How Many Of You Guys Had To Pay The Upgrade Fee From AT&T?

• Thread starter Deleted member 199301
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 199301

I've been back to see the glorious black box that is the 1020 twice now. I've been fighting my corp AT&T store to keep my unlimited data and 200 message plan, and I believe I have that one solved, and their insane $40 fee to "upgrade". Anyone manage a way around it? I can justify the $299 but not the tax and the fee.

Stevens920

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
my kid used to work at an AT&T corp store and if memory serves me right, store personnel can't waive the upgrade fee. i can tell you for certain i have never paid the fee. after a few days, i call customer service and complain about the fee and they have always waived it for me.

Pas

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
my kid used to work at an AT&T corp store and if memory serves me right, store personnel can't waive the upgrade fee. i can tell you for certain i have never paid the fee. after a few days, i call customer service and complain about the fee and they have always waived it for me.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've been back to see the glorious black box that is the 1020 twice now. I've been fighting my corp AT&T store to keep my unlimited data and 200 message plan, and I believe I have that one solved, and their insane $40 fee to "upgrade". Anyone manage a way around it? I can justify the $299 but not the tax and the fee.

But it is a reasonable fee for the hard work required to switch which phone is associated with your account.....

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
Store personnel can't waive the upgrade fee unless its some special promotion going on. Its been a while since AT&T has done a waived upgrade fee promotion, so don't expect the store to help out much. What you can do though, is complain to customer service once you've done the upgrade. Usually, the customer service reps over the phone can be a bit more forgiving and they have a little more power in regards to upgrade fees.

I'm also not sure why you had to fight the AT&T store to keep those features. There is no reason why they should be trying to remove your unlimited data, as it is not a requirement for it to be removed for an upgrade. You get to keep that as long as you don't remove it yourself. It should simply carry over to your new phone. Same with the messaging package. I could never live on 200 messages though... lol. AT&T store shouldn't even care about the data plan since its not really unlimited anyway. Its all the same to them. Hell, I'd use that as ammo when arguing the upgrade fee. Tell them the store was not helpful and was trying to screw you out of your features when they shouldn't have.

In any case, the upgrade fee is mandatory (barring any special promotions). I paid it, the guy above me probably paid, and probably most of the world pays it, on every carrier. You could buy the phone at full price to avoid the upgrade fee if you really don't want to pay it... XD

But it is a reasonable fee for the hard work required to switch which phone is associated with your account.....

Totally reasonable, especially with the kind of crap that reps need to put up with... (joking, sorta, of course).

Last edited:

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Store personnel can't waive the upgrade fee unless its some special promotion going on. Its been a while since AT&T has done a waived upgrade fee promotion, so don't expect the store to help out much. What you can do though, is ***** to customer service once you've done the upgrade. Usually, the customer service reps over the phone can be a bit more forgiving and they have a little more power in regards to upgrade fees.

I'm also not sure why you had to fight the AT&T store to keep those features. There is no reason why they should be trying to remove your unlimited data, as it is not a requirement for it to be removed for an upgrade. You get to keep that as long as you don't remove it yourself. It should simply carry over to your new phone. Same with the messaging package. I could never live on 200 messages though... lol. AT&T store shouldn't even care about the data plan since its not really unlimited anyway. Its all the same to them. Hell, I'd use that as ammo when arguing the upgrade fee. Tell them the store was a total ***** and was trying to screw you out of your features when they shouldn't have.

In any case, the upgrade fee is mandatory (barring any special promotions). I paid it, the guy above me probably paid, and probably most of the world pays it, on every carrier. You could buy the phone at full price to avoid the upgrade fee if you really don't want to pay it... XD

Totally reasonable, especially with the kind of crap that reps need to put up with... (joking, sorta, of course).

I would pay $60 or maybe $70 to upgrade. They are doing you a major favor. Be thankful.....

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Customer Service is the only one that I know waives it.

I have a discount that is being applied to the account... I usually call and say how it was supposed to be waived and get it waived. I have never had an issue.

snguyen10

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
If you've been with AT&T for awhile you can almost always get the upgrade fee waived by calling customer service. Over the past 4 years I've never paid an upgrade fee on over 10 smartphone upgrades. Give it a shot! I never do any smooth talking, all I do is ask. It also works over live chat if you don't like calling.

D

Deleted member 199301

Interesting. Is there on online option to keep my plan when going through the AT&T website? Going the online route seems much nicer than stepping back in store.

prjkthack

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I would pay $60 or maybe $70 to upgrade. They are doing you a major favor. Be thankful.....

Eh? What? I was complaining from the perspective of a wireless rep since I am one... lol. I wish we'd get the upgrade fees in our paychecks for some of the crap that we have to put up with. Some customers. Haha. I would also never pay 60 or 70 to upgrade. That's an outrageous fee. As a rep, I'd feel absolutely terrible charging such a high fee. We're also, not doing anyone any favors with the upgrade fee. It requires a few clicks, typing in a few numbers, and then telling you that you need a case and a screen protector otherwise you'll destroy your phone. Not that I do that, but really, the reps aren't doing anyone any favors, they are simply doing their job. lol

Interesting. Is there on online option to keep my plan when going through the AT&T website? Going the online route seems much nicer than stepping back in store.

The website should also provide you with methods to keep your features/plan, but sometimes for older features they don't show up properly. Either call in and do the order over the phone with a live person, or go to a store and simply request a rep who knows what they are talking about. I promise, they exist. Most of them just have no idea what they are doing because the computer does most of the hand holding.

Eileen89

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Customer Service is the only one that I know waives it.

I have a discount that is being applied to the account... I usually call and say how it was supposed to be waived and get it waived. I have never had an issue.
Same here Duvi. Last 2 upgrades that I did, the fee was waived with one call to AT&T's premier customer support.

Eileen89

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Yes, there is. You can keep your plan as well as your features when you upgrade through AT&T's online website.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb