What does everyone think of the Glance screen?

MDak280

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Wait, Glance Screen doesn't show notifications? All this time I thought it did but if it only shows the time then it's not as useful as I thought. I was looking forward to this!

I likw it but more excited about being able to use nokia pro cam. people seem to be forgetting about thisone lol

I haven't forgotten, I'm so excited about Pro Cam :D

John20212

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
This! Totally agree - if they can add the information that they already include in the lockscreen to the Glance screen, this would be a great feature add!

Totally agree, it would significantly boost the usefulness of glance screen.

What's interesting though is that battery charging shows, but notifications don't.

erzhik

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
The reason it doesn't show notifications is because of Microsoft's incompetence. I wish Nokia had full control over WP's development.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I like it, even though I wear a watch. I just wish you could turn it off when it is plugged in and charging, don't need to see it on all night. I ended up just flipping the phone over each night now.

I'm not 100% positive that this will work for the charging stand but it may be worth a try, if you set the Glance screen to "Peek" the screen goes dark until its perimeter motion sensor is set off (top left corner of unit IIRC) (I'll give this a shot when I get home tonight and set my phone on the charging stand.) One other option that might help at night is enabling/setting it to use "Night mode". This setting turns the text to almost blood red (if this feature had come out during the TwiHard movie craze Nokia/MS would've sold 10 million phones a day LOL). The clock is no longer glaring and bright in a dark room but is still easy to read if you need to.

dogfacedsoldier

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
I'm not 100% positive that this will work for the charging stand but it may be worth a try, if you set the Glance screen to "Peek" the screen goes dark until its perimeter motion sensor is set off (top left corner of unit IIRC) (I'll give this a shot when I get home tonight and set my phone on the charging stand.) One other option that might help at night is enabling/setting it to use "Night mode". This setting turns the text to almost blood red (if this feature had come out during the TwiHard movie craze Nokia/MS would've sold 10 million phones a day LOL). The clock is no longer glaring and bright in a dark room but is still easy to read if you need to.

Yes, I have it set to Night Mode and I like the red numerals, but as far as I can tell, the clock stays on all night when it is plugged in charging. I'll see if it shuts off tonight.

techiedude007

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Yes, I have it set to Night Mode and I like the red numerals, but as far as I can tell, the clock stays on all night when it is plugged in charging. I'll see if it shuts off tonight.

Yep, it does. Even with the "Peek" setting enabled, the Glance screen with Night Mode still stays on the entire time that it is on the charger. Oh well...

dogfacedsoldier

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site
Yep, it does. Even with the "Peek" setting enabled, the Glance screen with Night Mode still stays on the entire time that it is on the charger. Oh well...

Yes, confirmed it last night too. Shame you can't elect to turn it off if it is plugged in, but maybe that's an option for an update down the road?

annchez

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Just like everyone who had the N9, at first I was super excited because I really missed this feature. Then slightly disappointed when I found out it doesn't show the notifications. I do look at it a lot for the clock though, so I'm very happy to at least have that.

Slightly concerned because the clock doesn't seem to change places as fast as the N9... I feel like every time I look at it, it's always on the bottom left of the screen.

techygeek82

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree with most. It would be far more useful if it showed that we had notifications. That and if it allowed '1 wave to peek. Another wave to unlock'. So basically I could wave my hand over the phone to access glance and then another to unlock the phone. As it exists now, it takes more steps to unlock than just pressing the power button.Great to have though. I'm sure Nokia will make it even better going forward.

Arsenic17

May 19, 2012
Visit site
Anyone has any problems with the Glance screen settings just not working? I initially had it set to on all the time, but it seemed to really kill my battery. I then set it to 15 minute timed, but it never would go off. Hours and hours just sitting on a desk and it wouldnt go off. Then I tried to set it to peek, and still, it never goes off.

Oh well. I have since turned it off. It is just not that useful without notifications. If you are close enough to your phone to look at it and read the time, you are close enough to reach out and double tap or push the power button to see that too, AND be able to see your notifications. Oh well. Great job by Nokia to add these type of features. This combined with about 500 other reasons really make a Lumia phone the premium Windows Phone.

airwavepirate

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
On my 1020 in the glance settings it says the clock and notifications should appear, but they dont. I have it on peek and it never shows notifications, only the clock.

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I can't get the "peek" function to work on my 1020. The "hover your hand over the phone" trick just doesn't work.

Anyone?

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
On my 1020 in the glance settings it says the clock and notifications should appear, but they dont. I have it on peek and it never shows notifications, only the clock.

the new update doesn't have that option anymore. It was released prematurely. The next big update will enable it. At this time, it will only show clock and ringer settings, battery chraging.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I think nokia will introduce all symbian features soon to lumia range...my 808 has glance screen and notifications...now iam buying 1020..shifting frm symbian to windows hope I stay happy...thou I have note 2 for.other stuff

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I had it turned off because I was scared it was a battery drain and also for AMO-LED "Burn In". As others have stated, the fact it doesn't show notifications usually forces you to hit the power button anyways.

The time actually moves up and down the screen, slowly. It doesn't stay in one spot. I wouldn't worry about any "burn in".

Edit: Ugh. Lol. Posting from WP Central App, didn't realize this was 4 pages. Probably mentioned this fact already.

Soyeb Mullick

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
The glance feature is awesome. Basically I used the "Nokia Sleep Screen' before in N8 and C6-01. The main thing which I like about the Amber update, is the glance feature only. I love it a lot. But if the Notifications of MSGs, Emails, and other chat massengers, included. That'll be like the best thing about my Lumia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb