Lumia 720 AMBER update INDIA release date 12-Aug-2013

donoester

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
So I guess having paid quite a premium for the 720 considering the specs are nearly the same as the 520 doesn't result in higher priority of availability. I'm in embedded software development myself, but for developing software for more mission critical hardware than phones.
Nokia/MS is already way behind schedule with GDR2 and the list of priorities is a complete joke. A joke because with so many models you build from the same source with various defines enabled/disabled - it doesn't take what apparently amounts to weeks in difference between releases or availability in different markets.
I'm also sure that all testing is automated and simulated on multiple phones simultaneously (all phone manufacturers do).

rohitsingh

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
So I guess having paid quite a premium for the 720 considering the specs are nearly the same as the 520 doesn't result in higher priority of availability. I'm in embedded software development myself, but for developing software for more mission critical hardware than phones.
Nokia/MS is already way behind schedule with GDR2 and the list of priorities is a complete joke. A joke because with so many models you build from the same source with various defines enabled/disabled - it doesn't take what apparently amounts to weeks in difference between releases or availability in different markets.
I'm also sure that all testing is automated and simulated on multiple phones simultaneously (all phone manufacturers do).

Relax. GDR2 was made available for lumia 920 only 2 days back and india was among the first markets to get the update. There is no evidence to suggest that there will be a difference of weeks in roll out to other devices. Atleast wait for a week before you start complaining. And please, i repeat please, do not blame nokia because people here have been giving random dates and citing nokia care as the 'reliable' source. High time we all realise that nokia care is not exactly a reliable source and stop spreading FUD. the update will get here when it gets here.

And quite frankly paying premium for the device wasnt just so you could get early updates. It also included a larger better quality screen, a device with a better design and look, and definitely a much better camera and flash, and the option for wireless charging. Thats why you paid the additional bucks

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I don't know whether it was Nokia who gave a specific release date/month for the Amber update or it was all rumors. What I think is Nokia should keep things under the wraps until its ready and then make the announcement so that people don't go apesh*t about it.

nautanki_saala

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

920 is a flagship device so its getting the update first.

820 and 620 were releases together with 920. So according to their price they are scheduled to get next.

520 was released after that and is most sold device. So they are getting after 620.

720 is a new device recently launched. So they are scheduled to get last.

I assume your device is new why not enjoy it till you get a bit bored and then ull receive the update.

I have a 620 and 820 since 8 months with the same old firmware.

nautanki_saala

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Relax. GDR2 was made available for lumia 920 only 2 days back and india was among the first markets to get the update. There is no evidence to suggest that there will be a difference of weeks in roll out to other devices. Atleast wait for a week before you start complaining. And please, i repeat please, do not blame nokia because people here have been giving random dates and citing nokia care as the 'reliable' source. High time we all realise that nokia care is not exactly a reliable source and stop spreading FUD. the update will get here when it gets here.

And quite frankly paying premium for the device wasnt just so you could get early updates. It also included a larger better quality screen, a device with a better design and look, and definitely a much better camera and flash, and the option for wireless charging. Thats why you paid the additional bucks

The source of my information is not the ****ty Nokia Care India but Nokia Global Website. Totally Reliable right?

Visit this link and scroll abt an inch down.

http://www.nokia.com/global/support...ware-update/wp8-availability-in-asia-pacific/

Naveen Navi V

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Wow, keep patience bro. Nokia does everything for a customer but d only thing is they are late. So please don't just shout at nokia, they r doing at there best. Thank u.

rohitsingh

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
The source of my information is not the ****ty Nokia Care India but Nokia Global Website. Totally Reliable right?

Visit this link and scroll abt an inch down.

Availability in Asia Pacific - Nokia

It just says awaiting approval for both the lumia 720 and the 520. How did you presume that the 720 will get it AFTER the 520? Or that 720 will get it WEEKS after the other phones?

On a related note, have a link at this article, Latest Windows Phone data shows slow GDR2 release, possible 'phablet' and more | Windows Phone Central, there's a poe chart in there that tells us that together, 520 and 720, make up 50% of the entire volume of windows phones in India, including all OEMs and all generation devices.

It is very much possible that Nokia is just trying to double check and make sure, that in case of a bug, majority of its customer base does not end up with buggy phones. It could be anything. We dont know. So lets not assume. I am sure Nokia does not intend to ignore the two most popular phones, when releasing updates in India. That, in simple terms, would be bad for their business.

So calm down, and wait. The update will get here in time.

nautanki_saala

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
It just says awaiting approval for both the lumia 720 and the 520. How did you presume that the 720 will get it AFTER the 520? Or that 720 will get it WEEKS after the other phones?

On a related note, have a link at this article, Latest Windows Phone data shows slow GDR2 release, possible 'phablet' and more | Windows Phone Central, there's a poe chart in there that tells us that together, 520 and 720, make up 50% of the entire volume of windows phones in India, including all OEMs and all generation devices.

It is very much possible that Nokia is just trying to double check and make sure, that in case of a bug, majority of its customer base does not end up with buggy phones. It could be anything. We dont know. So lets not assume. I am sure Nokia does not intend to ignore the two most popular phones, when releasing updates in India. That, in simple terms, would be bad for their business.

So calm down, and wait. The update will get here in time.

Mark my words 520 and 720 will get it last. Now im not going to explain why. I've already posted a lot about this in different topics. Surf urself. 820 which was coming soon has started rolling out in selected countries and soon will get global.

alv3st3r

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
Mark my words 520 and 720 will get it last. Now im not going to explain why. I've already posted a lot about this in different topics. Surf urself. 820 which was coming soon has started rolling out in selected countries and soon will get global.

I have a neighbor who works at Nokia. When he came to know that I bought a Lumia 720, he said why did I buy it. He told me that are a lot of software problems with 720 and I shouldn't have gone for it. He backed it up by saying that many 720 owners are reporting problems with their phone.

So maybe this is the reason why 720 will get it last so that Nokia can fix all the bugs but what I don't get it is all Lumia WP8 are running essentially on the same software, then why this is supposed to happen?

PS: My 720 is 20 days old now and so far I've faced 3 automatic restarts and it froze on me one time. Had to do hardware reset to revive it.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have a neighbor who works at Nokia. When he came to know that I bought a Lumia 720, he said why did I buy it. He told me that are a lot of software problems with 720 and I shouldn't have gone for it. He backed it up by saying that many 720 owners are reporting problems with their phone.

So maybe this is the reason why 720 will get it last so that Nokia can fix all the bugs but what I don't get it is all Lumia WP8 are running essentially on the same software, then why this is supposed to happen?

PS: My 720 is 20 days old now and so far I've faced 3 automatic restarts and it froze on me one time. Had to do hardware reset to revive it.

He's probably referring to the firmware not the OS. Each phone has a different firmware based on the components in the device. Obviously something isn't working correctly and requires some in depth trouble shooting.

VinaySC

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Okay. The Amber is *very very* slowly getting into the Lumias all over the world. Does any one know about DATA SENSE...will the 520 customers in India getting it.?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro