Rogers GDR2 Update....Update

Status
Not open for further replies.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I got almost the same answer : "@NokiaHelps: @TruPlaya1870 As previously advised, we still can't comment on future software update release. Visit our website for further updates. ^AR"

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I see. But on mine, He said the amber update never was officially announced! We know microsoft officially announced GDR2 and are actually deploying it. But what about AMBER? Is NOKIA going crazy by saying they never officially announced it? I'm confused now... :confused:

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
It's not entirely up to Nokia or Microsoft though, all they can do is develop, test, and hand the update off to the carrier. It is the carrier that ultimately decides to push out the update and when. Until Windows Phone has Apple-like marketshare and recognition, this will never change. Bombarding Nokia support with these requests is ultimately futile. They want us to have these updates, they want us to have a good product (I hope). You should be bugging your carrier for the update, as it's in their hands. At least this is the way it looks on the outside.

Dos101

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Well, if you read post #40 you'll see the carrier was also bombarded and doesn't have it either.

Oh I know, I also bugged Rogers but they are tight lipped. What I am saying is that when it is up to the carrier for pushing out updates, bugging Nokia doesn't do to much as they don't have too much leverage over carriers. The only thing right now I blame them (and Microsoft for) is the lack of a date as to when the update is supposed to be pushed out. It happens all the time in the Windows Phone world and is getting very annoying not knowing when updates are coming.

MyThIc3LiTe

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
If anyone has done a Euro update, do AWS bands stay intact?

I never like carrier bull****, bull**** in general when it comes to updates.

Why they need carrier authentication and testing at all is asinine.

Last I checked, before Apple went large with the iPhone, they didn't hand it off to ATT for testing. They pushed it right to their customers. Hell, I'm running iOS 7 betas that somehow got pushed out without carrier testing at all.

Carrier testing my balls.

Edit: before some clever cat jumps down my throat; everything on my iOS 7 beta works just fine. Tethering through wifi and bluetooth, visual voicemail, texting, mms; whole 9 yards. So please, carrier testing my balls once again. What do they need to test? I mean add on their redundant crap to the OS?

At least Apple had the balls to say "No, we aren't running **** by you. You send us your profiles and we integrate them and we push out the software"

Why couldn't MS take the same stance?

Last edited:

aliencatos

Dec 12, 2010
Visit site
I don't know where the Nokia Care Suite check for the firmware file on the internet but when I check with this software, the software version is the same on my phone and on internet : 1232.5962.1314.0000

so if it check on nokia server, they don't have the new firmware...

Rancorbeast

Nov 17, 2010
Visit site
If anyone has done a Euro update, do AWS bands stay intact?

I never like carrier bull****, bull**** in general when it comes to updates.

Why they need carrier authentication and testing at all is asinine.

Last I checked, before Apple went large with the iPhone, they didn't hand it off to ATT for testing. They pushed it right to their customers. Hell, I'm running iOS 7 betas that somehow got pushed out without carrier testing at all.

Carrier testing my balls.

I could not have said it better! In fact I seem to recall Microsoft claiming that with WP8, carriers would not be co*kblocking the update process and if problems were to arise they would bypass them altogether. I hate to say it but if Microsoft is serious about being a "device and services" company, it needs to grow some cohones and tell the carriers to su*k it! I understand the argument that they may not have the market share to drive this forward but hey, I love my Lumia 920, and I think Nokia loves it too, Rogers doesn't care :(

Please Nokia, Microsoft take some risks will ya!

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
No carrier has released GDR2 OTA for the 920 so why are people flipping out as if they are missing out on something? Secondly, there was no date given for the release so I don't see why people are losing their **** like they missed some kind of deadline. We know it's coming this month so sit tight and take some deep breaths.

I would like to receive updates sooner as well but doesn't mean going nuts here is going to solve anything.

darkest.white

May 12, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I've also came to this conclusion, I'm pretty certain we'll see something this month. I was really bad at getting all the July release rumors get to me so I've been expecting it for a while now, instead of waiting to hear anything official

Jeebs1234

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Speaking of Nokia Canada, how come I have to pay postage to send my damn phone in for repairs. US customers have service so much better. Anyway, no update here yet.

MyThIc3LiTe

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
No carrier has released GDR2 OTA for the 920 so why are people flipping out as if they are missing out on something? Secondly, there was no date given for the release so I don't see why people are losing their **** like they missed some kind of deadline. We know it's coming this month so sit tight and take some deep breaths.

I would like to receive updates sooner as well but doesn't mean going nuts here is going to solve anything.

Because this is a ****ty example that all carriers always set and never bother changing. Why do we have to wait for a Windows update? Why do Android users have to wait for their updates? FFS, even Blackberry owners can flash any OS from anywhere in the world with ease yet we have to jump through multiple hoops.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

I feel it should be released at the same time that way no ones left out if all don't have then none should seems only fair or advise the consumers " hey if your phone is a carrier phone you will be last for updates but you will get it just after everyone else" then at least we now what to expect in the future

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
And all this about " there's nothing official out about gdr2" what do you mean not official its not a fake maybe not an official ota update but its the real update so those with the gdr2 update are enjoying the real gdr2 just much sooner than us pissed carrier customers

Ayman Jaddaa

Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
According to the Customer Service for Nokia Canada, they said it will be released to carriers in Q3. Keep in mind that carriers will still have to 'test' the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss