HTC 8X to 925 convert. Need a little help!

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
I recently (and luckly) dropped and broke the screen on my HTC 8X, and honestly im glad I did. Im on Tmobile and signed up for there protection plan that will replace your phone no matter what you do with it. When I contacted them for a replacement, they sadly informed me that they no longer have the 8x in stock, and would need to talk a substitute. They offered me some crappy Android phone, or the Lumia 925. Hell ya!

The 8x has a great form factor, but the soft coat they put on there polycarb is a liability. It gathers dirt from your pockets and peels off really easy. Horrible design!!! After a few months, my 8x looked like hell. Before my 8x, I had an HTC HD2 for over 3 years and not a single mark on it! What a difference. Plus, I have had the 8x for over 8 months and not a single update to the phone, and no real exclusive software. Then you look at the Nokia camp and see every week exclusive software and updates to fix issues. It was a no-brainer to jump that ship!!!

One of the things I quickly found out is the car charger I used on my 8x just fine, does NOT work on the 925? What should I specifically look for in a car charger for the 925?

Also, what sort of screen protectors do you guys recommend?

Im still trying to figure out if I want to make 3D printed cases like I did on the 920 or 8x, but it will cost me over $200 to do that and im not sure the level of interest. The charging back plate is already really nice.

Well anyways, its time to say good buy to my 8X...

DSC01508s.jpg

HTC. If you want your customers to support you, support your customers. You can have your phone back now.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Hey gibbage, welcome to the Lumia side! For in car holders I've heard the cr-200 is good. As for screen protectors most people use their screens makes, as screen protectors ruin the feel of the screen, but if you are set on one consider an Invisible shield.

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
I recently (and luckly) dropped and broke the screen on my HTC 8X, and honestly im glad I did. Im on Tmobile and signed up for there protection plan that will replace your phone no matter what you do with it. When I contacted them for a replacement, they sadly informed me that they no longer have the 8x in stock, and would need to talk a substitute. They offered me some crappy Android phone, or the Lumia 925. Hell ya!

The 8x has a great form factor, but the soft coat they put on there polycarb is a liability. It gathers dirt from your pockets and peels off really easy. Horrible design!!! After a few months, my 8x looked like hell. Before my 8x, I had an HTC HD2 for over 3 years and not a single mark on it! What a difference. Plus, I have had the 8x for over 8 months and not a single update to the phone, and no real exclusive software. Then you look at the Nokia camp and see every week exclusive software and updates to fix issues. It was a no-brainer to jump that ship!!!

One of the things I quickly found out is the car charger I used on my 8x just fine, does NOT work on the 925? What should I specifically look for in a car charger for the 925?

Also, what sort of screen protectors do you guys recommend?

Im still trying to figure out if I want to make 3D printed cases like I did on the 920 or 8x, but it will cost me over $200 to do that and im not sure the level of interest. The charging back plate is already really nice.

Well anyways, its time to say good buy to my 8X...

http://www.gibbageart.com/case/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/DSC01508s.jpg

HTC. If you want your customers to support you, support your customers. You can have your phone back now.

Hey Gibbage, welcome to Nokia!

Just to ask, will you be making cases for the Samsung ATIV S? It is pretty unsupported unlike Lumias and we would love a case like that

David Horn

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
Funnily enough I got burnt by HTC and their half-baked customer support with the Hero, and swore I'd never have another. Decided to give them another go with the 8X and it simply re-inforced the opinion that they don't really give a toss about existing customers. So I bought a 925 instead.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Hey Gibbage, welcome to Nokia!

Just to ask, will you be making cases for the Samsung ATIV S? It is pretty unsupported unlike Lumias and we would love a case like that

Only if someone can get me a 3d scan of the Ativ s. That would cost me over 200$ and that's not including the price of the phone!

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Only if someone can get me a 3d scan of the Ativ s. That would cost me over 200$ and that's not including the price of the phone!

ATIV S is getting cheaper by the day! You can get a dummy model to test it. May I ask, what is the process to create a new model case? Maybe a video? :D

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
The process of making a 3D printed case is rather simple, but first I need an accurate 3D model of the phone. The scan plus the demo phone will cost me around $200 and is the most difficult part. After that, I just build the case around the 3D model and print it out!

Thanks for the help. In the original post, I asked about a car charger. I don't need to mount it, just charge it. What should I look for in a car charger? My 8X one wont work.

RoscoeTenkoya

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Gibbage I was on the same boat as you...i had the 8x since February..seen that the 8x was suppose to get the GDR2 update...waited a week nothing..called HTC support they told me it was still in testing and it could be up to a month so since my sister was able to fully upgrade and the t-mobile reps said if you start the jump program you just pay the down price so I said..time to join the Lumia family and I think that the best idea I did after joining the WP7 os family

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans