Easily Flash any Lumia 920 with full Amber/GDR2 features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
If I flash my 920 with amber, will I still automatically get the bittersweet shimmer update (GDR3) when it comes out, or will I have to manually flash for that as well?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
So here is how I did mine. My goal was to stay with RM-820 for now. I may eventually try the French rom with RM-821.
1) flashed with pre-portico Rogers rom following Juan's excellent guide.

2) after flashing pre-portico I wanted to follow Snicklers suggestion and flash the now available Rogers Amber/GDR2 directly to the pre-portico.
does not work and throws an error message about IDs. No way to do this. Then I did the OTA to portico
note: a) it took 15minutes before it found an update and proceeded. b) it sat at "preparing" at 100% for 10min . c) it sat at cog wheels for quite a long time as well.

3) then I was able to flash the Rogers/AmberGDR2 directly instead of doing OTA. It's fairly quick do get to Amber/GDR2 this way. You can download the Rogers Amber/GDR2 via Tools/ Firmware Download and then pick your color code
Code:
059R2L8 RM-820 VAR AMERICA CA ROGERS SL YELLOW
059R3R8 RM-820 VAR AMERICA CA ROGERSWIR SL RED
059Q6W4 RM-820 VAR AMERICA CA ROGERSWIR SL BLACK
059R6P3 RM-820 VAR AMERICA CA ROGERSWIRE SL WHIT

PS: it kind of feels liberating to see Rogers on boot :winktongue:

Last edited:

AMRooke

Aug 19, 2013
Visit site
It doesn't matter what carrier the phone is connected to (via SIM card), as I understand it, the phone's firmware ROM cannot be flashed back to the original AT&T ROM. I believe if somebody can find a copy of the AT&T ROM, it could be done, but I have not seen that yet.

FYI My reply didn't end up following comment #760 from "MikesChevelle"

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
It doesn't matter what carrier the phone is connected to (via SIM card), as I understand it, the phone's firmware ROM cannot be flashed back to the original AT&T ROM. I believe if somebody can find a copy of the AT&T ROM, it could be done, but I have not seen that yet.

I believe the ATT stock rom is available and a few have tried to flash it without luck after going to Amber. I know for sure that Snickler at XDA tried this and have read a few on here that had no success.
You should be able to download it from here:
http://www.mrcrab.net/Nokia-Product-Code.html
Here are product details for pre-portico ATT-US
059L848 RM-820 NDT AMERICA ATT Black. AT&T stock rom, Version 1232.5692.1314.0001

which you will find here:
http://www.mrcrab.net/Nokia-Product-Code.html?ProductCode=059L848

Last edited:

rickhan

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to flash ATT Lumia 920 with amber

I'm waiting until the end of September, then I will flash using these instructions.
If there is no word of the Amber update from ATT, then I believe that they plan to skip it, and probably gdr3 and 8.1.
Their track record points to delaying until the phone is no longer supported. That has happened to every WM or WP phone that I have had from them, and I have a stack of them (all still working, using a non-ATT ROM).

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: How to flash ATT Lumia 920 with amber

I'm waiting until the end of September, then I will flash using these instructions.
If there is no word of the Amber update from ATT, then I believe that they plan to skip it, and probably gdr3 and 8.1.
Their track record points to delaying until the phone is no longer supported. That has happened to every WM or WP phone that I have had from them, and I have a stack of them (all still working, using a non-ATT ROM).
good for you - you don't have to wait that long :winktongue:

Last edited:

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

I believe the ATT stock rom is available and a few have tried to flash it without luck after going to Amber. I know for sure that Snickler at XDA tried this and have read a few on here that had no success.
You should be able to download it from here:
http://www.mrcrab.net/Nokia-Product-Code.html
Here are product details for pre-portico ATT-US
059L848 RM-820 NDT AMERICA ATT Black. AT&T stock rom, Version 1232.5692.1314.0001

which you will find here:
http://www.mrcrab.net/Nokia-Product-Code.html?ProductCode=059L848

I dont need to worry about going back to an ATT ROM, I am just unclear where he says not to do a full restore because of messing up LTE. Being unlocked and on TMO I wasnt sure if this still applied to me. I want all my stuff back from a restore, but not at the cost of bricking the device.

"-You won't be able to restore a full backup (at least not on AT&T) if you flash this ROM due to the need to switch to LTE 2 through access point, which, like Wi-Fi (FIX THIS MICROSOFT!), doesn't pop up until after you're asked to sign in with your Live ID."

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If I am unlocked on TMO is there any point to flash the French ROM, am I to understand its for LTE support only??

I think it debrands the OS at least. I didn't want any branding on mine, Rogers included, and it all went away after flashing the French ROM.

anything else it changes?

Karan Bhutani

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
0xFA001304: Platform ID check fails. Reason(s): The FFU file is not meant for this product. The platform ID of image does not match with platform ID of the device.
I m getting the following error while flashing to rm-821 indian whilte..plz help

asiancuta

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
the flash went smoothly on my Asus Windows 8.0 laptop. :) I've learned from owning a Samsung Focus (wp7) that you can't trust AT&T to upgrade on time and rely on the sources at XDA. so after only owning the phone for a few weeks and it just being days before the end of the month and absolutely no change to the status, i flashed and thankfully to this tutorial, with ease. when you said a lonnnnnnggggggg time for the first ROM update, you weren't kidding lol.

I like the glance option, but after some toying with it, i don't find any real beneficial use except at night on the night stand. i do like the double-tap option of waking the phone. I still have to try to figure out/look up how to install Nokia Pro cam. i mainly just wanted the flashing/unbranding and updating to Amber to break free from AT&T's poor cycle of keeping us loyal customers happy.

month over due, but much appreciation for this tutorial.

loveleo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Re: How to update any L920 to GDR2/Amber in 13 easy steps!

For those on T-mobile. Found:
E = 2G Edge
G = 3G?
4G= WTF?
H= 3.5G
H+ = 4G/HSPA+
Flashed the french dev rom and updated. How is this compared to the att dev rom?

The T-mobile LTE is the default APN showed up when I inserted my t-mobile sim card (fast.t-mobile.com). I only see 2g, 3g, 4g to choose in cellular max speed setting,did not see H or H+, chose 4g and network selection was automatic, I always seem to have trouble to get phone call signal if I choose anything other than automatic in here (talking about before flashing). Before flashing I don't remember what setting I had in max speed. I was able to see t-mobile LTE at my location before the flas, now just 4g.

When I popped in my Lycamobile sim card, max speed setting only showed 2g, 3g. Have not tested speed since I am on a prepaid plan and do not want to waste data. Have not tried my ptel sim card.

I just found this: Now glance screen has a peek selection where when you hover your hand over, it will show glance, otherwise black. Should be better for the battery. I have a flip case, I noticed the clock turned on 1-2 seconds after I opened the cover. Now I can use it as a watch.

Everything else seemed to be working fine so far. Wondering if I should or could flash to the ATT dev rom which is rm-820, may work better for t-mobile LTE network.

digitalicecream, or Anyone else that is using an unlocked att lumia 920 on T-mobile or T-mobile MVNO, did you flash to att dev rom and how does it compare to this french dev rom? http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2425722 Thanks,

Last edited:

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Quick question, I followed through the instructions fully and selected the LTE 2 APN (ATT 920)
Should I ever see an LTE indicator? all I see is 4G. (pretty sure reception is not a problem outside my house

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Quick question, I followed through the instructions fully and selected the LTE 2 APN (ATT 920)
Should I ever see an LTE indicator? all I see is 4G. (pretty sure reception is not a problem outside my house

worked here on Rogers amber/gdr2. See lte where I used to see lte before. Seem to have better connection, but its probably just placebo.
If you are on the French Amber rom then 4G=LTE, if I remember correctly?

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Btw, I flashed to Rogers Amber/GDR2 after updating to Rogers portico. While I got a Rogers boot logo on pre and portico, I have no logo on Amber/GDR2 at all. Nokia, then windows. Should I expect a Rogers logo? All the details in settings show I am on latest Rogers rom. Ps...everything working great. No battery or connection issue.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
So, all seems well with my phone after the update, but when I'm using a set of headphones with the action button (play/pause music, answer/end calls) that the action button doesn't work. Anyone else have this? It could just be my headphones, but I'm travelling so I don't have another pair to try out. :/

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte