plethora of other reasons. Namely support.

TC, I don't really have any of the problems you listed. Although Viber used to only work on occassion. There's been a few updates since and it's more stable now. Though I also had it on Android and it was pretty hit and miss too.

And I'm surprised when you say you've encountered lag. I've never, and I mean never, experienced any slowdown on my phone, regardless of what I'm doing. Even Windows Phones like the Nokia 520(with only 512MB RAM) zip along, happy as Larry. Not saying you're making that up obviously, I'm just surprised.

WP8 is an exciting OS, and it's growing by the day. You just have to give it time. Technically, it's only 8 months old. 150,000+ apps after such a short space of time is pretty good going.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6