Living with 920 Amber Update-Image Algorithms change,Battery Life Everything Here

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Hello Guys,

After Thinking and being confused about flashing my 920 with the Amber update, I finally Flashed it.
Almost had heart in my mouth,till my phone was back to life.

1st Change felt was that the phone was abit more responsive, quick. Not saying that it was slow before but a inch quick.
2- Battery Life I so far felt is much better than before,but its still early to talk about battery, will add about it later.
3- Glance screen is a boon, no need to touch the unlock button anymore. Glance Screen Turns Red if you keep time Limit.
4- Lumia Color Profiles make a bit of difference to the viewing experience colors can be molded as on AMOLED.
5- Finally RADIO is back, I listen to Indian Radio so it was a missing feature.
6- Nokia Smart cam is awesome, now need Nokia Pro Cam :wink:
7- New Camera Algorithms, had taken some pics Pre AMBER and Post AMBER update, sorry for the stupid environments, but it was late night.
The Higher ISO makes difference in the images with low lgiht,we get brighter images but higher the ISO, Noisier the Images are.
Look at some of the images i took.

1st Pic
Pre Amber
exposure 1/6 sec
ISO 640
View attachment 39441

Post Amber
exposure 1/4 sec
ISO 1000
View attachment 39442

2nd Pic
Pre Amber
exposure 1/10 sec
ISO 640
Old 2.jpg

Post Amber
exposure 1/10 sec
ISO 800
New 2.jpg

3rd Pic
Pre Amber
exposure 1/3 sec
ISO 800
Old 3.jpg

Post Amber
exposure 1/4 sec
ISO 1600
New 3.jpg

4th
Pre Amber
exposure 1/3 sec
ISO 800
Old 4.jpg

Post Amber
exposure 1/3 sec
ISO 2500
New 4.jpg

5th Macros
Pre Amber
exposure 1/8 sec
ISO 640
Old Macro.jpg

Post Amber
exposure 1/11 sec
ISO 800
Macro 1.jpg

Photos come out Sharper and detailed.
Also the Pictures we view now are of high resolution and can zoom in properly, not blurred like before.

Feel Free to comment, all these are night pics.

Last edited:

VinceGio

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have Amber and I feel your improvements as well!
I got Nokia Pro Cam.. And wow.. I can take pro pictures and pawn my friends who say that the Lumia Series suck.

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Amrut... where did you get the indian firmware. If you still have it with you... please share.. I also want to flash this update but I am unable to find the firmware. Thanks.

VisualD

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
The higher exposure and then a contrast boost, especially lowering of the shadows/blacks, looks way better to me. That's exactly how I work in Photoshop Lightroom when shooting at high ISO with my cameras as it lowers the need of hard noise reduction as it looks good anyway.

amrut_m

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
ahh, thx for the review.. cant wait for the OTA update....
i dnt wanna lose youtube app on my lumia :|

Was on the same boat as you, but could'nt resist having AMBER.

The higher exposure and then a contrast boost, especially lowering of the shadows/blacks, looks way better to me. That's exactly how I work in Photoshop Lightroom when shooting at high ISO with my cameras as it lowers the need of hard noise reduction as it looks good anyway.

your right bro, but i use proshot for most of the pics.
Rarely use the default cam for pictures.

Eagerly waiting for the Nokia Pro Cam

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
newbie question,

whats the benefit of having the Radio support if we have apps like TuneIn that already perform the job? Im just curious.

khunhorm

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
wont flashing void the warranty?

- If you flash it and it work, you still have your warranty.

- If you flash it and brick your phone, Nokia care will try to flash it again for you. If this works, you still have your warranty. If not, then your warranty is void.

This is according to a casual conversation with Nokia care rep in my country.

ssjmec

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I have Amber and I feel your improvements as well!
I got Nokia Pro Cam.. And wow.. I can take pro pictures and pawn my friends who say that the Lumia Series suck.

Hello, I also got the Nokia Pro Cam. One thing I notice is right after I take a photo, the 1sec preview of the photo shows perfect color of the image. But then after processing and presenting your final image, it seems to add a bit of yellow tint on the image. Does this also happen to you? It is much noticeable when taking photos with black color..

the_skyler

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I also got the Nokia Pro Cam. One thing I notice is right after I take a photo, the 1sec preview of the photo shows perfect color of the image. But then after processing and presenting your final image, it seems to add a bit of yellow tint on the image. Does this also happen to you? It is much noticeable when taking photos with black color..

I have been bothered by this since I first got my Lumia 920... it undoubtedly has to do with their compression algorithm. In my case I've always noticed a marked decrease in clarity (still great images, but its an alarming shift from that 1/2 sec preview to the saved image). The pause just seems a bit longer in Amber.

I've been hoping they would eventually allow us to save images pre-compression (if not RAW, at least something that reflects the image captured in that 1/2 second preview).

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Anyone here with EE in the UK that forced the update, can you tell me if Data Sense is enabled on the device? I've heard that if you hard reset after forcing the update, Data Sense works (at least on the ATIV)

Jealy666

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Anyone here with EE in the UK that forced the update, can you tell me if Data Sense is enabled on the device? I've heard that if you hard reset after forcing the update, Data Sense works (at least on the ATIV)

EE in the UK here, flashed with the French ROM yesterday and Data sense works. The device handles it, not sure on how accurate it'll be just yet.

Oh, and it made my automatic date & time work!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte