Got unlock code from T-Mobile USA today

tai4de2

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I paid full price for my 925, at a T-Mo store. Took some cajoling but I got my unlock code for my 925 today, from T-Mobile USA, and my 925 is now unlocked.

I noticed that their front end telephone support system now understands "I want to unlock my phone" and responds with "let me make sure -- are you calling about unlocking your phone?" which is much better than last time I went through this.

Throughout this process, multiple CSRs told me that my phone's IMEI is not in their system and they couldn't even submit the request using the usual form they fill out internally. I find that disappointing and an indicator of poor WP support... can anyone imagine T-Mo selling iPhones or Galaxys that would be unknown in T-Mo's system?

* The first request resulted in "you need to have this phone for 7 days first"
* After 7 days, re-submitted. That one resulted in "we have to contact the manufacturer". Two weeks went by, no response.
* After those 2 weeks, resubmitted. That one resulted in "you need to have this phone for 40 days first"
* ...but then 2 hours later, another email arrived with the code

Strange process, but it does work with a bit of persistence.

The 40 day rule seems to be a new thing that accompanied their moving to a contractless model. I don't remember ever waiting that long before. But it it obviously possible to bypass if you get the right CSR, who knows how to fill out their form correctly. I bought the phone on 17 July, 26 days ago as I write this.

netghost_ca

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
I paid full price for my 925, at a T-Mo store. Took some cajoling but I got my unlock code for my 925 today, from T-Mobile USA, and my 925 is now unlocked.

I noticed that their front end telephone support system now understands "I want to unlock my phone" and responds with "let me make sure -- are you calling about unlocking your phone?" which is much better than last time I went through this.

Throughout this process, multiple CSRs told me that my phone's IMEI is not in their system and they couldn't even submit the request using the usual form they fill out internally. I find that disappointing and an indicator of poor WP support... can anyone imagine T-Mo selling iPhones or Galaxys that would be unknown in T-Mo's system?

* The first request resulted in "you need to have this phone for 7 days first"
* After 7 days, re-submitted. That one resulted in "we have to contact the manufacturer". Two weeks went by, no response.
* After those 2 weeks, resubmitted. That one resulted in "you need to have this phone for 40 days first"
* ...but then 2 hours later, another email arrived with the code

Strange process, but it does work with a bit of persistence.

The 40 day rule seems to be a new thing that accompanied their moving to a contractless model. I don't remember ever waiting that long before. But it it obviously possible to bypass if you get the right CSR, who knows how to fill out their form correctly. I bought the phone on 17 July, 26 days ago as I write this.

I got my unlock code yesterday, and now I'm happily using my Lumia 925 on Telus. I had to go through slightly more hoops to get the code though. I bought it at Microsoft retail store in Bellevue, and TMo CSR kept insisting that I bought it at an "unauthorized 3rd party store" (they must be kidding me)? The first two requests failed because they failed to properly put my phone make and model (blank in first case, n/a in second case), each time requiring 1-2 days for a turnaround. Each time they kept telling me and convincing me, that my phone is not a T-Mobile phone, which was really frustrating. Then I went into TMo retail store and asked the store rep to call TMo, that's when I found out about the "7 day rule", and was told I can definitely unlock it on Aug 31st (I purchased it on July 24th). Tried again on 31st, and next day received another failed response, this time because I didn't qualify (although they were all telling me that I do). This time the CS supervisor (I stopped talking to tier-1 and started immediately requesting supervisors, because regular CSR just want to create the unlock request again) told me that I have to have my last refill to be $50, although he confirmed that policy was reading "cumulative refills since account activation". I got into an argument with him and he hung up. After that they started telling me I have to contact Nokia. I contacted Nokia, and they instructed me to insist that TMo must provide the codes, and Nokia doesn't disclose them (showed a link about the subsidy lock policy on Nokia website). I even tried a conf call between Nokia and TMo but CSR in TMo kept going through his script so Nokia rep hung up without talking to him.

After all that nonsense I didn't want to deal with useless plain customer service and turned to their corporate office in Bellevue. They first instructed me to e-mail TForce@t-mobile.com, where reps started convincing me over e-mail that TMo does not unlock non-TMo phones, I had to stand up and defend my grounds with them. But later I also left a voice mail to their executive response line about their CSRs and their supervisors misleading and treating me unprofessionally, and two days later I received a call from a very nice executive response representative, who listened to all my concerns and said she would try her best to get me an unlock code. She then called back two days later and assured me that they are still working on getting the unlock code. And a week later I got an e-mail with the working unlock code. Before I contacted T-Mobile, I also filed a complaint with Attorney General in WA state about TMo's unfair business practice of locking the non-subsidized phones, which harms me as an individual and consumer, and recently I received a response, that my complaint was forwarded to their Consumer Protection Division, so this vehicle also seems to be rolling.

In the end I'm happy I received my unlock code. Hopefully, the executive response team will review all recordings of my calls to CS, and responsible CSRs and supervisors will receive proper training and coaching. I also hope that eventually Consumer Protection Division might force TMo to always unlock phones for people, who purchased them outright or don't owe anything to TMo on the phone, regardless of them being TMo customers and satisfying their internal policies or not.

ferazzz1985

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I got my unlock code yesterday, and now I'm happily using my Lumia 925 on Telus. I had to go through slightly more hoops to get the code though. I bought it at Microsoft retail store in Bellevue, and TMo CSR kept insisting that I bought it at an "unauthorized 3rd party store" (they must be kidding me)? The first two requests failed because they failed to properly put my phone make and model (blank in first case, n/a in second case), each time requiring 1-2 days for a turnaround. Each time they kept telling me and convincing me, that my phone is not a T-Mobile phone, which was really frustrating. Then I went into TMo retail store and asked the store rep to call TMo, that's when I found out about the "7 day rule", and was told I can definitely unlock it on Aug 31st (I purchased it on July 24th). Tried again on 31st, and next day received another failed response, this time because I didn't qualify (although they were all telling me that I do). This time the CS supervisor (I stopped talking to tier-1 and started immediately requesting supervisors, because regular CSR just want to create the unlock request again) told me that I have to have my last refill to be $50, although he confirmed that policy was reading "cumulative refills since account activation". I got into an argument with him and he hung up. After that they started telling me I have to contact Nokia. I contacted Nokia, and they instructed me to insist that TMo must provide the codes, and Nokia doesn't disclose them (showed a link about the subsidy lock policy on Nokia website). I even tried a conf call between Nokia and TMo but CSR in TMo kept going through his script so Nokia rep hung up without talking to him.

After all that nonsense I didn't want to deal with useless plain customer service and turned to their corporate office in Bellevue. They first instructed me to e-mail TForce@t-mobile.com, where reps started convincing me over e-mail that TMo does not unlock non-TMo phones, I had to stand up and defend my grounds with them. But later I also left a voice mail to their executive response line about their CSRs and their supervisors misleading and treating me unprofessionally, and two days later I received a call from a very nice executive response representative, who listened to all my concerns and said she would try her best to get me an unlock code. She then called back two days later and assured me that they are still working on getting the unlock code. And a week later I got an e-mail with the working unlock code. Before I contacted T-Mobile, I also filed a complaint with Attorney General in WA state about TMo's unfair business practice of locking the non-subsidized phones, which harms me as an individual and consumer, and recently I received a response, that my complaint was forwarded to their Consumer Protection Division, so this vehicle also seems to be rolling.

In the end I'm happy I received my unlock code. Hopefully, the executive response team will review all recordings of my calls to CS, and responsible CSRs and supervisors will receive proper training and coaching. I also hope that eventually Consumer Protection Division might force TMo to always unlock phones for people, who purchased them outright or don't owe anything to TMo on the phone, regardless of them being TMo customers and satisfying their internal policies or not.

Wow I certainly do not want to go through all that LOL, I will just use cellunlocker.net and wait for the unlock code whatever it costs,hope you are enjoying your Lumia 925. I am using international Lumia on Rogers not and only have HSPA+ so I ordered a t-mobile variant and will wait until I get it :)

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm still trying to unlock mine. And as I'm in Brazil, and didn't activate it in the US, I'm completely lost. The first unlocking service I paid refunded as they didn't have an unlock code and I'm still waiting for the second..

If I could only imagine it would be such a pain in the ***...

ferazzz1985

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm still trying to unlock mine. And as I'm in Brazil, and didn't activate it in the US, I'm completely lost. The first unlocking service I paid refunded as they didn't have an unlock code and I'm still waiting for the second..

If I could only imagine it would be such a pain in the ***...

Seems like it is a real pain in the rear for everyone who wants to unlock......

vitor.rf

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Perhaps you could try TForce@t-mobile.com and leaving a voicemail to their Executive Response team, pushing on their pity and explaining, that you are in Brazil and there's no way for you to get the unlock code otherwise?
Yes, the TForce rep wasn't really helpful. Although she said I could activate a new SIM from Brazil and wait for the 60-day period for an unlock code.
Voicemailing sounds nice. How could I do that?

netghost_ca

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
TMUS Profile | T-Mobile US, Inc. Common Stock Stock - Yahoo! Finance

Call 425-378-4000 (from GMail, for example) between 9 am and 5 pm PST, and when the call answered, ask to be transferred to executive response, they'll transfer you to the voice mail and will tell you, that you will get a response within next 1-2 business days. Not sure they will call a number in Brazil, but you can leave your e-mail, just make sure you spell it out clearly (preferably using military spelling like Alpha, Bravo, Charley, etc) and repeat it twice. Hope this helps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077