Does having a white background on the start screen really suck your battery's life way more?

themadpoet1

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I noticed if you choose a white background on this phone, it will tell you this phone isn't optimized for a white background, though I do like the way it looks. How much battery drainage do you think this phone has with a white background as opposed to a black one?

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I just did a simple test of having the screen on all black and all white for half hour each. First battery drain was 100 to 92, second was 92 to 85.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I noticed if you choose a white background on this phone, it will tell you this phone isn't optimized for a white background, though I do like the way it looks. How much battery drainage do you think this phone has with a white background as opposed to a black one?

Black on an AMOLED screen means the actual pixels are off, and therefore drawing no power. It's a really common battery saving trick for people with Samsung Android phones to use dark and mostly black themes to conserve battery (Samsung phones have been using AMOLED screens since at least the original Galaxy S).

It'll drain your battery faster, but considering MY Lumia easily makes it through the day you'll probably be fine. The only other thing to consider is AMOLED cells do have a finite life, and will dim over time. The white background will accelerate that process. I'll dig up my old Nexus and show you what I mean if you're interested.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Just use black or white... Even if white drained more battery it is a small margin only and should not be enough to compromise your choice. You wouldn't turn off all live tiles either amiright.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Just use black or white... Even if white drained more battery it is a small margin only and should not be enough to compromise your choice. You wouldn't turn off all live tiles either amiright.

I disagree. All my WP devices with AMOLED screens last noticeably longer when set to black.

It's not so much the start screen, but that many apps (where I spend most of my time) then show black text on a white background. That is the killer.

Black background with white text is also easier on the eyes.

Don't use the white theme on a device with an AMOLED display.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I just did a simple test of having the screen on all black and all white for half hour each. First battery drain was 100 to 92, second was 92 to 85.
That isnt the best way to test them. You may have more processes running in second half an hour in background. Also the most reliable battery readings are between 20-80% as the meter doesn't drop as quickly between 90-100%

Jason Drum

May 28, 2013
Visit site
That isnt the best way to test them. You may have more processes running in second half an hour in background. Also the most reliable battery readings are between 20-80% as the meter doesn't drop as quickly between 90-100%

Why's that? It was one after the other and the only thing happening was listening to iHeartRadio, and I didn't do anything except keep the screen lit. I'll give you the 20-80 comment, though.

StevePT

Jul 19, 2012
Visit site
Why's that? It was one after the other and the only thing happening was listening to iHeartRadio, and I didn't do anything except keep the screen lit. I'll give you the 20-80 comment, though.

Lithium-Ion batteries have a non-linear discharge rate. From a full charge the first portion of the battery discharge is very gradual and as it wears down the discharge rate increases. Also, as Rockstar said, you might have different apps that only refresh every 30 minutes or more so some of those apps might have only gone through their refresh process during one of your 30min tests and not both of them.

donebrasko

May 16, 2013
Visit site

is there an option to turn off live tiles? If so where? Mine are acting up, so I'm hoping if I turn them off and back on it will fix it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire