WIND Canada users: Euro Dev Amber/GDR2 on Rogers 920 results

benjaminries

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
For those using an unlocked Rogers Lumia 920 device on WIND Mobile (or other AWS 3G carriers): I can report that flashing the Amber/GDR2 euro dev ROM (http://forums.windowscentral.com/no...ldnt-download-amber-euro-dev-rom-059r4h6.html) using NCS offers great results.

Tested working on this ROM so far:
  • AWS band for 3G
  • HSPA+ 3.5G data speed bump (introduced in the Rogers 1314 ROM)
  • all LTE bands appear to be preserved (Rogers, Bell and Telus all show 3G, 4G in scan)
  • AutoDataConfig (ADC) works, reads APN settings from SIM and connects to data service at first boot (before you even launch Access Point)
  • DataSense! (so much for that "on select carriers only" crap - I really doubt that WIND has done anything to enable this, and they shouldn't have to)
  • FM radio (though it is stuck on Euro settings with no way to switch to North America - which just means it tunes every 0.1 KHz, rather than every 0.2 KHz - you can still get all the NA stations this way of course)
  • Nokia 2013 sounds (updated ringtone, alarm, email and SMS sounds)
  • Glance and double-tap screen to turn on power
  • Customizeable camera app launching with hardware key
  • Google/Gmail email, contact and calendar sync with IMAP/CardDAV/CalDAV, not ActiveSync (sadly, MS did not implement IMAP Push so most frequent check is every 15 minutes)

Some things for you to do:

If you're running the 1314 firmware from Rogers, you could always wait until they push their own Amber/GDR2 OTA update, and keep all your apps/settings. But some features, like DataSense, might only work with a clean install anyway. If you were thinking about jumping to Amber now, hopefully the above info is helpful. Same goes for TMO-US users.

Tip for reinstalling all your apps easily:

1. Plug your phone into the charger.
  2. Turn on WiFi (make sure you don't have a proxy turned on anymore from installing Pro Cam, etc.), go to Advanced in WiFi and check "Keep WiFi on when the screen times out".
  3. Open the Store on your phone.
  4. Go to your computer browser and visit https://www.windowsphone.com/en-ca/my/purchase-history
  5. There should be reinstall links on the right-hand side of the screen. If your phone is connected and sitting at the Store screen, you should be able to just click "Reinstall" next to each app listed in your PC's browser and push all your apps back to your phone at once.
  6. With minimal lag, you'll eventually see all the apps installing in sequence on your phone, i.e. "34 downloads in progress" or whatever.
  7. Leave the phone plugged into the charger, and go to bed. When you wake up, all your apps are back on the phone.

Now you just have to go into each app and configure, sign in, etc. I finished this over coffee this morning, and so far my 920 seems to be running faster and better than ever.

Last edited:

MyThIc3LiTe

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
You sir, are a hero. Thank you for this.

Edit: just installed it, had some issue with getting it to start recovery but it is going well now. Just restored my settings, will confirm that data and all still work just fine.

Edit 2: Everything looks peachy so far. Honestly it was a matter of time before I started flashing firmware on my own, glad that I finally started doing it.

Data works fine, accounts are working fine, just gotta set most of the things back up and I'll be good to do.

wp_ss_20130811_0004.png

wp_ss_20130811_0002.png

wp_ss_20130811_0003.png

wp_ss_20130811_0005.png

wp_ss_20130811_0006.png

Last edited:

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Any updates from people who installed this ROM on their Rogers L920 would greatly be appreciated.

Is it still running smoothly for you guys?

All the bands working properly?

Is battery life improved?

Any issues at all?

THANKS!

benjaminries

Apr 9, 2009
Visit site
Any updates from people who installed this ROM on their Rogers L920 would greatly be appreciated.

Is it still running smoothly for you guys?

All the bands working properly?

Is battery life improved?

Any issues at all?

THANKS!

Still running fine. On WIND Canada (AWS), 3G/HSPA+ isn't what it should be, but never has been - at least we gained the HSPA+ speeds in the 1314 ROM, but still, speed tests suggest between 30% and 40% packet loss. That is consistent with other reports on this forum that suggest the 920 generally is stellar on LTE, while not as fast as some Android handsets on 3G.

No crashes for me, battery life seems just as good or better (and I'm using the glance/peek function). Updated details that I'll put in the first post: FM radio working (though it uses Euro settings), and with today's HERE Maps update, my compass inaccuracy issues are fixed. Also, the Nokia 2013 sounds (ringtone, email, text, alarm) are built into this ROM.

h_portal

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I want to update my AT&T 920, but I am not sure what would happen if some update appears in the future and I update the phone via OTA or with some standar ROM as it may need some special ROM like this one. Any ideas? Can we go back to stock AT&T ROM safely?

jojapath

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody actually been able to get this pushed out on their unlocked phone?

I was tired of waiting for the OTA update so I flashed my unlocked Rogers phone with it (Euro DEV ROM) and it was working smoothly. No problems with it.

When Rogers pushed out the Amber update, I just flashed my phone back to the Rogers firmware. So now, I'm on the Rogers Amber firmware...

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Is the Rogers 920 the same as the 920 Developer Build in the US? I got one from the Developer Build last year.

Manufacturer Name: RM-820_nam_canada_246.

I am getting annoyed and restless that an unlocked version is seemingly getting this Amber update last.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T dev phone firmware is on NCS if you don't mind flashing. Its the same as the Canadian software

Will I lose the AWS 1700 band for TMobile-US? I am using this 920 Developer Build with Tmobile, and get very good HSPA+. Does the ATT dev version have the same functions as the Euro dev version?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Will I lose the AWS 1700 band for TMobile-US? I am using this 920 Developer Build with Tmobile, and get very good HSPA+. Does the ATT dev version have the same functions as the Euro dev version?
you know, I'm not 100% sure as I only saw it when trying to flash my sisters new 920 to use in the UK (wanted to go to the Euro dev ROM to enable AWS 3g but my computer acted up). As I understood it, if you flashed an att 920 to euro dev, then to Rogers 920 rom it would work, and since the AT&T dev rom is the same as the Rogers dev rom, I would imagine it should keep the bands (the att dev ffu actually says CA instead US). I'm in a refarmed area so I don't think I would have been able to test anyway

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

Your best bet is to flash the Rogers 920 ROM, unbranded (well kinda since they removed the splash screen from boot), preserves AWS, and you will get updates when released.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Your best bet is to flash the Rogers 920 ROM, unbranded (well kinda since they removed the splash screen from boot), preserves AWS, and you will get updates when released.

I will probably do that. I have been browsing this forum for about 90 min, but the process to Rogers GDR2 isn't very obvious. One thread says there's no GDR2 ROM for Rogers yet from NCS. Do I need to install pre-Portico Roger, update to Roger Portico OTA, and then wait for the GDR2 OTA notification?

How do I go directly to Rogers GDR2?

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Rogers 920 GDR2 is available on NCS so you can flash it directly using the refurbish method, for flashing instructions refer to the sticky on the 920 section

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Rogers 920 GDR2 is available on NCS so you can flash it directly using the refurbish method, for flashing instructions refer to the sticky on the 920 section

I connected the phone with the NCS installed and put it into Refurbished mode. Clicking on the "Firmware download" option presents me with:

Product Code: 059R2L5
Variant name: RM-820 ATT DEVELOPER DEVICE BLK
Software version: 3047.0000.1326.2001
Estimated size: 1.31 GB / 1.31 GB

Honestly, seeing the word ATT gives me the shiver from losing the AWS band. Is this the same as the Rogers' GDR2? What's the product of Roger's GDR2? Thanks!

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I connected the phone with the NCS installed and put it into Refurbished mode. Clicking on the "Firmware download" option presents me with:

Product Code: 059R2L5
Variant name: RM-820 ATT DEVELOPER DEVICE BLK
Software version: 3047.0000.1326.2001
Estimated size: 1.31 GB / 1.31 GB

Honestly, seeing the word ATT gives me the shiver from losing the AWS band. Is this the same as the Rogers' GDR2? What's the product of Roger's GDR2? Thanks!

I took the risk and just downloaded the info NCS suggested above. The download took awhile but the flash took like 10 min or so for it to reboot. It now has Amber with the Manufacturer Name of RM-820_nam_canada_246 (same as before). I notice the data connection goes to H+ and L when I use data. I have not confirmed if H+ is with AWS or the 1900 re-framed band. More testing tomorrow...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb