Easily Flash any Lumia 920 with full Amber/GDR2 features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whonnocker

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to update any L920 to GDR2/Amber in 13 easy steps!

for example under my Nokia Music ....

MIX RADIO
mixes

nokia all access tour

featured / a la lune
artists rec / mixes de sta
canadian / canadien

does " Nokia Music " use a GPS or IP location service ( I am in Canada currently ) and therefore infer languare ( Canada being bi-lingual English / French )

also, and I guess this a question I should have asked before flashing ... do you think we will be able to upgrade in the future as well ? in other words, will this ROM be a one off ... un-upgradeble ?

As usual, thanks for your expertise ... we all appreciate it.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

Hmm, that's weird. Mine is in English, but I'm in the United States. Nokia Music does have a location service, used to locate "gigs" near you. You could try turning the location service off in the app settings. Also, do you have English in phone language under
language + region in settings? Alternatively, you could try reinstalling the app. Good luck.

As far as future OTA updates, I'm not 100% sure, but I'm fairly certain that we will receive OTA updates as soon as unbranded French Lumia 920s get them.

whonnocker

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site

I started this " journey " with a Rogers branded 920 .... do you think I could flash back ?

Again, thanks for your help.

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

I just installed the euro dev rom. I've been testing it all evening and it looks like tethering is a no go. I downloaded the Arabic keyboard which updated the rom and tethering worked fine for a few hours (I don't think it's the Spanish kb in particular that will trick it). I started testing my mms and realized it wasn't working so I played around with the apn settings. My mms started working but tethering stopped. I probably only tether my Surface twice or 3 times a month anyway when I'm out of WiFi range. I have 2 lines on a mobile share plan so tethering is actually provisioned for my account. I was also having some intermittent WiFi issues but it only happed a couple of times in the beginning and hasn't happened since. But I guess this is the price you pay for an unbranded global rom.

So far, GDR2 and Amber is turning into a really nice updates. Photos kick **** and Pro Cam and Smart Cam are very nice apps. Data sense is just great! I think I'm happy overall.

Big thanks to Juan for everything!

Tethering is not reliable for me with Euro and French ROM. It disconnects from time to time. I am getting drop calls very frequently that I never had before with stock AT&T ROM.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Tethering is not reliable for me with Euro and French ROM. It disconnects from time to time. I am getting drop calls very frequently that I never had before with stock AT&T ROM.

I'm sorry to hear that...

Forgetting the tethering issue, I'm actually quite happy with the Euro Dev rom! Boot up is extremely quick and, I doubt the radio firmware was changed, but I'm actually getting better service in areas where I wouldn't have any. The AT&T rom would always try to hold on to an LTE signal and it would be impossible to browse the web or use an app. Now the Euro Dev rom will switch more to H+ if it detects a weak LTE signal and actually make the phone usable.

There are supposedly newer updated Amber roms from Australia that are unbranded from this thread:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...0]-3049-0000-1330-xxxx-firmware-download.html

Australia uses different LTE bands so LTE may/may not work on AT&T phones. You can try to flash it to see if it helps you. Personally, I don't think you'd get any better results than the Euro Dev rom for now.

christopherbarran

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

want to thank juan6996 for the guide
it was a little tricky for me when you have to connect the phone and hold the power and volume down button. eventually i got it and the update went through very quickly.
booted up to a french screen, managed my way through that and got it to english. had to reinstall the apps and so on. i got some weird store error that turned out to be a few nokia apps that needed updates etc, and a few were longer available. it can be hard to figure out which app is which. one way through it is to long press on the app and share, and email yourself a link on the phone which then opens in the store and from there you can get the update. and by process of elimination you can delete/cancel the install for the apps no longer in the store, eg. Nokia QR and Nokia App social highlights.
i have flip to silence, glance, double tap to wake, the new camera apps installed etc and sms blocking. all in all a great update for the phone. seems to be a tad faster though that might be my imagination.

digitalicecream

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

want to thank juan6996 for the guide
it was a little tricky for me when you have to connect the phone and hold the power and volume down button. eventually i got it and the update went through very quickly.
booted up to a french screen, managed my way through that and got it to english. had to reinstall the apps and so on. i got some weird store error that turned out to be a few nokia apps that needed updates etc, and a few were longer available. it can be hard to figure out which app is which. one way through it is to long press on the app and share, and email yourself a link on the phone which then opens in the store and from there you can get the update. and by process of elimination you can delete/cancel the install for the apps no longer in the store, eg. Nokia QR and Nokia App social highlights.
i have flip to silence, glance, double tap to wake, the new camera apps installed etc and sms blocking. all in all a great update for the phone. seems to be a tad faster though that might be my imagination.

Another way to quickly reinstall apps is to do it from your computer on the web, Go to the store, and locate your "purchased" apps. then go down the line and click install on the ones you want back, they will queue and install on your phone almost immediately.

shindou26

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site

Trying using the AT&T/Canadian Dev Rom, 059R2L5. I am currently on it and have no problems with tethering and no dropped calls.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Trying using the AT&T/Canadian Dev Rom, 059R2L5. I am currently on it and have no problems with tethering and no dropped calls.

Are Data Sense and Call Blocking available on this rom and does it boot up with the AT&T globe splash screen?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Not sure about the pre-GDR2 Euro Dev ROM but the GDR2 version was a breeze, signal strength and data reception especially had vastly improved. No dropped calls whatsoever

Pheno.menon

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Will this work on t-mobile without any extra steps? I have the unlocked international version from Finland which only gets HSPA and not LTE.

Last edited:

abeinspace

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site

Has anyone else (I have an AT&T black, carrier unlocked) had any problems with peek not working? When I set Glance to 'peek,' it just never seems to disappear.

Carter L

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

So... After flashing the RM-820 rom, I go to the OTA updates and it keeps saying checking for updates.... It isn't finding the update, and I can't skip to 821 either. Running a Yellow lumia 920 with ATT.

Ravi Anand

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site

Ever since flashing this rom, my phones compass stopped working. Nokia city lens won't work. Any compass app downloaded from the net won't work. Can you check yours?

Last edited:

lukemholl

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site

Got fed up waiting and installed this! Went smoother than I expected... :-D
Would have done it sooner if I'd know it would let me restore from backup. Previously I needed to choose my data settings after it was setup before I could do anything!

shindou26

Mar 23, 2013
Visit site

Are Data Sense and Call Blocking available on this rom and does it boot up with the AT&T globe splash screen?

Data Sense and Call Blocking are available. There is no AT&T Splash screen when booting up. Also note that the manufacturer Name is RM-820_nam_canada_246.

dameon_03

Apr 12, 2012
Visit site

i searched this thread but did not find a clear answer. for att users, when they flash to gdr2 can they do a restore of their settings and apps and everything else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers