Which Lumia is the best and why?

cyrus_the_great

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Hello fellas,
I might get a new phone in the next couple of days. I think I might choose between Lumia 920, 925, 928 and 1020, but the problem is: I don't know which one to choose! I want an unlocked version, and unlocked 1020's price was high on amazon.
What do you guys think? Which one is the best between these three? and How good is It compared to other WP phones from Nokia and HTC?
Thanks

Last edited:

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
IMO 925 - design, weight, looks, amoled, GDR2 and amber , a camera which is a teeny bit better

I have a 920 BTW. Nokia is better than HTC in windows phone realm since the apps and support they provide is excellent. They have put everything into windows phone and are working on making it better everyday, so I guess I would stick with Nokia right now.

Last edited:

Christopher Plieger

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Best if you want wireless charging is 928. If you prefer a slim phone w/o wireless charging 925. 920 only if you prefer att. Unless the design appeals to you of course.

If you can and want get the 1020. Unless you really want wireless charging.

Note: you can get covers for the 925 and 1020 but meh... You'll drop 100$ more for the cover and charging plate to just charge wirelessly.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
You best do some more research on your own OP. There are some significant differences between those phones. You may end up with a nice, shiny paperweight.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
928 if you want Verizon. 1020 if you are on ATT. 925 if you're on TMO. 920 if you're on ATT and want a weapon..... See? The question is all up to what you want. Oh, and there are more variables than what I've thrown at you. :wink:

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I assume you are in the US. If so, the carrier that is best in your area is just as important as the phone selection. I would speak to a Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile user to get an idea as to which had the best local signal. Good phone, bad signal, bad decision.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I assume you are in the US. If so, the carrier that is best in your area is just as important as the phone selection. I would speak to a Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile user to get an idea as to which had the best local signal. Good phone, bad signal, bad decision.

Yea, talk to a user, NOT A PHONE REP. If coverage is most important, get a pre-paid phone from the company you are interested, live with it for a month, see if your selected carrier has coverage where you live/work...

Verizon in the US is great in most areas, crap I get 5 bars of LTE at my home, an area where Comcast had only 8 HD channels (besides locals) till about 6 months ago...

All the phones have their perks... and for all the cracking done here on HTC, I had a HTC 8X for a while and if it had more memory (16gb) I would not of upgraded to the 928. I thought it felt better in the hand and in the pocket. It is slimmer and does everything as well as the 928 does (camera not as good for night shots but, pretty good). Yea, Nokia has better support for some exlusive apps, I would not step away from looking at a 8X if your not a big app person or keep tons of music on you...

Still, the 928 is a great phone but, I dont think it's worlds better than the HTC 8x...I had the 8X for 4 months before I upgraded...

cyrus_the_great

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I'm not in the US.
I wanted to buy the unlocked version.
I read a comparison between IPS and AMOLED screens, including their pros and cons. Except for the better blacks in the AMOLED and better power consumption, are other differences really noticeable? Like better visibility under sun light, brighter back lit, etc. Because from what I've heard about 920(or some other Lumias), they have great visibility under sun light, because of Nokia's ClearBlack technology to reduce reflection on the screen and improve improve visual image quality.

Last edited:

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
If you're on Verizon, you don't have a choice.

If you do:

1020 is the "best"
928 and 925 are neck and neck. 925 has better optics, 928 has a xenon flash (and most people won't notice the difference in day pics with equal software), 925 has newer software, 928 will get it but doesn't have it yet, 925 is available in more locations, 928 is on VZW, who despite all their crap have a really good network. Styling is subjective, 928 supports wireless charging out of the box, 1020 and 925 need special cases.

I personally wouldn't consider the others. If you care about photography at all, get the 1020. If it's secondary, I'd weigh the aesthetics of the device and the reliability of the network where you are over the feature differences between the 928 and 925.

Joel S79

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
I'm not in the US.
I wanted to buy the unlocked version.
I read a comparison between IPS and AMOLED screens, including their pros and cons. Except for the better blacks in the AMOLED and better power consumption, are other differences really noticeable? Like better visibility under sun light, brighter back lit, etc. Because from what I've heard about 920(or some other Lumias), they have great visibility under sun light, because of Nokia's ClearBlack technology to reduce reflection on the screen and improve improve visual image quality.

Wish I saw this before I responded!

AMOLED has better contrast, that makes a big difference in the "quality" of the screen. Also, on an AMOLED device, things like Glance won't kill your battery when Amber hits. AMOLED colors are a bit more oversaturated than IPS, but most people like that better. Personally, I prefer AMOLED.

The only significant difference worth talking about between the 1020 and the 925 is the extra gig of RAM and the camera. If you really care about photography, it shouldn't be an option, get the 1020. If you don't, get the 925.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos