Solution to battery drain

jay minhas

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but I, like many others have been experiencing a severe battery drain on my 928. I tried stopping background apps, uninstalling some apps, rebooting phone but nothing seemed to work. I started messing around with all of my settings and I noticed that my email, in this case Gmail, always took forever to sync (at least 5-10 minutes) ... I have no idea why it takes this long but I switched the sync option for all my email to "manual" so its not spending all day syncing emails in the background. I have noticed a substantial change in my battery life.

Hope this helps

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if this has been posted yet or not but I, like many others have been experiencing a severe battery drain on my 928. I tried stopping background apps, uninstalling some apps, rebooting phone but nothing seemed to work. I started messing around with all of my settings and I noticed that my email, in this case Gmail, always took forever to sync (at least 5-10 minutes) ... I have no idea why it takes this long but I switched the sync option for all my email to "manual" so its not spending all day syncing emails in the background. I have noticed a substantial change in my battery life.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the tip

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site
I may try that. I have 5 email accounts going. I have work, Gmail, yahoo, yahoo, and outlook. Maybe its time to consolidate. I would really hate to have to manually update. What uses more battery, push email (outlook) or the way Gmail and yahoo is syncing every so often?

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I may try that. I have 5 email accounts going. I have work, Gmail, yahoo, yahoo, and outlook. Maybe its time to consolidate. I would really hate to have to manually update. What uses more battery, push email (outlook) or the way Gmail and yahoo is syncing every so often?

Push email uses the least amount of battery since it doesn't react until it's told there's an email. That said, I was under the impression Gmail uses a push protocol.

jay minhas

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how it works but for myself atleast, Gmail takes about 10-15 minutes to sync. And since I had Gmail set to automatically sync every 15 minutes, it pretty much kept going all the time in the background. Anyways, I hope this helps out at least some people!

Fred Simpson

Banned
Aug 7, 2013
Visit site
On my 928 any navigation or game app I've used will drain my battery 11 to 12% inside first 20 minutes with all background tasks off . Phone uses power great otherwise but not with apps.My concern is batteries don't get better with time and Lumia's is non removable I think

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
On my 928 any navigation or game app I've used will drain my battery 11 to 12% inside first 20 minutes with all background tasks off . Phone uses power great otherwise but not with apps.My concern is batteries don't get better with time and Lumia's is non removable I think

The AMOLED screen can really dig into battery life, so expect things that keep the majority of screen on for a long time to drain battery quickly. I turn the screen off when navigating and usually just rely on voice unless the intersection looks crazy. It's also good to keep the black background theme, black means off pixels for AMOLED, so you'll save some battery life there.

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
You can set up your gmail account as an exchange server to push. Lot's of instructions on the web on how to do it.

I went 10 days and saw about a 1%/hr battery drain. I was going two days on a charge. 3 days go I'm back to 3to4%/hr and nothing has changed other than my "Battery" app was updated. The update shouldn't matter but who knows. Strange phone...

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Push email uses the least amount of battery since it doesn't react until it's told there's an email. That said, I was under the impression Gmail uses a push protocol.

Gmail uses push protocol if you are on an Android phone or tablet. However, if you are using iOS, WP7/8, Windows, or Mac OS then it uses IMAP/POP3.

deadwrong03

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
You can set up your gmail account as an exchange server to push. Lot's of instructions on the web on how to do it.

I went 10 days and saw about a 1%/hr battery drain. I was going two days on a charge. 3 days go I'm back to 3to4%/hr and nothing has changed other than my "Battery" app was updated. The update shouldn't matter but who knows. Strange phone...
u think the battery app could be causing the drain?

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I do a soft reset after every major round of app updates. otherwise my batter starts draining. I think it has to do with how the apps try to check into location services. Otherwise I don't have too many issues with the battery. There are a few games that will eat it like no tomorrow though. fairway solitaire and NOVA are both pretty big energy eaters.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I was getting anywhere from 10% an hour to 20% an hour after having everything set to always on and always updating. After cleaning things up I would get 9%+ drain an hour. After setting my yahoo account to manual sync and deleting unused apps I'm at 1.33% drain...wow.

Riverrunner88

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I think it's the "battery" app. I don't think it's working properly and I may need to look for a different one. I'll do a soft reset and then I will get and bunch of battery life back so that leads me to believe I'm getting erronous info...

Example - This morning I unplugged at 0530 and by 0600 I was already at 70%. WTF??? Just did a soft reset and it now says 93%.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I guess I do ok, My day starts around 6:30am, I browse Weave for at least 20 min every morning (and this included 2 short videos), about 40 texts, 10 times checking email, 2 phone calls (under 2 min each), Push on exchange and hotmail scheduled to sync ever 30 min. It's 2pm here, my phone is still at 86% left... I AM on LTE at home and work with a strong signal.

I do make sure there is only 2-3 apps running in the background...I normally kill everything as soon as I install them...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss