Easily Flash any Lumia 920 with full Amber/GDR2 features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to flash ATT Lumia 920 with amber

So yeah, its been over 5 weeks and the official update isn't out yet...
I am sitting here almost ready to click on the Start button in the first step. Everything is installed and in place. I don't think I can wait another 10days - damn ATT.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Do you think it will work on the 820?

This is specifically for the 920, not the 820 unfortunately. There's a freak chance it will work but DO NOT. IT WILL BREAK SOMETHING.

There might be something similar for the 820, but I wouldn't know.

My 920 arrived yesterday :D so I decided to go ahead with this. The gears of the Rogers ROM are going as I type :)

it finished some time ago, I am a happy panda now

Last edited:

Scienceguy Labs

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Recently bought an AT&T branded Lumia 520 off of Ebay. Just for fun, I followed the main points of the flashing instructions found at the start of this thread simply to remove the AT&T start-up screen. Worked like a charm. Flashed the Australian Country Variant. Took maybe 5 minutes. Thanks to this thread, I flashed my AT&T 920 and 520 with GDR2/Amber with no problems.

Thanks!

Rikr2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry about this, but I was an Iphone user now I am migrating to WP and I like it, but I still have some other mac stuff. I was wondering if I can flash my lumia 920 with a mac?:sweaty:

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm sorry about this, but I was an Iphone user now I am migrating to WP and I like it, but I still have some other mac stuff. I was wondering if I can flash my lumia 920 with a mac?:sweaty:

sorry man, you're gonna need a windows PC. Maybe you can do it on a virtual machine?

WarEagle1029

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys, I need some help. Before I am able to flash the ROM for the first time, I get the following error:

0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.MurzimProgrammingException: 0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.

at Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.RecoveryDialogModel.Flash()
at Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.RecoveryDialogModel.<HandleDownloadVariantPackageCompleted>b__8(Object state)

Any help on how to fix it? I also had issues with the files from Skydrive being corrupted, so I downloaded the firmware through the Product Support tool (059Q6W4).

Thanks!

Also: I am using a 920, in case someone asks

Edit: I got past this issue by re-extracting the file into the folder, and it worked. But now I have a bigger issue. While it was flashing, something failed and the flashing ended. When I turn my phone on, it flashes the rogers screen and and then the nokia screen at the top (not the normal screen) and stops there. When I try to re-flash, it says that it's fixing partitions, and freezes, then the following error comes up:

"DEV_REPORTED_ERROR_DURING_PROGRAMMING: 0x00030003
Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.MurzimProgrammingException: DEV_REPORTED_ERROR_DURING_PROGRAMMING: 0x00030003
at Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.RecoveryDialogModel.Flash()
at Nokia.CareSuite.PlugIns.MurzimRecovery.RecoveryDialog.RecoveryDialogModel.<HandleDownloadVariantPackageCompleted>b__8(Object state)"

Help?

Last edited:

sketchy9

Nov 13, 2010
Visit site
First of all, thanks for the write-up. I followed the instructions to the letter and got first the French ROM, and then the AT&T Dev ROM up and running on my AT&T-branded 920. I honestly don't see much of a difference between the two. My question has to do with future upgrades: I don't want to have to flash again to upgrade. In the first place, there's no guarantee that Nokia won't patch their system and disable the tool, so the ROMs might not even be available in the future. Second, it's a PITA to lose everything and have to set it up again. So the issue really is which ROM is most likely to get future updates OTA without the need for a manual flash? I would think the developer ROM would be the least likely to be in the upgrade path and that an official, "country variant" ROM would be the best bet. But why France? Is there another country that would be more likely to get updates first (say, Finland, the home of Nokia)? Any thoughts/speculation would be appreciated.

Also, I did all of this on a 2nd unit that's had some screen damage. As such it's an "experiment" phone. I'm going to try to go backwards to stock AT&T once I have time, maybe on Tuesday. I know there was one report that it was possible, and other reports that sort of came out and said it isn't, but nothing definitve IMO. So I'm going to try for myself and report back :)

-R

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Also, I did all of this on a 2nd unit that's had some screen damage. As such it's an "experiment" phone. I'm going to try to go backwards to stock AT&T once I have time, maybe on Tuesday. I know there was one report that it was possible, and other reports that sort of came out and said it isn't, but nothing definitve IMO. So I'm going to try for myself and report back :)

-R
Looking forward to your report. Here is the thread on XDA in which the OP claimed that you can go back to ATT stock rom. However, nobody in the same thread was able to confirm this. What we know is that when you flash your phone to pre-portico Rogers and don't do any OTAs you will be able to go back to ATT stock rom (see B) in schematic). However, any OTAs on the Rogers rom and it's irreversible and there is no way to go back (A) in schematic). Not even Sickler, recognized XDA developer, found a way to go back. Sickler and others note that once you are on Amber you can't even go back to pre-portico Rogers. But you should be able to switch back and forth between French Rogers and ATT dev as others have done (you just can't go back to stock ATT rom). Note that Sickler reports that Amber ROM for Rogers branded L920s are available now and that you can directly flash this after pre-portico Rogers.

Here is how I interpret everything I've seen so far (please correct me if there is something wrong here):
amber.jpg
As to your question about why French, or why ATT Dev I think it's anybody's guess. I'd say I would "feel better" with a ATT rom on my ATT phone. However Sickler went away from the ATT Dev rom because he seemed to have stability issues. Some say the French rom because it allows you to enable Internet Sharing with the Spanish keyboard trick even when you don't have the necessary ATT plan for this feature.Other than that if it's possible to flash another language one has be make sure that the bands match and that you don't loose LTE or 4G speeds.

Last edited:

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
Looking forward to your report. Here is the thread on XDA in which the OP claimed that you can go back to ATT stock rom. However, nobody in the same thread was able to confirm this. What we know is that when you flash your phone to pre-portico Rogers and don't do any OTAs you will be able to go back to ATT stock rom (see B) in schematic). However, any OTAs on the Rogers rom and it's irreversible and there is no way to go back (A) in schematic). Not even Sickler, recognized XDA developer, found a way to go back. But you should be able to switch back and forth between French and ATT dev as others have done (you just can't go back to stock ATT rom). Note that Sickler reports that Amber ROM for Rogers branded L920s are available now and that you can directly flash this after pre-portico Rogers.

Here is how I interpret everything I've seen so far (please correct me if there is something wrong here):
View attachment 43941
As to your question about why French, or why ATT Dev I think it's anybody's guess. I'd say I would "feel better" with a ATT rom on my ATT phone. However Sickler went away from the ATT Dev rom because he seemed to have stability issues. Some say the French rom because it allows you to enable Internet Sharing with the Spanish keyboard trick even when you don't have the necessary ATT plan for this feature.Other than that if it's possible to flash another language one has be make sure that the bands match and that you don't loose LTE or 4G speeds.

Yes, that looks right. Thanks for drawing it out!

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
First of all, thanks for the write-up. I followed the instructions to the letter and got first the French ROM, and then the AT&T Dev ROM up and running on my AT&T-branded 920. I honestly don't see much of a difference between the two. My question has to do with future upgrades: I don't want to have to flash again to upgrade. In the first place, there's no guarantee that Nokia won't patch their system and disable the tool, so the ROMs might not even be available in the future. Second, it's a PITA to lose everything and have to set it up again. So the issue really is which ROM is most likely to get future updates OTA without the need for a manual flash? I would think the developer ROM would be the least likely to be in the upgrade path and that an official, "country variant" ROM would be the best bet. But why France? Is there another country that would be more likely to get updates first (say, Finland, the home of Nokia)? Any thoughts/speculation would be appreciated.

-R

Thank you. Please let us know if you were able to go back to the stock At&t ROM.

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had to exchange my phone for a warranty issue. Missing GDR2 but it's not worth going through again with GDR3 and blue just around the corner.

Amazing AT&T still hasn't sent the update through. It will be October soon. I may have a 1520 with GDR 3 before they push GDR 2.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I had to exchange my phone for a warranty issue. Missing GDR2 but it's not worth going through again with GDR3 and blue just around the corner.

Amazing AT&T still hasn't sent the update through. It will be October soon. I may have a 1520 with GDR 3 before they push GDR 2.
so you had not any warranty claim issues when returning your phone without a proper ATT stock rom on it? that'd be comforting...

michail71

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Lol, didn't even think of that. I did tell the service reps in response to asking if I did a factory reset to address my issue (which was a failing microphone). They didn't seem to care about that. It is an AT&T rom, even if dev.

juan6996

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
And with GDR3 about a month and a half away, benefits of this "easy" (yeah, right) flash are not as apparent. This flash is NOT easy.

Well, the 41 people that liked the Tutorial post and 59 Thanks that I got from it, not to mention the numerous comments on this thread of people easily having success with it, say otherwise. If you think its too hard, or are just too lazy to do it, just ignore it. Also, the pros/cons of flashing are THOROUGHLY discussed in the introduction.

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
I suppose the only big question left to ask is this: What's so special about the French ROM? The RM-821 models have LTE bands 1, 3, 7, 8, and 20. The RM-820 has LTE bands 4 and 17. Does the ROM failing to account for this not matter? Is anything actually preferable about the French ROM (aside from being unbranded), or does any RM-821 ROM serve just as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bevitalglucopre