Easily Flash any Lumia 920 with full Amber/GDR2 features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to update any L920 to GDR2/Amber in 13 easy steps!

That's because LTE IS 4G. LTE is a 4G technology...in the same way that UMTS and HSPA are 3G technologies...

Well, if you want to get technical, LTE isn't truly 4G. The only true 4G standard is LTE-Advanced.

On a side not, I installed the AT&T Dev rom last night since a couple of people seem to have had success with it on AT&T devices. So far everything is just as smooth as the Euro Dev rom and I have my tethering back!!! YAY!! :cool:

Akash Shah2

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site

How do you flash the at&t dev rom? the same way as mentioned on the first page of the thread? or is there something different we have to do?

digitalicecream

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

Well, if you want to get technical, LTE isn't truly 4G. The only true 4G standard is LTE-Advanced.

On a side not, I installed the AT&T Dev rom last night since a couple of people seem to have had success with it on AT&T devices. So far everything is just as smooth as the Euro Dev rom and I have my tethering back!!! YAY!! :cool:

Do we just flash this over the 821 French ROM? do you get tap to wake/ flip for silence/ glance?

Last edited:

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

How do you flash the at&t dev rom? the same way as mentioned on the first page of the thread? or is there something different we have to do?

I'm thinking about flashing this rom as well and was wondering the same thing. Do we put it in the rm-821 folder (that we created for the French amber rom)??? Or what??

Need updated instructions for the new roms please!

captblaze

Jul 31, 2007
Visit site

I'm thinking about flashing this rom as well and was wondering the same thing. Do we put it in the rm-821 folder (that we created for the French amber rom)??? Or what??

Need updated instructions for the new roms please!

1. flash rogers pre portico
2. enable wifi and connect to a wifi network
3. wait for rogers ota update
4. accept and install ota update (you can now never go back to stock att usa)
5. update device from settings at least twice more
6. once you cant ota update anymore flash att dev rom
7. after flash during setup choose lte2 when setting access point
8. remember you now no longer have a device att usa supports

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site

1. flash rogers pre portico
2. enable wifi and connect to a wifi network
3. wait for rogers ota update
4. accept and install ota update (you can now never go back to stock att usa)
5. update device from settings at least twice more
6. once you cant ota update anymore flash att dev rom
7. after flash during setup choose lte2 when setting access point
8. remember you now no longer have a device att usa supports

LTE1 is working fine for me too on ATT Dev ROM. Was on phone for 2 hrs and another time for 30 mins with no dropped call. Very reliable just like stock ATT ROM. I used the Lumia 920 to tether to a PC and uploaded this AT&T Dev ROM :excited:
https://app.box.com/s/ltm0e44h1sobwstimydv

Last edited:

crav4speed

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site

Do we just flash this over the 821 French ROM? do you get tap to wake/ flip for silence/ glance?

Well, I was on the Euro Dev rom which is also RM-821 but I was able to flash right over it. Also, since the AT&T Dev rom is RM-820, make sure you open product for RM-820.

All the Amber features are there so no worries about that. Also, even though this is the AT&T Dev rom, it's actually a Canadian rom so there are settings like speech and regional format that you will have to change. Another downside is you won't be able to restore from a backup. I also went with the LTE 2 apn as opposed to LTE 1.

digitalicecream

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site

I'm on T-Mobile, the LTE settings were plugged in automagically on the French ROM. I don't have flip/tap/glance. am I missing something? do I need to do something to activate that?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Ed Boland

Retired Ambassador
Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

So, about the "can't restore from backup" after flashing the Canadian dev rom, wouldn't it sync all my contacts and such after I add my Microsoft account later?
What would I be losing by not being able to restore my backup? I mean, I know all my app purchases will still be tied to my ms account right?

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

To people that use the At&t Dev GDR2 ROM:
-Is network connectivity better?
-Does tethering work, even without a tethering plan?
-Does it have at&t branding?
-Overall, do you prefer it to the French rom on the OP?
-where can I download it?

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

So, about the "can't restore from backup" after flashing the Canadian dev rom, wouldn't it sync all my contacts and such after I add my Microsoft account later?
What would I be losing by not being able to restore my backup? I mean, I know all my app purchases will still be tied to my ms account right?

Basically, you would loose your app list + data, call history, and any photos/videos/music that aren't backed up elsewhere. After you sign in, you will restore text messages, contacts, email, calendar, and you can redownload any paid apps that you already bought, for free.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site

LTE1 is working fine for me too on ATT Dev ROM. Was on phone for 2 hrs and another time for 30 mins with no dropped call. Very reliable just like stock ATT ROM. I used the Lumia 920 to tether to a PC and uploaded this AT&T Dev ROM :excited:
https://app.box.com/s/ltm0e44h1sobwstimydv

Thanks, but it says that your Box is out of bandwidth. I typed in 059R2L5 into the Support Tool firmware downloader, and I'm downloading it now. I will test it, and if it works better than the French ROM, I'll replace the French ROM with the ATT Dev ROM on the Skydrive folder.

masaga91

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site

For those on T-mobile. I have followed these instructions and I'm seeing connectivity I did not see before. H, H+, G and 4G, as well as the infamous E. I'm hoping this ROM has awakened the fabled frequencies. My city does not have all of the towers updated to new LTE bands and as such I have a ton of dead spots. I'm going to go and test this around the city and will post an update to what I find.

Found:

E = 2G Edge
G = 3G?
4G= WTF?
H= 3.5G
H+ = 4G/HSPA+

In addition to the new bands, it looks like I have fast wireless charging. I also expect a faster battery drain with the added bands turned on and looking for signal. Excellent tradeoff.

Actually

G = GPRS (2.5G)
E = Edge (2.75G)
H = HSPA (3.5G)
H+ = HSPA+ (3.5G)
4G = 3.9G
LTE = LTE

mamoranto

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Thanks, but it says that your Box is out of bandwidth. I typed in 059R2L5 into the Support Tool firmware downloader, and I'm downloading it now. I will test it, and if it works better than the French ROM, I'll replace the French ROM with the ATT Dev ROM on the Skydrive folder.

I would like to know if your still have Data sense and Free tether. I have Euro Dev and have no issues except for the Kid's Corner max volume of 13.

christopherbarran

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

I flashed to the French ROM following the instructions here and I've had no problems. Internet sharing, data sense, everything just works. I did have the speech issue, but all I had to do was download the correct language and that was sorted out.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to update any L920 to GDR2/Amber in 12 easy steps!

August 28th update: Added fix for "no speech features". Also, looking into the att dev ROM as an alternative.

somubtech

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site

Juan, awesome job.
I thought about flashing and then backed off may be 10 times now.
I am getting impatient with AT&T, decided to flash my device. Since my other storage is also filled up, I think its a win-win to flash my phone now.

Does anyone has links to download AT&T dev ROM? Please pass it along. Thanks.

buddha747

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

I have been downloading as many ROMs from Nokia Care Suite as possible as i assume they will patch NCS to block us.

I uploaded my copies of the pre-portico Rogers ROM here:
Rogers - RM-820 - Pre-Portico - Yellow.zip (645.9 MB)​

And the ATT Dev ROM is here:
059R2L5 - RM-820 - ATT DEV Black.zip (659.1 MB)​

Standard disclaimer, whatever, not my fault if you mess your phone up, but it should work just fine

Anybody who has used the ATT Dev ROM I would love to hear how it is. I am an ATT user and am on the fence, mostly worried about connection/LTE bands, and if i could get updates in the future.

If anybody wants another ROM just comment and i'll upload it for you.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise