[SOLUTION] LED Flash Does not work

FishirOne

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Hey WPCentral, after figuring out how to solve an issue I've had with my Lumia 920 i thought i would contribute to the community in case other people run into this problem.

My Nokia Lumia 920's LED flash stopped working one day. I don't know what the cause of the problem was but I noticed it when I was taking pictures. The flash wouldn't work. I tried installing Flashlight apps (several), but none of them worked. After a little bit of digging through the internet to find the problem, i found it to be a hardware problem and it should be sent to the nearest Nokia Care centre for replacement. Really, I was waiting for the next chance I got to go to the nokia centre to get it replaced. Then I was browsing these forums yesterday and reading about the Amber update. I really wanted to update but I was thinking why would I update if I'm just gonna get the phone replaced. Thankfully, I found the solution and it worked for me.

Anyways, here's how it's done (btw don't be afraid, i know i was, but it is a very very easy process 5-10 minutes tops):

The Problem
The problem is that the two prongs that connect the motherboard to the LED flash on do not touch the LED flash. You can verify this if you just open up a flashlight app (SOS on) and put pressure near the LED. If the flash works as you put pressure then the problem is the two prongs.
example:
Lumia 920 Faulty LED Light/Flash. - YouTube

The Solution
The solution is simple, we simply need to just bend the two prongs upwards so that they touch the LED metal base. That's it.

Things you'll need:
-Nokia Sim card Pin
-T5 Screwdriver (2 screws is all you need to unscrew)

Step 1: Disassembly
- Turn off the Phone
- Remove Sim Tray
- Remove the 2 T5 screws at the bottom of your phone
- Remove the back cover
Video Tutorial: Nokia Lumia 920 Disassembly & Assembly - Screen & Case Replacement - YouTube
Just follow the video until the 2:00 mark to see how to open the case. That was probably the most nerve racking part for me, popping open the case, but it's not that hard.

Step 2: Metal Prongs
- The two metal prongs are now visible. They are located right next to the camera section on the motherboard. I took the courtesy to highlight them for you guys :) ;
Metal Prongs.jpg
- These are the prongs we need to bend upwards, i did it using a mini flathead screwdriver. I just simply bent them upwards..

Step 3: Reassembly
- That's it, just pop the case back on to the screen, just make sure you got all the buttons lined up and pop it back into place.
- Screw in the two screws using your T5
- Pop in your sim tray and turn on your phone

LED should be working now, Try it on your flashlight app.

First and foremost is that you need to understand how simple it is, so much better than getting your entire phone replaced. It is a very simple process.

Hope that helps!

btw i had a question regarding the Amber update. I want to update my phone, but i'm a complete newbie to doing this. I live in Saudi Arabia atm, so if someone can link me a tutorial on how to update my phone to amber, it would be greatly appreciated!

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow. Awesome. But being the kind of person I am, videos like this make me want to open up my phone just to look around.

PrittStickFace

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I have exactly this fault. Thanks for posting the informative guide to fix it. I just need a T5 driver now! Got a T4, T6 & T7 but no T5, typical! :eek:rly:

FishirOne

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
I have exactly this fault. Thanks for posting the informative guide to fix it. I just need a T5 driver now! Got a T4, T6 & T7 but no T5, typical! :eek:rly:

I had the exact opposite, T9-T5 i was relieved that the last one happened to be the T5. You probably have the rest of my tools :p

A thing to note as well for anyone trying to do this, when popping the screen back in, make sure the volume rockers are working properly and not stiff. If they are stiff just re-adjust the case and pop it back in.

PrittStickFace

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Finally got my T5 driver and fixed it in less than 5 minutes. Thanks for posting, it saved me from sending it away for days!

Now i must stop dropping it or it will happen again!

rgig

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Ugh!!! I haven't pulled it apart yet but putting pressure on the case and bingo, the LED lit up. I will get the T5 and pull it open once I am back home and not traveling!

GREAT POST!!!!

rgig

Sep 23, 2013
Visit site
Works like a dream. Toughest part was finding a T5 and then pulling the case open. Like T Moore stated, start at the bottom.

Great thread!

Yakkob

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
excellent post. Shame i didn't find it yesterday. I have ordered a new oem housing. Still, its good to know i have to take it apart either way. And I'm glad it's this problem and not the inner workings.

2lalaland

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I want to say thank you for your informative thread! I have a 920 that the flash would work intermittently & this fixed it. Very easy to do & yes, nerve wrecking taking the back cover off. All is working great thanks to you.

ben jada

Jan 12, 2014
Visit site
Mine doesnt work if a press it, i live in Israel and nokia care doesnt exist here so...maybe i should try to replace the cover after i get a t5 but if i press it and doesnt make contact it seems is dead already...

Gautam Kabiraj

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks a lot man! I happen to have a Lumia 930. Yet your solution worked just fine for me. I was worried that I might
need to go visit Nokia Care but now I'm relieved! Thanks again!

durnoy

Oct 10, 2015
Visit site
Just fixed my Lumia 920 flash. Thank you!
Though in my case applying pressure wasn't making the flash work. As I saw later one of the prongs was too flat. All good now.

Pistolere

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Thanks mate, I have a Lumia 930 and same problem. Even easier to fix with the 930 as just removed the back of the case and prongs are there. Bent them up and away it went. Easy solution to a very annoying problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre