Easily Flash any Lumia 920 with full Amber/GDR2 features!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bryanstevecl

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I'm having a really tough time flashing my Lumia 920. I flashed my AT&T 920 to the portico (I think) ROM. It may have been the French ROM, not really sure. All I know is my device by default goes into a different language when it boots for the first time.

I'm trying to flash back to the AT&T firmware. So I downloaded the RM-820 firmware and created a folder in NCS called RM-821, and copied all of the files there so that NCS would read it, since it thinks I'm using an RM-821 now. However it says my software status is "Not Upgradable", and when hitting start, it gives me a message saying the recovery failed, unable to get error message.

You can always do what I did, flash the AT&T dev ROM. I also flashed to RM-821 and didn't know to go back to RM-820... Then I flashed the AT&T Dev Rom and it worked like a charm.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Just be aware that the att dev has little to do with att stock (in fact, the rom is labeled ...canada...). Also, it may not be the most stable rom according to posts at xda.

bryanstevecl

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Just be aware that the att dev has little to do with att stock (in fact, the rom is labeled ...canada...). Also, it may not be the most stable rom according to posts at xda.

Well I did not realize as I installed GDR3 inmidiately... So far, everything is working just fine. :)

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Well I did not realize as I installed GDR3 inmidiately... So far, everything is working just fine. :)
that is good to know, ymmv. Maybe the issues reported were a single incidence reported at xda. Specifically connection issues were mentioned that made the person switch away from that rom.

da1stprince

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
could you comment whether this would allow tethering on any plan, like the French rom, which lets you use tethering free even on a plan that you would have to pay for otherwise?

I'm not sure but before I did the keyboard fix, an error message came up and told me to dial 611. I did the keyboard trick and it permanently fixed the ability to use internet sharing even though it comes with my plan. I don't think it actually checks to see if your plan enables the feature because if it did why was I denied before the keyboard fix?

da1stprince

Oct 20, 2012
Visit site
starting access point isnt the problem, switching from lte2 is what kills ics

agreed, but why would you need to switch from LTE2 if you've already activated it? you only need to go into the access point app once and make your valid selection then verify if your mms and data still work, then do the keyboard fix and your good to go. I also updated the access point app and it did not affect internet sharing in any way.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure but before I did the keyboard fix, an error message came up and told me to dial 611. I did the keyboard trick and it permanently fixed the ability to use internet sharing even though it comes with my plan. I don't think it actually checks to see if your plan enables the feature because if it did why was I denied before the keyboard fix?
I am denied before and after keyboard fix on Rogers Amber. It gives me the 611 call message without the keyboard fix and even though it gives me no 611 message after keyboard fix it can never enable tethering. It does try but it never finishes and throws an error that it cannot connect. Others say that it works fine after keyboard fix on the French Amber rom even if you do not have a plan with tethering. Good to know there is another rom that allows tethering.

agreed, but why would you need to switch from LTE2 if you've already activated it? you only need to go into the access point app once and make your valid selection then verify if your mms and data still work, then do the keyboard fix and your good to go. I also updated the access point app and it did not affect internet sharing in any way.
if you travel switching may give you better connection on LTE1 (somebody here used this to get better connection but lost tethering function). Once you know that it will disable tethering until you hard reset makes it obvious of course not to fiddle with these settings.
I know that the ATT Amber rom checks that you have the correct plan. Doesn't matter if you use the keyboard fix or not.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
...if you travel switching may give you better connection on LTE1 (somebody here used this to get better connection but lost tethering function). Once you know that it will disable tethering until you hard reset makes it obvious of course not to fiddle with these settings.
I know that the ATT Amber rom checks that you have the correct plan. Doesn't matter if you use the keyboard fix or not.
Yes, this happened to me. I was in Las Vegas earlier this month and could not receive MMS/picture messages while on LTE 2. I switched to LTE 1 and I was able to retrieve them. Now that I am back in Cleveland, OH I can receive MMS/picture messages on LTE2.

el Jono

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I am on the French Amber rom but I can't seem to get nokia music it says not available or only supported for 800 by 400 screen. I had the app at first but seem to stop working so I deleted to try to re-install it and it is then I realize I could not re download it. Anyone encountered this problem ??

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I am on the French Amber rom but I can't seem to get nokia music it says not available or only supported for 800 by 400 screen. I had the app at first but seem to stop working so I deleted to try to re-install it and it is then I realize I could not re download it. Anyone encountered this problem ??

I know that people in some regions cannot download it. Did you check region and see if that helps if you change it, at least temporarily to US?
Also, you could try the proxy server route to download Nokia Music. (also, it makes it easier for others to help you if you specify where you are from and what device you have - I assume it's a L920, but the resolution message suggests you may have a different device .....)

click the thanks button if this helped.

Last edited:

el Jono

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I know that people in some regions cannot download it. Did you check region and see if that helps if you change it, at least temporarily to US?
Also, you could try the proxy server route to download Nokia Music. (also, it makes it easier for others to help you if you specify where you are from and what device you have - I assume it's a L920, but the resolution message suggests you may have a different device .....)

I Have a Lumia 920 from AT&T
in which i used this thread to flash to the French Amber rom successfully. But i have the Caribbean as my region as i am from Barbados so that may be why i have the issue.
Thanks

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Is it possible when flashing to rogers pre portico update to receive the ota amber update does anyone have the rogers amber file?
I am not sure if I understand this question. The pre-portico Rogers is in the original post by Juan. You have to do the OTA to portico otherwise you will not be able to go to gdr2 or gdr3 directly. Once you have the first set of OTA to get to portico you can then flash to Rogers Amber/gdr2 directly without OTA. See my post here. You can get the Rogers Amber/gdr2 through NCS as explained in my post. However, as said above, you cannot directly flash this over the pre-portico. You need to first OTA to portico.
cheers

and don't forget to click the thanks button.

You can bypass gdr2 and wait for gdr3
I would believe that he is here because he does not want to wait ;)

sddjd

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Quick question- updated via the directions in this thread (920), then to GDR3, etc.
Traveling within ATT's network in the US I'm getting the roaming icon (triangle). Is this related to the French ROM, Rogers, other?

Still no dice with tethering in any way; have plan but always returns call 611....

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Quick question- updated via the directions in this thread (920), then to GDR3, etc.
Traveling within ATT's network in the US I'm getting the roaming icon (triangle). Is this related to the French ROM, Rogers, other?

Still no dice with tethering in any way; have plan but always returns call 611....
never had this on my Rogers. Are you sure you have the region set to US? only guess I have.

PS. look at da1stprince post and here. he used a different rom and has no issues with tethering (Euro Australian/new Zealand 3049.000.1330.0006 (rm-821) rom)

Last edited:

el Jono

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I am not sure if I understand this question. The pre-portico Rogers is in the original post by Juan. You have to do the OTA to portico otherwise you will not be able to go to gdr2 or gdr3 directly. Once you have the first set of OTA to get to portico you can then flash to Rogers Amber/gdr2 directly without OTA. See my post here. You can get the Rogers Amber/gdr2 through NCS as explained in my post. However, as said above, you cannot directly flash this over the pre-portico. You need to first OTA to portico.
cheers

and don't forget to click the thanks button.

I would believe that he is here because he does not want to wait ;)

So what rom do u use may I ask French Rom or Rogers gdr2. I Have a slight issues with my French rom I no longer have the search for music option from my bing search and my apps are displaced alphabetically just wanted to know if this was consistent with the French rom.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
So what rom do u use may I ask French Rom or Rogers gdr2. I Have a slight issues with my French rom I no longer have the search for music option from my bing search and my apps are displaced alphabetically just wanted to know if this was consistent with the French rom.
Rogers. Your apps listed alphabetically has nothing to do with rom. Once you reached over 40apps this will turn on and it is permanent until you reset your phone (meaning even if you reduce the number of your apps below 40, alphabetical list will still be there). I let others with French roms reply to the music search. I don't have that problem.

CapnPauly

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I don't know if this has been addressed yet, and I don't want to go through five pages of comments (sorry for being lazy), but how will we get the GDR3 update if we have the French 821 ROM loaded? Would we need to wait for the Black firmware with it, or will we get it when it starts to be available by a specific carrier in France?

Just curious.

fiveaces01

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
Accomplished this awhile back,,,first started messing with my wp while waiting for 7.8. Got that done thanks to windowsphonehacker and the seven eighter. That convinced me I was capable of following instructions! Juan did a great job of telling us how to get the update and all it's features. I am on ATT and would never have gotten the Datasense and some of the other things they stripped. MANY THANKS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05