Easily Flash any Lumia 920 with full Amber/GDR2 features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

RushilPa

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to update any L920 to GDR2/Amber in 13 easy steps!

you can try it, but it might not work and you may get stuck on some other ROM. If you wanna try this, let us know if it works!
As far as I know, the Nokia Software Updater for Retail, wipes the phone clean and installs the update. So that would work don't you think? I just don't want to loose my warranty that's all lol :)

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

As far as I know, the Nokia Software Updater for Retail, wipes the phone clean and installs the update. So that would work don't you think? I just don't want to loose my warranty that's all lol :)

Where do you get nokia software updater for retail? I might try it. The way I see it though, both of these methods flash the phone, and something with at&t's ROM doesn't allow it to be flashed back from another ROM. I don't see why that world work over NCS.

RushilPa

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

Where do you get nokia software updater for retail? I might try it. The way I see it though, both of these methods flash the phone, and something with at&t's ROM doesn't allow it to be flashed back from another ROM. I don't see why that world work over NCS.
Here's the link nokia_software_updater_for_retail_3.0.8 - Download - 4shared - just connect your phone after its installed and open it up..

ZkT

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site

Had the issue. It has something to do with the drivers. When you plug your phone, you can see it connected in nokia care suite and it automatically disappears;

Unfortunately for you, I did not really try to solve the issue and flashed my phone with another computer.

After reading your reply I inmediately changed of computer and did the flash without problems. Thanks to you and Juan now i have Amber and an unbranded firmware.

Nimdock

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site

I'm really tempted to do this.

I am tired of waiting for AT&T to release an update with missing features anyway.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

After reading your reply I inmediately changed of computer and did the flash without problems. Thanks to you and Juan now i have Amber and an unbranded firmware.

cool man, enjoy!

Alex Rodriguez

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by RushilPa

I had a question. Suppose I used this procedure here to update my Lumia 920 to GDR2/Amber. Now my warranty is voided and like the OP mentions, no one has found a way to go back to the AT&T ROM. BUT What if I used the Nokia Software Updater for Retail to go back to AT&T stuff? will that workout? thank you :) Also will the warranty "return"? As in will the Nokia Care guys ever be able to tell if I had used a different rom (even if I went back to AT&T ROM using the Nokia Software Updater for Retail?) Please tell me if i'm getting anything wrong here. thanks!

you can try it, but it might not work and you may get stuck on some other ROM. If you wanna try this, let us know if it works!

This is what Nokia Software Updater shows when you connect an AT&T 920 updated with the Amber rm-821

Capture.PNG

It still shows warranty and the original product code wich in my case is a black AT&T Lumia 920
The type is showing rm-821 that's why it shows the error cause product code and type doesn't match and that's why Nokia Care Suite doesn't recognize the device when trying to revert back to AT&T.
There has to be a way to do it manually with Care Suite. This is only software. Everything is suppose to be the same on the phone. Maybe flashing the phone again with rm-821 but nenaming the files to rm-820 before the flash. I don't know. I don't have a spare phone to experiment.

Last edited:

RushilPa

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

Ugh, Nokia care suit/Product support tool detects rm-820 (rogers), but doesn't detect rm-821. Both of them are in the Products part of the folder. I have tried deleting and re-installing and stuff but it just doesn't detect it. What am I supposed to do :(

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Ugh, Nokia care suit/Product support tool detects rm-820 (rogers), but doesn't detect rm-821. Both of them are in the Products part of the folder. I have tried deleting and re-installing and stuff but it just doesn't detect it. What am I supposed to do :(

are both folders unzipped?

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

also, remember that you have to open product "RM-821" for it to recognize the French rom.

RushilPa

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

yeah, I extracted both in the products page, it recognizes rm-820 and show that its rogers. but doesn't show rm-821 to be present in the Products Support Tool. What do you mean by open? I mean I opened both the folders. RM-821 is still not showing up..

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
yeah, I extracted both in the products page, it recognizes rm-820 and show that its rogers. but doesn't show rm-821 to be present in the Products Support Tool. What do you mean by open? I mean I opened both the folders. RM-821 is still not showing up..

you have to click file, then open product, then type in rm-821. It should show a red Lumia.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

I've read through the entire thread but things have gotten very confusing over the last 4 or 5 pages. I have an AT&T L920 and I'm familiar with the flashing process but I just have a few comments:

1) I have downloaded the French Amber rom (RETAIL_eu_france_267) and the Euro Dev rom (RETAIL_eu_euro1_425). It is my understanding that both are Amber roms but the French rom is technically a global French rom and not a global English rom. It is also my understanding that the Euro Dev rom has all LTE bands unlocked and displays "L" instead of "4G".

Advantage: Euro Dev rom.

2) @juan6996, you first flashed using the Euro Dev rom in the beginning and you posted that you were able to sign-in with your MS ID and restore a backup using the Euro Dev rom. You then flashed the French rom and could not restore a backup due to wifi not being available in the beginning. It is my understanding that if I install the Euro Dev rom without installing the French rom, I will be able to restore a backup. I do not want to install everything manually as I have 6 email accounts, a crapload of sms and tons of apps!

Advantage: Euro Dev rom.

3) Tethering seems to be an issue. I have a AT&T mobile share plan which automatically includes tethering. I use this for my Surface RT and is a necessity. The majority have had success using the French rom and keyboard trick but has anyone successfully been able to tether using the Euro Dev rom?

Advantage: So far it's the French rom unless stated otherwise.

I think it's safe to assume that the Amber Euro Dev rom seems like the best rom to stick with unless tethering can not work.

juan6996 and everyone in this thread, thank you very much for all your efforts and experiences.

ivankan

Jul 17, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the guide! works perfectly :) I am using my NL920 unlocked on T-Mobile without any issues. The new Nokia camera app is really impressive... The only tip I would add to your guide is to install the Nokia PC Suite because it will install the USB drivers that were missing after flashing the rm-820 file. Otherwise thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs