Unlocking internet tethering on Unlocked 1020?

nm7s9

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
When I was overseas (in Denver) I bought two pre paid sims. An AT&T sim (in my now lost Iphone 5) and a T-Mobile sim in my Lumia 920.
The T-Mobile sim tethered, no problems but the AT&T in the Iphone 5 refused to tether. I went back to the AT&T guy in Denver who said that I would have
to pay extra to get tethering. He also tried to tell me that the T-Mobile wouldn't tether but I just showed him the 920 with it working.

Therefore, if you have an AT&T sim then you will have to get a data plan that includes tethering, then it should work on either a locked or unlocked
If you have a T-Molibe sim, with any data plan then I think tethering should work on the unlocked 1020 if you have not fiddled with the network settings
and have downloaded Nokia access point and switched from/to a dummy access configuration.

I'm not sure about any of this, other peoples experiences seem to indicate that tethering on an AT&T branded 1020 is maybe not an exact science yet!
My successful tethering has always been against a 4G (as displayed on the 1020 screen) network. I don't know if an LTE network changes things a t all!

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
hi guys,
to tether your Lumia 1020 I tried the method with access point from Nokia.
Fantastic it works .
I bought an ATT lumia 1020 in States and I am using it in the UK.My internet sharing didnt work until 1 hour ago.
Follow the easy steps.
download ACCESS POINT from NOKIA.[the app will disappear into your settings]
open it
select your server ,for example my is 3
hold to finger on it to expand the menu
tap "view"
go to internet sharing and put it on
it should work
and that's it !!!
it worked for me .
many thanks to BOSELEITER for pointing out the link to access point
follow the link /punto de acceso | Tienda de aplicaciones y juegos de Windows Phone (Chile)

Siddhartha Zuga

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I want to tell u how to unlock Lumia 1020 AT&T or any operator sharing internet, the only thing u need to do is

1.- You need to configure ur Nokia Lumia 1020 AT&T in USA COUNTRY, and this is in Settings, Language+Country and there in Country Select UNITED STATES, and behind u will see a bottom that says: Needs to Restart, u will need to restart it.

2.- Go to Market and search this app: access point
access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

3.- You can install app froms USA, like Pandora too.

4.- When finished now u can change your country ( for example, im from Mexico) and restart again (if ur from USA dont do this step)

5.- At last u need to go SETTINGS and search ACCESS POINT (Punto de acceso en espanol) and u need to configure ur DATA SETTINGs and MMS settings for ur operator (APN TELCEL, ROGERS, T-Mobile, etc..)

6.- When u finished u need to ACTIVATE that profile

7.- At last the only thing u need to do is to go to Tethered Wifi or Conexion Compartida and activate it, this is a thing u need to see:

When u activate Tethered, i will see how many persons can connect to ur Nokia Lumia 1020, if says 5 persons, u hav AT&T locked and u will not share ur internet, BUT if says 8 persons, congratulations!! u unlocked tethered connection!!!

And thats all! i do it with my Nokia Lumia 1020 At&t and im from Monterrey and works!!!

if u need help just send me an email: sidemzuga@hotmail.com

See ya!

Siddhartha Zuga

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi! I want to tell u how to unlock Lumia 1020 AT&T sharing internet, the only thing u need to do is

1.- You need to configure ur Nokia Lumia 1020 AT&T in USA COUNTRY, and this is in Settings, Language+Country and there in Contry Select UNITED STATES, and behind u will see a bottom that says: Needs to Restart, u will need to restart it.

2.- Go to Market and search this app: access point
access point | Windows Phone Apps+Games Store (United States)

3.- You can install app froms USA, like Pandora too.

4.- When finished now u can change your country ( for example, im from Mexico) and restart again (if ur from USA dont do this step)

5.- At last u need to go SETTINGS and search ACCESS POINT (Punto de acceso en espanol) and u need to configure ur DATA SETTINGs and MMS settings for ur operator (APN TELCEL, ROGERS, T-Mobile, etc..)

6.- When u finished u need to ACTIVATE that profile

7.- At last the only thing u need to do is to go to Tethered Wifi or Conexion Compartida and activate it, this is a thing u need to see:

When u activate Tethered, i will see how many persons can connect to ur Nokia Lumia 1020, if says 5 persons, u hav AT&T locked and u will not share ur internet, BUT if says 8 persons, congratulations!! u unlocked tethered connection!!!

And thats all! i do it with my Nokia Lumia 1020 At&t and im from Monterrey and works!!!

if u need help just send me an email: sidemzuga@hotmail.com

See ya!

Hello all. First post. Woohoo.

I've attempted all that has been posted here for attempting to get a formerly AT&T phone onto Bell Mobility. (Canada). No luck. Bell blames AT&T and vice versa.

That said, my question is this; I tried the link (a few posts above) to get to the Access Point app from Nokia. It's there, I download/install it, but it is mystically missing from my apps list. Any clues?

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My phone was unlocked, I mean , unlocked to share WiFi.
Just discovered that after the developer gdr3 update that I did that I can't share anything. I appears a message for me to call att 611.
And it was working before, even in this thread I talked about this....

Flavio76

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
My phone was unlocked, I mean , unlocked to share WiFi.
Just discovered that after the developer gdr3 update that I did that I can't share anything. I appears a message for me to call att 611.
And it was working before, even in this thread I talked about this....

When I came back to my country, tethering came as a option again, so this only happens when I'm abroad

ranger604

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
As I write this post, I'm actively tethered to my Nokia 1020. So, clearly, I've come to some sort of level of success.

I'm going to hold off on calling this 'solved' due to the fact that I had it working at one point, then it failed again.

I'll test for the next few days, and then detail out all the various bits-and-pieces i used to pull this together..

ranger604

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Ok. Bottom line, I now have the ability to share my internet connection. It's a solution that I'd call a "workaround" that will hopefully be addressed by an update from Nokia/Microsoft. Here's some of my findings and theories I've debunked along the way;

*** Please note, these findings are merely for MY problem with my Lumia 1020 on Bell network coming from AT&T ***

Access Point: By installing Access Point, it immediately renders MMS (specifically sending a picture through txt) useless. It rejects it every time. So, you'll need
to ignore the settings that are pre-installed by Bell and create a new configuration within Access Point and use those settings before MMS will work again. You can get
those setting from Bell's website. The upside of installing Access Point is that it transitions your phone out of this pseudo-locked state from AT&T. You can tell this by
the number of connections allowed switches from 5 (AT&T) to 8 (unlocked).

Internet Sharing Only Works by Using ##DATA#: I learned this from one of the posts in this thread showing a link to a YouTube vid. I found that the ONLY way I can
get this to function is to go into "field test mode" by going to the phone keypad and dialing ##DATA#. From there, (after hitting 'accept') you hit the "..." in the bottom right and select 'settings'. When you change your "Network type" to 2G, wait for it to switch, then without leaving the settings page switch it back to 'automatic', you are now
able to successfully turn on your "Internet Sharing". I believe that on the Lumia 920(?) this was/is a function available to you without having to go into ##DATA#, but then again, I'm not sure that 920's had this issue.

Needing to Switch Your Country to United States: I managed to get Internet Sharing to work for both "Canada" and "United States". I'm going to call this step unnecessary.

Needing to Switch your Bell Settings to "inet.bell.ca" rather than "pda.bell.ca": I tried both. Both work.

One thing that I'd like to have confirmed by others: Once Internet Sharing is turned on, I can't get a data connection the the device itself, only on the devices connected
via sharing. (ie; my iPad can surf the net when the Lumia is sharing, but i can't surf the net on the Lumia itself). I don't know if this should be considered 'normal', or if
is just (yet another) setting that i've missed. My boat-anchor Gingerbread Android is capable of sharing the connection while still maintaining it's own data connection.

Thoughts?

Heb Man

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm normally a consumer not a publisher - but this is just too exciting not to share...

What Ranger said above WORKS!

I have a AT&T Lumia 1020 that I'm using in New Zealand. The only steps I took were to install the Access Point software (changes the guests from 5 to 8 but didn't fix the problem) and went in to the "field test mode" via ##DATA# and adjusted to 2G and back to automatic without leaving the screen - immediately afterwared (no reboot required or any other trickery) and the internet connection sharing just worked!

It's not clear whether the field test mode on its own would have fixed the problem, but the access point software is easy to find and install.

Awesome thanks!

ranger604

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Update: my internet sharing works consistently now without the use of the ##DATA# maneuver. The reason?.. I needed to go back into the stock Nokia settings menu, find the 'cellular' settings, and delete whatever internet/MMS references that were there as they compete with those established by using Access Point.

Side note: I've found that if I don't manually disable my wi-fi prior to turning on Internet Sharing, I end up having to reboot the phone due to hanging.

Youie1966

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Ranger, I'm really pleased for you.

I start my journey now. I have read the entire 8 pages but really not getting anywhere. My situation:

1. I live in NZ
2. I am connected to Telecom
3. I have an unlocked Nokia Lumia 1020 (ex-ATT) and out of contract.
4. I simply can't tether my laptop to the Lumia 1020 which is as frustrating as anything.

I have tried installing the holy grail of applications, it seems, Access Point but can't find it at all.

Can someone be patient and kind enough to help me through this? All I want for Christmas is my tethering to work! :)

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

trooters

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

pholad

Jan 27, 2014
Visit site
INTERNET SHARING ON ANY NOKIA LUMIA!!!!!
READ the Story FIRST
purchased Lumia 1520 and using it with Bell mobility (Canada)
When I first downloaded the Access point it worked and as soon as I updated the SETTING (network +) it stopped working and that happens when new keyboard or any other sitting related apps is updated and there is no way to un install the access point in order to install it again to fix the issue, which it does fix the internet sharing issues and I have done it by hard resetting THE PHONE WHICH IS A BIG HEADACHE

Now to all those have internet tethering issue please follow these instructions to fix the issue

Instructions :

1- Take out your sim card and turn the phone off
2 - put a new sim. Card from a different phone services provider.
3- turn the phone on and go the phone setting and open the Access Point, as soon as you open it you see the new sim card is active.
4- Restart your phone and take out the sim card and turn the phone off
And remove the sim card and Now put your sim card and turn on your phone and gain go to the Setting and open the Access Point then you will see your sim card is active.
5- Restart your phone and enjoy your Internet tethering.
REMEMBER!!!!!!
If The next SETTING Update ruins it then you can follow the instructions again and it will fix it again )

Sonic98

May 3, 2013
Visit site
I'll gave to try this with my 520. I'll get a SIM from a carrier that doesn't block wi-fi tethering and try this.

INTERNET SHARING ON ANY NOKIA LUMIA!!!!!
READ the Story FIRST
purchased Lumia 1520 and using it with Bell mobility (Canada)
When I first downloaded the Access point it worked and as soon as I updated the SETTING (network +) it stopped working and that happens when new keyboard or any other sitting related apps is updated and there is no way to un install the access point in order to install it again to fix the issue, which it does fix the internet sharing issues and I have done it by hard resetting THE PHONE WHICH IS A BIG HEADACHE

Now to all those have internet tethering issue please follow these instructions to fix the issue

Instructions :

1- Take out your sim card and turn the phone off
2 - put a new sim. Card from a different phone services provider.
3- turn the phone on and go the phone setting and open the Access Point, as soon as you open it you see the new sim card is active.
4- Restart your phone and take out the sim card and turn the phone off
And remove the sim card and Now put your sim card and turn on your phone and gain go to the Setting and open the Access Point then you will see your sim card is active.
5- Restart your phone and enjoy your Internet tethering.
REMEMBER!!!!!!
If The next SETTING Update ruins it then you can follow the instructions again and it will fix it again )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos