I guess gorilla glass isn't all it's cracked up to be...

pantsaregood

Mar 25, 2012
Visit site
It looks like impact was on the lower left corner of the phone. Structurally, the corners should be the weakest places on the phone. I've dropped my 920 down stairs onto concrete without a scratch to either the body or the screen, and my roommate has dropped his from shoulder height onto concrete (landing screen first) in a parking deck with no damage.

I would also assume that glass isn't nearly as strong to forces parallel to its surface as it is to forces perpendicular.

Anyway, sorry for your loss. Perhaps replace the screen?

b3rni3703

May 22, 2013
Visit site
........ = / i know how it must've felt..... dropped my lowly 810 face first and bwam..... planning a funeral for it later.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Has nothing to do with Gorilla Glass, and everything to do with dropping the phone. It sucks, but put the responsibility where it belongs.

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
That stinks :cry:. Mine has survived multiple drops onto concrete and hardwood floors, but I have a TPU case on it and a screen protector.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
There has to be some kind of design flaw with this phone. I have read countless stories about people dropping their phone from a low height and having the digitizer smash like a cheap glass cup. Now before people say, "yeah well glass breaks... duh" I will add that the problem seems to be more prominent with the 920 than with most other phones.

I wonder if the curved screen doesn't take impacts well or if the weight of the phone has something to do with it.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
There has to be some kind of design flaw with this phone. I have read countless stories about people dropping their phone from a low height and having the digitizer smash like a cheap glass cup. Now before people say, "yeah well glass breaks... duh" I will add that the problem seems to be more prominent with the 920 than with most other phones.

I wouldnt say that...i dropped my Samsung Focus and Galaxy S3 from a short distance to the floor (1 foot) and both cracked, much like the picture above. Im pretty sure it mostly has to do with the fact that nowadays our devices account for 90-95% glass covering the screen, compared to back in the day when it only accounted for 40-50%, bezel was enough to stand such an impact. But ya, you would thing with the bezel 920 has, it could hold up better than a cheap plastic Samsung device...but unfortunately doesnt look to be the case. Sad really.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Gorilla glass does not prevent your phone screen from cracking when it falls.

People have a total misconception of Gorilla Glass. My phone has fell several times without damage and two times with damage. Both times it got damaged, it fell at an angle. The point of impact is everything. On other ocasions with it falling face first, nothing happened.

Up to this morning, i turned around to flush the toilet and my phone fell from chest height, bounced off the toilet bowl and face first onto the floor (THANK GOD! I THOUGHT I FLUSHED IT LOL). I picked it up, dust it off, and there was no (additional) damage.

n7slc

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
That sucks. I've dropped mine twice onto concrete from about six feet. The first landed face down, no damage. The second impacted the top right corner and then came to rest on the screen. It suffered some pretty hefty damage to the case on the corner and a couple of small dings in the glass, but still intact. I hate cases on phones so I opted to install Nokia's thin case to cover the damage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077