Easily Flash any Lumia 920 with full Amber/GDR2 features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
You need to create a folder within the C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages called Products. o the whole URL where you will place the RM files should read:

C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\Products

once you do this, your files will show up in the Nokia Care.
I have that folder there and I placed the rm-820 & the rm-821 folders there. They don't show up for me.

Shad0x64

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Worked flawlessly. One heads up for everyone, you literally only have to hold volume down until you feel the phone vibrate.

Lumina 920 USA ATT

Shad0x64

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'm missing something...probably something small and obvious.

I downloaded all three files, extracted the installer, ran it, then I copied over the "usergroupsconfiguration.cfg" to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Nokia\Nokia Care Suite\Product Support Tool For Store 5.0" (not that it seems to matter, as I'm having problems even when I use the default file).
I extracted both FW files to "C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages".

I open the "Nokia Care Suite" then open "Product Support Tool For Store 5.0", go offline, select "RM-820 (Nokia Lumia 920)" then go to "Programming -> Recovery" and the list is empty. If I click "Update list" it remains empty.

What am I doing wrong?

I did the same, make sure the folders in C:\ProgramData\Nokia\Packages\ contain the data and not another folder.

gdr2 package folder.png

Last edited:

TechAbstract

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Worked flawlessly. One heads up for everyone, you literally only have to hold volume down until you feel the phone vibrate.

Lumina 920 USA ATT

Lol, I don't even have to press volume down button, just press the Retry button on NCS on computer and it will boot up to flash mode. Currently using AT&T dev rom with tethering working, but I am looking for a way to get back to stock AT&T stock ROM. Prefer the radio on stock ROM.

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
While I'm no expert, I would think that the current carrier does not make a difference in its flashability.

I understand that, the OP said you cannot do a restore because of the need to get LTE. Im just wondering if since I am unlocked on Tmobile and not worried about ATT LTE, if I chance screwwing anything up by doing a restore

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Well, when in doubt, delete & restart. :p

I deleted the "Packages" folder in C:\ProgramData\Nokia then created Packages\Products and was able to install both ROMs without issue. I just finished restoring my settings on the French Amber ROM and am moving along now. Thanks for the guide, Juan!!!

So, if I want to enable tethering with AT&T I need to use LTE 2, but why the need for the Spanish keyboard?

Sinnisaris

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
OMG I just flashed my device using this method and WOW why did I wait so long to do this?! Works so well! Screw AT&T!

I flashed my AT&T Nokia Lumia 920 this afternoon using this guide, and it works perfectly. I can't believe I waited this long also. I got all the features working. I even have the Pro Cam app installed and working also (using Fiddler proxy method). Speeds are great, call quality is what it is supposed to be, no AT&T boot logo, etc. Thanks for the guide and more importantly, AT&T weren't able to decide what updates I am getting.

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I have that folder there and I placed the rm-820 & the rm-821 folders there. They don't show up for me.

Also note how your unzip it.

I used Alzip which I love, but chose for it to save to the folder. So I would up with rm-820\rm-820\files~ etc. In other words, an rm-xxx folder inside the rm-xxx folder. If that happens, just select all the files and move them up a level so they sit in the first rm-xxx folders. Funny how these little details are what will trip you up. There should be nothing unique about your PC or folder structure that should make them invisible to the program, provided they are exactly in the right spot.

Mark Richey

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
And I echo the others: This was relatively painless. The biggest thing is the anxiety every time it rebooted (LOL) and the pain of reinstalling apps. But to be honest, it has lead me to a much cleaner device, having left out the apps I really don't use, and due to the fact it jettisoned most my media files which were hogging so much space. I went from about 3.5GB available to 19.5GB even after moving a bunch of my cameral roll pics back from SkyDrive.

That is another great thing. With hardly any effort, having backed up all my messaging threads, contacts, etc. all populated in moments. My Family Room and my groups all intact. MS really is getting their act together in that regard. My Sim card was set up except for the Internet APN and Glance, which seems such a small thing, is actually quite cool. I have warmed nicely to double-tap to wake the device.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Lol, I don't even have to press volume down button, just press the Retry button on NCS on computer and it will boot up to flash mode. Currently using AT&T dev rom with tethering working, but I am looking for a way to get back to stock AT&T stock ROM. Prefer the radio on stock ROM.

have you considered switching to Rogers with Amber/GDR2? Snickler on XDA had issues with radio on the ATT dev as well (stability etc). Once he switched to Rogers all issues resolved.

Harwant Sethi

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Everything was going well for me until I went to download the OTA Update. The phone just searched endlessly to no avail. I'm using wifi with my cellular turned off. Any tips?

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Everything was going well for me until I went to download the OTA Update. The phone just searched endlessly to no avail. I'm using wifi with my cellular turned off. Any tips?
How long did you wait? I just did mine yesterday and it took literally half an hour before it said "There's an update available"...even though I went to settings and checked for updates myself.

Additionally, I didn't disable my cellular. I don't know that you need to do that.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
How long did you wait? I just did mine yesterday and it took literally half an hour before it said "There's an update available"...even though I went to settings and checked for updates myself.

Additionally, I didn't disable my cellular. I don't know that you need to do that.
indeed, it will take a looooooong time just as Juan explained in OP. Although it took only 15min on mine. It probably depends on your WiFi and your provider speeds. Also, when it "prepares" for the update it sat at least 10min on mine at 100% (in which time it would heat up quite a bit and drop and get 4G). Just be patient it will eventually keep going.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077