Samsung Ative S and GDR2 disappointed

tdrock1

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
This is really disappointing; I have Rogers Ative S and I got the update. no FM radio, data sense, no option to select default lenses. Overall nothing new.

This is what tick me off, it does not fix other storage bug.

Really disappointed in Microsoft and Samsung. I think it's time to switch OS
wp_ss_20130805_0002.jpgwp_ss_20130805_0001.jpg

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I think its more a Samsung than a WP issue, IIRC unbranded ativ's didn't get fm radio or datasense so its on Samsung. However seeing as Tmo's 925 has datasense and att's 1020 doesn't carrier influence is also a factor and unfortunately that seems to be a distinct weakness of WP compared to other platforms so your reaction isn't entirely unjustified.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
There were ativ's in Germany that did not get fm radio and data sense with their gdr2 update.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Backup your apps and then do a factory reset. Restore your apps and then check if you have the same issue after a few days.

My suggestion don't be too hasty . If the issue still persists do switch to Android or whatever OS you deem worthy. It is your money after all.

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Backup your apps and then do a factory reset. Restore your apps and then check if you have the same issue after a few days.

My suggestion don't be too hasty . If the issue still persists do switch to Android or whatever OS you deem worthy. It is your money after all.

Confused? Don't think a factory reset will fix not having fm radio or datasense?

ZenBot

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I think I'll wait it out rather than do a factory reset. That may in fact work, but it's not the way it's supposed to work. I have no use for FM radio and little use for Data Sense.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Not sure why we should attempt a reset. It may not even work for everyone.

EDIT: A reset managed to work for me. Though it's also possible that Samsung will release another update in a little while with a quick fix (wishful thinking?).

Last edited:

tdrock1

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Hard reset does work. I got data sense now, hopefully other storage bug is fixed, time will tell.
For fm radio, this phone doesn't have the chip.

I lost YouTube app because of hardrest

ShocWave

May 13, 2012
Visit site
Just FYI, The ATIV S is missing the radio chip, that's why no FM Radio, no update will be able to give the ATIV S FM radio.

I don't know who is spreading this crap, but I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that Ativ S has the FM Radio hardware, but is licensing the features to individual carriers.

Matthew Becker1

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I don't know who is spreading this crap, but I'm pretty sure it's been confirmed that Ativ S has the FM Radio hardware, but is licensing the features to individual carriers.
According to Bell's release notes, there is no mention about FM Radio being enabled. So, regardless whether or not the device supports it, it hasn't been activated with GDR2. This is just, however, for the Canadian version of the phone. I'm not sure if European models had their FM Radio enabled.

GDR2 for Samsung ATIV S on Bell changelog leaked, coming 5th August | WMPoweruser

There's also this: http://support.bell.ca/Mobility/Sma...ternet/Operating-Systems?alias=Samsung-ATIV-S

SevenDead1ySinz

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site

And where did you get this from? Cuz almost ALL phones use the headphones as a FM radio antenna

The Snapdragon S4 (MSM8960) in the ATIV S uses an analog chip to enable FM Radio and Bluetooth 4.0 (the WCN3660). The Galaxy S3 has this chip, but it is missing from the ATIV S

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Maybe you could point us to some evidence of the missing chip? This was never mentioned before the update hit and there was no radio enabled so I wonder where this info is coming from.

SevenDead1ySinz

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you could point us to some evidence of the missing chip? This was never mentioned before the update hit and there was no radio enabled so I wonder where this info is coming from.

Samsung Ativ S I8750 - Full phone specifications You'll notice that under Features for radio is just says no whereas with the Nokia Lumia 920 (which has the same processor, and has the WCN3660 chip, it says FM Radio) Nokia Lumia 920 - Full phone specifications. With the 920 the FM Radio is just software blocked, on the ATIV S it is non-existent, along with Bluetooth 4.0, because Samsung did not include the combo chip.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Afaik Nokia never listed fm radio in the specs for the 920 either, so how gsmarena came about listing it before it was announced strikes me as odd.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs